Sarah Palin's 17 year old daughter is Pregnant

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
September 1, 2008, 12:16 PM

Palin’s Daughter Pregnant

Posted by Vaughn Ververs| 1

source

Alaska Governor Sarah Palin will announce today that her 17-year-old daughter is five months pregnant, Reuters reports. The announcement is “intended to knock down rumors by liberal bloggers that Palin faked her own pregnancy to cover up for her child,†says the news service.

In a statement, the Palin family says that Bristol Palin is “about five months pregnant†and that she intends to marry the father. “We have been blessed with five wonderful children who we love with all our heart and mean everything to us," the Palins said in the statement. "Our beautiful daughter Bristol came to us with news that as parents we knew would make her grow up faster than we had ever planned. As Bristol faces the responsibilities of adulthood, she knows she has our unconditional love and support.â€

The Palin family asked the media to “respect our daughter†and her privacy. According to the Reuters report, John McCain’s campaign was aware of the pregnancy when the Arizona senator selected Palin to be his running mate last week.

I am sure there are right wing Republicans that are mortified, but hey its not that uncommon these days.

I guess in these situations, the whole families of those running for election are considered fair game...

Hopefully Obama/Biden will choose to take the high road on this one.

This is fantastic to me. This whole election is just straight out of Desperate Housewives.

Originally Posted by StereoXGirl /img/forum/go_quote.gif I guess in these situations, the whole families of those running for election are considered fair game...
Hopefully Obama/Biden will choose to take the high road on this one.

i don't think the Dems will pounce as the Republicans to their credit this election hasn't staked claim to moral righteousness. I honestly think that most of the grief will come from the right wing of the party.
So it is apparent that the McCain campaign knew ahead of time this was going to be released. The real question then is what does this say about McCain?

My wife's reaction was interesting. "I thought McCain was one of those holier than thou candidates. Well apparently he has a much more tolerant side."

I agree.

Originally Posted by Darla_G /img/forum/go_quote.gif i don't think the Dems will pounce as the Republicans to their credit this election hasn't staked claim to moral righteousness. I honestly think that most of the grief will come from the right wing of the party.
So it is apparent that the McCain campaign knew ahead of time this was going to be released. The real question then is what does this say about McCain?

My wife's reaction was interesting. "I thought McCain was one of those holier than thou candidates. Well apparently he has a much more tolerant side."

I agree.

I don't see Republicans openly attacking their own candidates, though. And even for the far religious right...something like this isn't exactly going to be enough to make them want to vote for Obama.
I've never thought of McCain as holier-than-thou? He's always kept his beliefs close to his chest and has been more of a moderate Republican than a member of the religious right...

I saw this today and when I read Sarah Palin's remarks, I was ok with it.

I never thought of McCain as being holy-er than though at all. If anything, he's a maverick bigtime.

You see in Europe, things like this would rarely happen. She'd prolly be on birth control.

What was McCain thinking? He knew that his running mate's teenage daughter is pregant? And he choose her anyways? Sound like political suicide to me.

I mean it was a Hail Mary play to choose her anyways - and now this?!

The wolves (media) will be all over this...

And you have to know that a lot of voters are saying to themselves "If she can't control what is going on in her own home, I sure as heck don't want her making decisions about my country".

Tony, you, I and Shaundra might be among the more progressive part of the Republican party that can deal with this. It is not a personal reflection on Sarah Palin, but Carolyn is right there is a big part of the party that will be missing come election day.

Originally Posted by Carolyn /img/forum/go_quote.gif

What was McCain thinking? He knew that his running mate's teenage daughter is pregant? And he choose her anyways? Sound like political suicide to me.I mean it was a Hail Mary play to choose her anyways - and now this?!

The wolves (media) will be all over this...

And you have to know that a lot of voters are saying to themselves "If she can't control what is going on in her own home, I sure as heck don't want her making decisions about my country".

Better than trying to HIDE something like Clinton did for years. Political suicide is running for president when you have had three years on the senate and half of that time was on the campaign trail. Plus, McCain is definitely more of a moderate Republican than a member of the religious right...so shots like that don't work.
Thinking points:

VP is pretty much meaningless, you know.

Obama's a tax and spend Liberal with no regard for individual liberty.

