Does anyone out there utilize Way Bandy's makeup techniques...

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
...and, if so, where do you find some of the necessary products?

I just obtained a copy of his out-of-print book, Designing Your Face. He was/is such a well-respected makeup artist.... I'm eager to try out some of his techniques, but am not sure where to find some of the recommended "equipment." Some examples are:

Transparent red-colored fluid (The closest I've been able to come to this is BeneTint, but, since it's a stain, I don't know if it's a good idea to use something like this in the "Complexion Prime Coat" that is mixed and applied all over the face.)

Transparent peach-colored fluid

Transparent bronze-colored fluid

No. 6325 artist pencil

Red creamy paste

Who has read this book? Does anyone apply his techniques, and, if so, any tips on what products you use for them?

I know this is probably a pretty obsure topic, but I appreciate any help!

TIA,

Amy

Ive been wanting to get that book. I have it on my amazon wishlist but still havent got around to it. Could you tell me more about whats in it?

Hey!

I, too, got his book (along with his much more obscure 1981 release Styling your Face which is like a Designing your face/Face Forward hybrid) and was very confused where to start! But, reading some of the tips from his later book cleared up the confusion.

First, I don't even know where you got completley neutral toned creamy pastes! For the life of me, I couldn't find the beige creamy pastes!

Benetint should be alright to use in the CPC, as it *does* wash off, even though it's theoretically a "stain"

As for the other fluids, I've really tried to think about what he used for these fluids. I even experimented with diluted food coloring and even mixing powder eyeshadows into it to get the effect, and they actually work ok. All I can honestly think is that they were probably a bunch of different tints available at theatrical supply stores at one point in time, but everywhere I've looked (and asked) I've been coming up empty.

But really, I got to thinking that In 1977, the foundation shades were simply vulgar, and that is the main reason that he mixed the CPC. I think that today, he would use a single product for foundation. For instance, In his later book, he no longer pushes the CPC and simply suggests "beige liquid foundation that matches the colour of the skin on the neck".

In Styling your face The "all american face" is virtually the updated version of the Designing your Face look, and he says to use a "Golden-beige foundation. It should lack pink or rose tones. It should be a straight creamy beige in colour, with a slightly golden yellow tint" In modern-day terms, use a good neutral foundation shade that matches your skin coloring and that borders on yellow. Because that is truly all the CPC was. (The mixture you apply to your face is 2 drops of foundation, 2 drops of skin freshener/water, and 1 drop of moisturizer) Then, over harder to cover areas, you apply a second coat.

The no. 6325 artists pencil was made by Eberhard Faber, but it has since been absorbed by Sanford. If you go to an art supply store, you should be able to find it under Sanford Ebony pencil 14420, though it isn't nearly as good quality. Sigh.

Red creamy paste was pretty much just bright red cream rouge, which you may be able to find. Another alternative would be (seriously) a red lipstick applied very skillfully with a finger (as many of the same ingredients in cream rouge are in lipstick), or, seeing as it's just applied as a blush, you could use a matte, red powder blusher and a red lipstick mixed with lip gloss for the lips.

It really is disappointing how no one knows of this book nowadays, and how few of the products he recommended are still available!

Amanda- You can purchase this book at Alibris Books for $0.99! (does not include shipping)- but it is like almost getting it for free!

Hope this helps! Enjoy!

Marie-Elena

Hi Amy,

I have both of his books and have used his routine with great success. (The other one is called "Styling Your Face"). For the transparent colored fluids, Vincent Long's Cheek and Gel Stains work wonderfully well. They come in 7 clear and 3 frosty shades. For Peach, use color "My Sunshine". For Bronze, "Neo Aura". For Red, "Liquid Kiss". He deliberately avoided naming specific products because he knew that the products he recommended would eventually be discontinued. That's the nature of the cosmetic industry. On the plus side, cosmetics today are far more advanced, lighter, longer-lasting and more numerous than in his lifetime, making it much easier to recreate his famous looks.

I like the "Styling Your Face" book better as it gives you a lot more options (eleven for females and four for males) whereas "Designing Your Face" only gives one basic option. The key points are these:

1. Don't use foundation straight from the bottle. Thinning it with toner (or mineral water) and a serum or moisturizer (all of which can and should be adjusted to your skin type) creates a foundation that is ultra natural and extremely long lasting, topped with a very minimal dusting of powder. Try it! Use the Longo gel stains to customize the colors (red to brighten sallow complexions, bronze if you are tan or peach and bronze for a warn glow).

2. Don't be afraid of bright colors if they are well blended. The bright red creamy blush is a good example  Kevyn Aucoin (who grew up idolizing Bandy and then went on to die tragically at a similar young age) has a makeup line with very creamy moist blushes but there are many others such as Stila's Convertible Color, Armani's Blushing Fabric. I also like Daniel Sandler's Watercolor Blushes, which used to be avail. from QVC but perhaps no longer.

3. Eye: Bandy "invented" tight-lining, that is lining the eye from underneath the top lashes and from over the bottom lashes. It does give a subtle yet intense emphasis to the eyes without showing a visible "line" as such. Tarte makes an eyeliner with an extremely fine point called Inner Rim Eyeliner, I think, which holds up very well to this technique. Very few pencils do! It comes in several colors.

4. Lips: I love his tip to draw straight lines for lining the lips. It really creates the neatest and most natural yet polished outline ever. He also recommends always filling in the entire lip with the pencil, then topping it with lipstick and or gloss. The color lasts much better this way.

5. For shading, contouring or cheeks and eyes, I just use a good long lasting concealer. L'oreal True match has a good range of darker colors as does Cargo OneBase and of course MAC.

Good luck and have fun!

I want to say that it's wonderful to know there are still fans of our iconic muse, Way Bandy. At 17, because of him, I decided to delve into the field of makeup artistry- that was 35 years ago. It's the only profession I've ever known. Through his work in my early years, I lived vicariously, and have touched on some of the greatest moments anyone could ask for. I've lived in Manhattan for 20 years, traveled globally, touched every celebrity you can think of, consultant to cosmetic lines and embraced the fashion scene like it was my own! All because of him and what he represents. HE STARTED IT ALL!

I loved Way Bandy's work. Never read STYLING YOUR FACE, but DESIGNING YOUR FACE was my introduction to the world of contouring techniques.

Back