Makeup Course Suggestions - Sydney, Australia

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all

Just wondering if anyone from Oz can recommend a good makeup course?

I currently work full time so i guess there would need to be part time options or evening classes....

Would appreciate any help as there's sooooooo many out there
smile.gif

Academy of makeup looks cool, but i have no idea at the moment!

I'm excited!!!

hmmm. How hardcore do you want to go? if just for personal pleasure maybe you could do something through community college? like Eastern Suburbs Evening college? they're not particularly expensive and they're in the evenings?

Hey Katey
smile.gif

Like Rosie has already asked, how in depth do you want to go in the make up industry? If you're looking to just do basic glamour/bridal then I'd say go for a Cert 11 make up services, that gives you the foundation of what make up is all about and teaches you how to do day/evening make up as well as glamour and bridal. The basics you need to be a make up artist. You don't even need to go to a fancy college to do this course, this one can be done at tafe.

If you want to work more in film and tv then the diploma of make up is the way to go, it covers everything from basic make up all the way through to special effects and prosthetics.

Here are a few make up colleges that I have personally researched myself, as I have looked into doing a make up as well. I have gone to open days at a few of them, and all these are pretty top notch schools, expensive, but good.

Also, another important thing to find out, is, to see if the school is accreditated. If it's not an accredited course, you won't be able to get insurance (and that's something you WILL need to get, if you are serious about making this into a career) Look out for this logo when you get any course info.

NRT.jpg

The Make Up Academy - Academy of Makeup

Sydney College of Make Up Art - Sydney College of Make-Up Art

Cameron Jane - Home |Cameron Jane Make up &amps; Design

Mask Academy - Mask Academy

3 Arts - 3arts

I hope that helps a bit! The best thing you can do it, research a whole bunch of colleges, get info sent out to you, go to open days, go visit the college and you'll get a feel as to which is the best place for YOU. You have to be comfortable studying there and making sure that you are going to get the most out of the course you choose.

Hi guys

Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts
smile.gif

I would like to get serious about it but unfortunately i can't really take too much time away from work due to the mortgage. So i guess i would be limited to the makeup colleges that do evening courses or perhaps even 1 day per week/fortnight as i'm sure i could arrange (and hopefully afford) to go part-time.....

pinksugar - thanks, evening college may be the way to go, although how do u think they would differ to a proper makeup college, i guess that would b my concern?

Bec - I will most definately take your advice also and check out open days, get my hands on some info packs etc. it won't hurt even if i just end up dreaming hehe

Thanks for the list of courses 2, some of them i had never heard of b4 so this will certainly give me somewhere to start
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Bec688 /img/forum/go_quote.gif Hey Katey
smile.gif

Like Rosie has already asked, how in depth do you want to go in the make up industry? If you're looking to just do basic glamour/bridal then I'd say go for a Cert 11 make up services, that gives you the foundation of what make up is all about and teaches you how to do day/evening make up as well as glamour and bridal. The basics you need to be a make up artist. You don't even need to go to a fancy college to do this course, this one can be done at tafe.

If you want to work more in film and tv then the diploma of make up is the way to go, it covers everything from basic make up all the way through to special effects and prosthetics.

Here are a few make up colleges that I have personally researched myself, as I have looked into doing a make up as well. I have gone to open days at a few of them, and all these are pretty top notch schools, expensive, but good.

Also, another important thing to find out, is, to see if the school is accreditated. If it's not an accredited course, you won't be able to get insurance (and that's something you WILL need to get, if you are serious about making this into a career) Look out for this logo when you get any course info.

http://www.maskmakeup.com.au/images/NRT.jpg

The Make Up Academy - Academy of Makeup

Sydney College of Make Up Art - Sydney College of Make-Up Art

Cameron Jane - Home |Cameron Jane Make up &amps; Design

Mask Academy - Mask Academy

3 Arts - 3arts

I hope that helps a bit! The best thing you can do it, research a whole bunch of colleges, get info sent out to you, go to open days, go visit the college and you'll get a feel as to which is the best place for YOU. You have to be comfortable studying there and making sure that you are going to get the most out of the course you choose.

I just checked out all of the courses you sent me online
smile.gif

Mask Academy seems to suit my needs best as its pretty close by to home and has part time options for all courses - have you heard anything about these courses at all?

Thanks again
smile.gif

any time. In my experience, how good the course is really depends on the teachers.

My friend did makeup and beauty therapy through a course at a reputable school, and she said they didn't teach them creativeness, like that there was just a standard 'look' for weddings a standard 'formal' look etc! I think that's outrageous and I would be super annoyed if I spent heaps to be taught that!

so yes, very much dependant on how good your teacher is, and if you can't afford much, I'd look into evening courses as the cheapest option... maybe you can google the teachers and see if you can find any info on them before you sign up?

