Is ID Bare Minerals the best mineral makeup? Or is all just hype?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Okay, I am kinda new at this, so I wasn't really sure where to post this question.

But maybe some of you can help me with my question, or tell me where I should post my question to get an answer.

Okay, my question is about Bare Minerals.

I admit it, I am a total sucker. I watch the Bare Minerals

infomercial, and I am totally convinced that this is the answer

to all of my makeup prayers.

But then cynicism and that darn reasoning thing kicks in and reminds

me that when something sounds too good to be true, it usually is.

However, I feel like I must find out for my self.

I can't just let the chance to have perfect, glowing, flawless skin

get away from me.

So I am asking for help from those of you who have used Bare Minerals.

Is Bare Minerals just hype? Is it as good as it looks?

Or is it all just slick marketing?

I am totally aware that I am very susceptible to being suckered by clever marketing and the way things are presented and packaged. If a product looks cool, and makes all sorts of wonderful claims, I want to want to believe the claims and buy the product. I guess that is why companies spend so much money on advertising (duh).

Is Bare Minerals makeup really better than other mineral makeup out there.

How does Bare Minerals compare with other brands of mineral makeup?

It makes sense that Bare Minerals would be better because they have been making mineral makeup longer than any other company.

It has only been recently that everyone has jumped on the mineral

bandwagon.

However, Max Factor products have been around for a really long time too, but I am pretty sure their stuff is crap. And I am sure people are still buying it too.

Oh gosh, I am so confused!

I am a little afraid to go to the local Bare Escentuals store because I am afraid that the sales girls are going to be pretty hardcore pushy about selling me the products.

I just spoke to one of their representatives on the phone, I was just trying to get a catalog mailed to me, and she made me promise that I would go to the Bare Escentuals near my home so I could get color matched.

I tried to explain that I am extremely shy, and I am embarrassed about the condition of my skin, and I don't really want some stranger putting makeup on me.

But she wouldn't take no for an answer, so I gave in and said I would.

Have any of you had your self color matched at Bare Escentuals?

If yes, do the sales girls put a lot of pressure on you to buy the products?

I would appreciate any advice.

Thank you.

Hi there!

I have been using Bare Escentuals for about 7 yrs. I love it, it is the best in my opinion. But everyone has their favorites that work best for them. I have tried samples of other MMU companies. I was not impressed. I did not like the texture and coverage. Plus, they made me break out within a day of using them. You can always try samples from other companies to see what works best for you. But please, do not get Sheer Cover. It was the worst I have ever tried. Plus, you get locked in to the membership once you buy the first kit. RAW minerals does that too. HTH

But, please remember, everyone is different and I can only speak for myself. Also, I have not been to a BE Boutique yet, I purchase at Sephora and QVC, so I cannot answer the questions concerning sales associates.

Kim
rocknroll2.gif

BE was my first try at mineral makeup. I hated it only made me look like a orange disco ball with huge pores. They like many other companies do not make a foundation that is light enough for my skin and I never want to be that shiny.

I do like their eye shadows and I don’t mind their warmth.

With some experimenting I think you will find another mineral company to buy from that is prefect for you and will be half the price or less.

Well, if it is Bare Minerals ID or whatever it's called (different from BE) Then I quite liked it when I tried it instore. The women who sell it in the department stores are usually totally up to give you a makeover, so you might as well go and see how you like it instore.

The colour range isn't huge I dont think. I hope this helps!

Bare Escentuals (BE) and BareMinerals ID are the same thing. Bare Escentuals is the company name, BareMinerals are the products.

Kim
rocknroll2.gif

BE was the first brand I tried, and I hated it. I couldn't get a color match, and it made me itch like crazy! The kabuki brush isn't too great either as I feel it's VERY scratchy! I've tried EDM too, but my favorite by far is Urban Decay. No matter what skin tone you are, you can use Universal for a perfect color match. It truly is a Universal color. It goes on like butter!

really? I find that SO confusing! I'll check the packaging next time that I go instore!

this is the same.

but if you are new in MMU I will suggest you to try an online brands and not BE.

but this is my opinion ofcourse.

I tried before 3 years a go the ID bare prodcuts and I didn't like it because of the bismuth.

but when I tried a handmake brand I fall in love!

Hi,,,

wat works for others mite not work for you and its vice versa...just take the plunge and order samples from some good companies...I am sure you dun have to be shy anymore aft discovering the great ones for yourself. JUst a matter of time and sampling you may find the one that really suits you and for you to fall in love. Check out all the threads for various MM and check out the raves abt it.

Good luck dearie..

I was also a sucker for the t.v. ads and believed their slogan that the shades are very forgiving. The wrong shade is the wrong shade and BE does not have many shades to choose from. I bought what the saleslady said was a perfect match and used it for ages until I saw myself in group photo and compared to everyone else I had a yellow face. The sales people are there to get you to buy their product, I would rather send away for samples and try them in the privacy of my home and usually there is enough for more than one application so you can wear the foundation for a couple of days to see if you like it. I've found much better matches with Everyday Minerals, Signature Minerals and Lumiere for at least half the cost of BE. I would encourage you to try the sample kits some of these companies offer free if you pay postage. The bismuth in BE also causes skin problems for some people.

I used BE for a couple years and liked it, but didn't love it. The lightest foundation was still too dark. I've never been able to wear Warmth, it's just too damned orange on me. Annnd, I wasn't fond of the price.

Then I found EDM and switched to them. Much cheaper, and the lightest color is a perfect match to me.

I am dying to try out Fyrinnae's mineral foundation, though. Oh, and the couple things I DO miss from BE? Clear Radiance...I used that as a blush, and it was PERFECT for me....and the Gossamer face shimmer stuff. But, Fyrinnae's is an excellent replacement.

It's the most advertised MMU brand. I tried it, and i quickly went elsewhere. the foundation (close but not exact match) wasn't lasting long, i didn't like much the coverage, and i reacted to bismuth. I don't like hteir sort of primer that came in the kit, and their brushes are not the softest.

It's certainly a brand i wouldn't recommend.

I suggest Prescriptives!

I was never into wearing face make-up but it truly made

a difference. Only problem is that they don't have many

colors to choose from, but check it out.

Like everyone says, try to find some samples. You'll

never know until you try it.

Best wishes!

xo; Michelle

Originally Posted by Stellaria /img/forum/go_quote.gif BE is simply the most heavily advertised brand of MMU, not necessarily the best. Exactly what i was thinking.

Originally Posted by Adrienne /img/forum/go_quote.gif Exactly what i was thinking. Yep.

I haven't tried it yet, simply because it seems to be so overpriced when compared to other brands.

Latest posts

Back