Joseph Biden told Israeli officials that they need to accept the idea Iran will acquire nuclear weapons. (WTF!)

Biden, chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, visiting Israel several years ago, told Israeli officials diplomacy and sanctions would be futile against Iran.(OMG!)

If one of Obama's daughters were pregnant and unwed the media wingnuts would call for his ( Barack's ) replacement on the ticket and that if he didnt quit the ticket he would be giving a very bad example to our nations teenagers by condoning his daughters sexual behavior.If its a GOP'er it Ok and shows that her mother is very caring, by not forcing her daughter to have an abortion.Politics is so sickening. Hypocrisy abounds, and that is not just by the politicians.

VP is pretty much meaningless? I thought the VP had a ton of responsibility.

And they would assume the Presidency, if the President could not do the job for a variety of reasons.

The VP is just as important as the President - they are joined at the hip.

Cheney is a deadweight but Bush chose him - and you elected both of them in.

Originally Posted by Beyonce Welch /img/forum/go_quote.gif If one of Obama's daughters were pregnant and unwed the media wingnuts would call for his ( Barack's ) replacement on the ticket and that if he didnt quit the ticket he would be giving a very bad example to our nations teenagers by condoning his daughters sexual behavior.If its a GOP'er it Ok and shows that her mother is very caring, by not forcing her daughter to have an abortion.Politics is so sickening. Hypocrisy abounds, and that is not just by the politicians. What would be hypocrisy is if she would have told her daughter to get an abortion. Since she is pro-life. Just because her daughter chose to keep the baby does not in any way mean that she condones her daughter's behavior (i.e. having unprotected teenage sex).

Obama did make a statement today and said any mention of Bristol Palin's pregnancy was totally off limits. Like i said Shaundra that will not be the concern.

You know what will tell the story, how McCain's contributions continue to fare. in the few days since he has announced he supposedly has brought in $10M. Now what?

Originally Posted by StereoXGirl /img/forum/go_quote.gif What would be hypocrisy is if she would have told her daughter to get an abortion. Since she is pro-life. Just because her daughter chose to keep the baby does not in any way mean that she condones her daughter's behavior (i.e. having unprotected teenage sex). I dont recommend having an abortion for any woman, and I wasn't calling her mother a hypocrite. I was calling the rightwing media and their supporters hypocrites. " Go and sin no more " Jesus said.

Originally Posted by Sexy Sadie /img/forum/go_quote.gif Why the hell is`nt the girl on the pill if she had a sexual relationship? It's possible that she was on the pill. I know people who have missed one and gotten pregnant. *shrugs*

Originally Posted by StereoXGirl /img/forum/go_quote.gif It's possible that she was on the pill. I know people who have missed one and gotten pregnant. *shrugs* according to womenshealth.gov even missing a pill it is 96-99% effective. (I guess a certain amount remains in the system)

Originally Posted by Darla_G /img/forum/go_quote.gif according to womenshealth.gov even missing a pill it is 96-99% effective. (I guess a certain amount remains in the system) Well, apparently it wasn't effective enough for some people. lol. Because, like I said, I know people that it's happened to.
Then again, the only 100 percent effective means of contraception is abstinence. lol.

From Yahoo regarding the response of the religious right:

Quote:
...Prominent religious conservatives, many of whom have been lukewarm toward McCain's candidacy, predicted that Palin's daughter's pregnancy would not diminish conservative Christian enthusiasm for the vice presidential hopeful, a staunch abortion opponent.

Focus on the Family founder James Dobson issued a statement commending the Palins for "for not just talking about their pro-life and pro-family values, but living them out even in the midst of trying circumstances." He added: "Being a Christian does not mean you're perfect. Nor does it mean your children are perfect. But it does mean there is forgiveness and restoration when we confess our imperfections to the Lord."

Roberta Combs, president of the Christian Coalition of America called the pregnancy private. "It's a matter that should stay in the family and they have to work through it together. My prayers go out to them."

Added Combs: "We're excited about the governor and think she's going to do well."

Mathew Staver, dean of Liberty University School of Law, said: "We're all sinners."

"We all make mistakes. Certainly, the ideal is not to get pregnant out of wedlock. But she made the right decision after her mistake," he said.

Back