Originally Posted by pinksugar /img/forum/go_quote.gif any time. In my experience, how good the course is really depends on the teachers.
My friend did makeup and beauty therapy through a course at a reputable school, and she said they didn't teach them creativeness, like that there was just a standard 'look' for weddings a standard 'formal' look etc! I think that's outrageous and I would be super annoyed if I spent heaps to be taught that!

so yes, very much dependant on how good your teacher is, and if you can't afford much, I'd look into evening courses as the cheapest option... maybe you can google the teachers and see if you can find any info on them before you sign up?

That is an awesome idea
smile.gif
gotta love google hehe
Will keep you posted....

Rosie is right, the quality of your teacher does make a huge impact. It can be hit and miss though. I had some fabulous teachers when I was studying beauty therapy and I also had some pretty average teachers, it's the luck of the draw, you can't always pick and choose. You won't have the same teacher for every subject either, so you've really got to try and make the most of it.

Mask Academy is very good, I have been there a few times for some make up technique classes and I found them to be very good, again, see if you can make an appointment to meet the principal of the school and have a look around the college, to get the feel for it.

Originally Posted by Bec688 /img/forum/go_quote.gif Rosie is right, the quality of your teacher does make a huge impact. It can be hit and miss though. I had some fabulous teachers when I was studying beauty therapy and I also had some pretty average teachers, it's the luck of the draw, you can't always pick and choose. You won't have the same teacher for every subject either, so you've really got to try and make the most of it.
Mask Academy is very good, I have been there a few times for some make up technique classes and I found them to be very good, again, see if you can make an appointment to meet the principal of the school and have a look around the college, to get the feel for it.

Fabulous! Its nice to hear some positive feedback from someone who's studied there
smile.gif
makes me realise im making the right decision, thanks for your help. I hope to check out the place within the next few weeks and then begin my journey starting with certificate II in nail technology
smile.gif

Aweome Katey
smile.gif
Cert II in nail tech is a great course, I enjoyed studying it. It will also open up other doors if you want to continue your beauty studies.

Just a thought, it's a lot cheaper doing nail tech at tafe than it is at a private college, and it's only a semester course, and you learn all the same things, might be something to think about?
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Bec688 /img/forum/go_quote.gif Aweome Katey
smile.gif
Cert II in nail tech is a great course, I enjoyed studying it. It will also open up other doors if you want to continue your beauty studies.
Just a thought, it's a lot cheaper doing nail tech at tafe than it is at a private college, and it's only a semester course, and you learn all the same things, might be something to think about?
smile.gif

Very good point. I just jumped on the Tafe website to check it out and it is heaps cheaper. It costs pretty much double to study it at a private college..... its crazy! I guess the reason why i wanted to study the nails at Mask Academy was to get a feel for the academy and see if i really liked it b4 spending the big bucks on the makeup course there.
Decisions decisions...hmmmm....

You seem to know your stuff and i really appreciate your advice and help while i'm starting out.

Just out of curiosity can i ask do you currently work in the makeup industry or have your own business etc etc?

I have enrolled with Mask Academy doing a basic course to get me started. It is simply design and apply makeup. That will go till the end of December and then i'll enrol in Tafe which will start Feb 9th
smile.gif

Excellent! I really hope that you enjoy the course, let us know how you go along the way!

Originally Posted by katey_pie237 /img/forum/go_quote.gif Very good point. I just jumped on the Tafe website to check it out and it is heaps cheaper. It costs pretty much double to study it at a private college..... its crazy! I guess the reason why i wanted to study the nails at Mask Academy was to get a feel for the academy and see if i really liked it b4 spending the big bucks on the makeup course there.
Decisions decisions...hmmmm....

You seem to know your stuff and i really appreciate your advice and help while i'm starting out.

Just out of curiosity can i ask do you currently work in the makeup industry or have your own business etc etc?

I've been in the beauty industry since I was 16.. so a few years now
wink.gif
I work in a day spa but I also work for myself doing beauty/makeup/nails.

Hey Bec

I completed the Design and Apply Course with Mask Academy last year and thoroughly enjoyed it. A few days ago i met with the principal of 'Artistry of Makeup Academy' as this had course options that suited my needs for what i am looking for in a course next.

I was just wondering if you have heard anything about this academy or even attended yourself?

I must say i was very impressed after my catch up with the principal, now its just a matter of making a decision.

Hope you can help!

smile.gif

Hi Katie,

I was having difficulty posting anything before - not sure if my last message reached you...

Edit: links removed

Thanks

Nick

Latest posts

Back