Removing hair from my face makes me break out!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Like a lot of girls I have some hair on my upper lip, chin, & also some around my brows/side burn area. I also have a little hair on my cheeks, but I don't think anyone can see it unless I'm in the sun. It seems like any hair removal method on my face makes me break out! I don't know what to do. I tried putting on witch hazel after removing hair, but it didn't work.

when they thread, they usually put baby powder but i don't think that does anything to help the breakouts. If you've waxed it could possibly be the wax? Try an all natural wax or something if they have that.

I mean if worst came to worst you could bleach but I know it's not all that good for your skin.

It could be irritation or ingrown hairs...maybe a dermatologist could give you an idea of some good products to use to lessen the irritation for after you remove the hair.

Or maybe you could try an aftershave of some kind? That might help.

My skin sometimes gets a little irritated by bleach, but if memory serves correct, it doesn't really make me break out. Waxing, threading, plucking, etc, all make me break out though. It's not just ingrown hairs or irritation unfortunately. I'll try an all natural wax.
smile.gif
I have previously used wax for sensitive skin, which didn't work any better, but I don't know if it was all natural or not. I appreciate the feedback! I didn't expect anyone to reply that quickly.
lol.gif
Thank you both very much!

Do you use any medication on your face, where you remove the hairs?

I'm thinking Retin A or benzoil peroxide - something like that.

I read that shaving the hair is much better than plucking- for the surrounding skin. If I come across a source, I'll edit this post and include it.

You might consider making a paste with an aspirin and a bit of water. Then applying it where ever you plucked. It will help prevent a breakout and it will also be soothing to the skin.

Man, I never heard of that. Most likely its irritation being caused thats having that effect. Its wierd cause I have no hairs but I have a shadow like if I should have them on my upper lip o_O I might bleach that skin or something cause I have to use concealer to hide it >.< it sucks! And even then it still kinda show, wtf.

Originally Posted by Harlot /img/forum/go_quote.gif Man, I never heard of that. Most likely its irritation being caused thats having that effect. Its wierd cause I have no hairs but I have a shadow like if I should have them on my upper lip o_O I might bleach that skin or something cause I have to use concealer to hide it >.< it sucks! And even then it still kinda show, wtf. Me too! Once one of my friends mentioned my upper lip. I was so embarrassed. I always remove the hair that I do have, but there is still a shadow there! I guess my skin isn't even or something. I feel better knowing I'm not the only one that has this problem! Even when my skin was flawless, I always had to have some coverup on my upper lip.
Thanks for the advice Carolyn! I did actually shave my face before, which I was strongly advised not to do by a couple people. I'm afraid of the hair growing back thicker, so I recently stopped that. I'm not even sure if it's better for my skin or not either.

I would not try to wax /remove facial hair.I did once and it caused me terrible breakouts.My derm told me that these facial hairs will act as protectant for certain skin.Well, in my case, my furr is tad obvious, i'll bleach with Jolen or FEM bleach once a month.Upper lip i'll do threading.

Originally Posted by Harlot /img/forum/go_quote.gif Man, I never heard of that. Most likely its irritation being caused thats having that effect. Its wierd cause I have no hairs but I have a shadow like if I should have them on my upper lip o_O I might bleach that skin or something cause I have to use concealer to hide it >.< it sucks! And even then it still kinda show, wtf. There is a vein that runs over the upper that for some women, shows through the skin and looks like a 'stashe shadow- bleaching won't help.Also, some women have a darker pigment in the area around the lower jawline and around the chin; it's not hair at all but I am not sure skin bleaching woul help in that case either; I've heard that the darker pigmented skin could actually go darker.

CG, I get some irritation from plucking (I don't wax anymore- just pluck), it is actual white head pimples where I've plucked.

There really isn't anyway around it I don't think, the skin is irritated and just plain reacts.

The reason baby powder is used before waxing is so the wax won't stick to the skin, just the hairs.

