Do you get offended by this?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
"she's only pretty with makeup"

screams.gif

I would probably be offended by that, but I think only like simplyelegant said... if it were my family yes, a stranger no.

I'm seriously not being conceited at all (i promise... trust me, i don't have the greatest self-esteem) but many strangers (and family) have told me how pretty I am without makeup. In fact I get told a lot that I don't need to wear makeup. Makes me feel kinda good... but I still have low self-esteem.

Yeah i agree with the above said, i think that if a stranger said it i wouldn't care, if it was someone i loved i would be pissed and offended.

i've heard the opposite. I know some guys can't stand if the makeup is way overdone.

Like the other girls said, if a stranger said so, probably not, if a loved one said so, yes.

Im not conceited either and dont have a lot of self esteem, but you do have to take into account jealousy. Some people would say that about you to make themselves feel better, or because they wish they could pull off your look or technique.

I know many times Ive seen really gorgeous girls or pictures of girls, and I want to think or say shes only pretty because of her gorgeous makeup, but most of the time, its not the case. Its natural beauty that is beautiful, makeup just enhances it, so a statement like "Shes only pretty with makeup on" is, IMO, shallow and usually untrue.

I think as long as people know how to use their makeup, they generally are prettier because that's the purpose of makeup - to enchance what you already have. I usually feel prettier with makeup on. But sometimes I feel cute without makeup.

But saying she's ONLY pretty with makeup, definitely offensive. Everyone's beautiful! (Not to sound cheesey)

I wouldn't mind if someone said 'she is prettier with makeup' because in my case it would be a lie to say otherwise, and why would I bother to apply makeup if I looked better without it anyway?

But I think that 'she's only pretty with makeup' suggests that the person being spoken about is ugly underneath their makeup, and I do find that offensive.

most definitely! I especially hate it when someone asks, "Does she look good with make up on?" it makes me so angry!

LOL. Ive gotten "you'd look so pretty with makeup." Bxtch. Its cool tho. One person's opinion.

I would be offended if it came from someone close to me.

Other than that they can kiss my A$$...lol

Yes! This this offends me....

I have scarred skin and feel like i look like i have chicken pox without makeup. I once came to work several times without makeup on - BIG MISTAKE! I copped comments like 'are you sick?' & 'whats wrong with you?'
frown.gif
i know its probably just because they were used to seeing me with my face done up but still......

I am embarassed to even leave the house without makeup these days which is sad and i hate looking at myself in the mirror after i get out of the shower etc with no makeup on
frown.gif

People should keep comments like that to themselves even if the person they are saying it to appears full of confidence, you just never know....

I feel naked without my makeup yet I too have been told I look good w/o makeup by others. My husband is a professional photographer and uses me as a model sometimes and I must admit that one of his photos that gets the most attention is one of me w/o a stitch of m/u and my hair is undone and falls naturally. I was mortified by the photo as I to have low self-esteem but that photo made me wonder if sometimes I hide behind my m/u? But I am a total m/u freak forever.

My advice is to do what makes you feel good and not to let the opinions of others hurt you no matter who they come from!

I wouldn't care if it's someone like family or close friend, but if it was a random stranger who said that, it's clearly a bit offensive. Sure, not everyone's perfect but there's nothing wrong with a little bit of makeup. Unless you're putting way too much on at work per se when it's something you should be wearing while clubbing is a different story. To each their own. I usually say if someone is 'talking' about you, they're just jealous and hatin :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I'm so used to applying MU everyday for work, and one time I came in without any since I was running late for and was sorta sick, my coworkers were like "whoaaa, you ok? you don't look too good" I'm like "yea, this is how i should look every day but i DON'T have MU on!" lol

I feel that I do look a lot better with makeup anyways but I'd still be offended in some cases. For instance, if I was someone I really liked. If some random in the street said it I wouldn't give a crap. For a start, they wouldn't have seen me without makeup anyways. But also just because I wouldn't care about the opinions of someone I didn't know and who meant nothing to me.

me tooo.

Originally Posted by SimplyElegant /img/forum/go_quote.gif I think it would depend on who said it. Someone I loved, maybe, but not a random stranger.

I've heard that about me... the whole, "she's makeup pretty". It sucks to hear it, yeah. Stranger or not, It's never fun.

It's true, I know haha... but chea.

Back