Psoriasis Information

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The Sad Situation of Psoriasis

Gin’s scalp is soaked: You could solve the world’s energy crisis by harvesting the oil in my hair. I washed/conditioned it yesterday morning at 6:00 am. By noon, it was an oil slick. I try to fully dry it so I can add some dry shampoo to combat the problem. I’ve tried clarifying shampoos. I can’t “not†condition my roots as I have psoriasis and dandruff, which is only combated by Aveda’s scalp shampoo and conditioner. I use their scalp spray as well. I’ve tried Kiehls scalp toner, which is completely useless. Any suggestions? What should I be looking for in a product?

If psoriasis is somehow part of your oily scalp problem, you might have some success treating it with a new product called Psorent. We’ve blogged before (in our usual tongue in cheek style) about how America’s next top model could help cure your psoriasis. But your question started us thinking that psoriasis is certainly a serious situation. Ok, all kidding aside, we thought it would be worthwhile reviewing the basics of psoriasis (info courtesy of Psorent.com).

What is psoriasis?

Psoriasis is a chronic condition - it never goes away and can’t be cured. It is an immune-mediated, genetic disease manifesting in the skin and/or the joints. There are several types of psoriasis. In plaque psoriasis, the most common type, patches of skin called “lesions†become inflamed and covered by silvery white scales. The severity of psoriasis can vary from person to person; however, for most people, psoriasis tends to be mild.

What causes psoriasis?

No one knows exactly what causes psoriasis, but it is believed to have a genetic component. Most researchers agree that the immune system is somehow mistakenly triggered, which speeds up the growth cycle of skin cells. A normal skin cell matures and falls off the body’s surface in 28 to 30 days. But a psoriatic skin cell takes only three to four days to mature and move to the surface. Instead of falling off (shedding), the cells pile up and form the lesions.

How is Psoriasis diagnosed?

A physical examination confirms the diagnosis of psoriasis. The precise findings depend on the patient’s type of psoriasis. In most patients, the presence of red lesions and plaques, combined with a history suggestive of psoriasis (i.e. family history) finalizes the diagnosis. However, in some cases, the diagnosis can be challenging because some types of psoriasis resemble other skin conditions, such as eczema, fungal infections, and allergic reactions. Rarely, the doctor will need to take a small skin sample (biopsy) that’s examined under a microscope to determine the exact type of psoriasis and to rule out other disorders.

What are symptoms of psoriasis?

• Red patches of skin covered with silvery scales
  • Small scaling spots (commonly seen in children)
  • Dry, cracked skin that may bleed
  • Itching, burning or soreness
  • Thickened, pitted or ridged nails
  • Swollen and stiff joints
How is psoriasis treated?
Because there are several types of psoriasis, treatment needs to be highly individualized. Common psoriasis treatments can be divided into three main types:

• Topical treatments - Used alone, creams and ointments that are applied directly to the skin can effectively treat mild to moderate psoriasis.
  • Light therapy - The simplest and easiest form of phototherapy involves exposing the skin to controlled amounts of natural sunlight. Other forms of light therapy include the use of artificial ultraviolet A (UVA) or ultraviolet B (UVB) light either alone or in combination with medications.
  • Oral medications - For more severe forms of the disease, some patients may be prescribed medications that are taken internally, either orally or injected.
References: 1. National Psoriasis Foundation: Frequently asked questions

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/psoriasis/DS00193/DSECTION=2
Source: http://ca.mc384.mail.yahoo.com/mc/sh...WCL7Jk8&f=1&m=

Thanks for the info Carolyn! This was really interesting to read.

I've met someone who suffered from psoriasis but I had no idea the symptoms could be that bad. That's awful
frown.gif

Thanks Carolyn, lots of information here, i agree it was interesting to read. I'm so glad i don't have psoriasis.

Carolyn, you are an angel for posting this info. I have psoriasis (most in my scalp) since I was 2yrs old, I'm 40 now, and is a living nightmare. And what I notice is that is not a miracle cure for psoriasis, just temporary relief with each different treatment. It's just a matter of controlling not curing.

I will take time to relax and read the links you posted, I'm always looking for updates on Psoriasis.

Thanks again.

i have psoriasis, i get it every where but my arms and my face/scalp though i do get it on my ears randomly lol.

i actually first found out i had psoriasis in 8th grade cause i got the lesions all over my inner thighs and i freaked out that i had an STD even though i had not even kissed a boy at that time. (i also had never heard of psoriasis despite the fact that about 5 of my cousins, 2 of my uncles and my grandpa have it).

for anyone in this thread who does have psoriasis (that is not in the scalp cause that most likely behaves very diffrently) i have found two ways to make your life easier. i keep my skin really moisturized so that i can find the psoriasis bumps before they burst into the scaly patches. and secondly once i identify a bump that is psoriasis i imediatly start the topical steroid i have so that it will go away faster

if all else fails move somewhere warm like the bahama's. it is believed that colder weather trigers psoriasis

Back