What are you using to remove your facial hair? Waxing? Or depillatory cream? It's normal to have a little redness after waxing though it should go away within a few hours. Depillatory creams are different, they are very well known for causing break outs. In my opinion, they can be pretty dangerous. It's a very harsh chemical (hey, it dissolves the hair!) and it can reak havoc on those with sensitive skin, or on such sensitive areas.

I have problems with that, too. I have my upper lip, chin and eyebrows waxed (yeah, I am hairy, so what! LOL) I use a toner for two days after. I use the milder one by Clinique, I think it is the salicylic acid that helps me. I will do a mild scrub if it looks like pimples are trying to form. I use either the white scrub from Dermalogica or the liquid Clinique one. I think mine might be from ingrown hairs, since it often takes 2 to 4 days.

Yeah sometimes when I plucked I get a little zit, that's just irritation.

I minimize it to do it on clean skin, NO bathing before you go plucking and do the pluck fast. And I don't do lots of parts all at once.

I did notice that you can get very light brown pigmentation if you pluck a lot if you are sensitive to this. I don't know how that can happen but I think it can.

My favourite methode, besides you pluck a few hairs, is bleach with a gentle bleaching product especially for your face.

Hi. Maybe I can help. I have a same problem and what I do is clean my face with anti blemish cleanser after waxing and after that I apply tea tree oil on affected area. Also what can help is some anti blemish lotion. After I put on tea tree oil I put The Body Shop blemish stick (you can use other brands too). I also use tea tree oil for next day or two before moisturizer on affected area like serum. This oil is well known for killing bacteria and treating skin irritation. If I don't do this I also end up with breakouts. I hope this helps. (this was my first post here
redface.gif
)

What works for me is after I go for threading, I slather my face with a cortisone cream for about 10min and all the redness and irritation disappears!!

I get that a lot, almost every time I get my eyebrows waxed, these little tiny whiteheads form all over the area that has been waxed. Im not sure how to get rid of them, but I feel your pain! And I usually get my eyebrows waxed every 2 weeks because of my crazy growth and every time, I get those little whiteheads.

well i can speak to that one from experience Carolyn. shaving the face can be very irritating to the skin. its especially bad if you try and shave too close, the blade is dull or you don't use enough lubricant (shaving cream or gel) . then it is real easy to get ingrown hairs which undoubtedly leave a red bump.

i try to use an electric foil shaver instead (Remington), but i think i have tried most of the brands and types at one type of another.

If its a long term problem for you and if you can afford it then you might want to consider laser?

Me being male I have very course hairs on my face and I have had my face lasered 6 times. The treatment does hurt and I am sure as your hair growth is nowhere near as bad as mine you would not need nearly as many treatments as me. BTW I still need more treatments but my face is a lot less hairy than before.

saaaame here! I think the only other option (if you facial hair is just baby hair) is bleaching your facial hair...get it done professionally, it'll just look like peach fuzz
smile.gif

Originally Posted by tijana333 /img/forum/go_quote.gif Hi. Maybe I can help. I have a same problem and what I do is clean my face with anti blemish cleanser after waxing and after that I apply tea tree oil on affected area. Also what can help is some anti blemish lotion. After I put on tea tree oil I put The Body Shop blemish stick (you can use other brands too). I also use tea tree oil for next day or two before moisturizer on affected area like serum. This oil is well known for killing bacteria and treating skin irritation. If I don't do this I also end up with breakouts. I hope this helps. (this was my first post here
redface.gif
) Welcome to MuT =)

I once heard something about a prescription hair remover I think it was a poster at the gyno's office. Something Vanique or Vaniqua something like that. Maybe look into it. Here ya go its Vaniqa. Doesn't remove the hair but slows the growth so maybe you wont be waxing or plucking as much causing to much irritation. One breakout a month is better than 4 right?

Google Vaniqa and the website will pop up, since I cant post links yet.

Latest posts

Back