Tartan- Love it or Hate it?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
00240m.jpg
tartan6.jpg

tartan1.jpg
tartan7.jpg

tartan10.jpg

tartan3.jpg

tartan4.jpg

tartan5.jpg

Do you like tartan? Apparantly it's coming back for Autumn/Winter.

I think in small doses (eg one piece of tartan in an entire outfit) can look nice but I think when people over-do it then it doesn't look good.

I have a little tartan skirt from about 2 years ago that I used to wear with opaque black tights and I'm debating over whether to bring it out of retirement haha!

I'm with you on this Katie, Tartan only in small doses. It can look cute on a shortish skirt but some of the tartan outfits are too much IMO.

I love tartans ! But only as skirts though, and i would never mix the patterns,
headache.gif
. I like the second dress
smile.gif

I'm part scottish so I'm down with tartan. I like that trench. I have a tartan skirt (several actually) but you do have to be careful not to end up looking way too 90s (remember tartan mini skirts in the 90s?) or like a halloween trashy school girl, lol

LOL !! That is so true.

Actually, once my extra kilos are lost i plan on wearing a tartan skirt (red!!) with a black corset, a black jacket, black tights and black boots
smile.gif

Sounds nice Magosienne! I think Tartan with black looks really good.

Maybe my tartan skirt will be making a reappearance after all
tongue.gif

And I remember tartan in the 90's Rosie! Oh god, I remember the girl who used to live on the same road as me going to do her paper round in a bright red tartan skirt, white tights, really awful 90's trainers and a big puffa jacket that looked like Kenny off South Park and her luminous yellow bag to carry the newspapers. Ouch, my eyes! I'd blocked that memory out of my mind
tongue.gif

lol! I've never actually heard plaid referred to as tartan before!

It's definitely really in right now, though. A lot of celebrities are wearing it, and it's available in the majority of trendier stores. I liked it when grunge was in in the 90's, and I like it now. But I have a little bit of a tomboy streak in me. lol!

Originally Posted by StereoXGirl /img/forum/go_quote.gif lol! I've never actually heard plaid referred to as tartan before! Are plaid and tartan the same thing? I didn't know that lol! I thought plaid was like a kind of thick wooly texture ha!

Originally Posted by magneticheart /img/forum/go_quote.gif Are plaid and tartan the same thing? I didn't know that lol! I thought plaid was like a kind of thick wooly texture ha!

lol! That's flannel. Plaid is the pattern.
smile.gif

I'm getting flashbacks to the 90s!

I think plaid/tartan is a regional thing. It's called tartan over here.

Wiki actually says plaid is a type of blanket and tartan is the pattern.

Originally Posted by StereoXGirl /img/forum/go_quote.gif lol! I've never actually heard plaid referred to as tartan before!
It's definitely really in right now, though. A lot of celebrities are wearing it, and it's available in the majority of trendier stores. I liked it when grunge was in in the 90's, and I like it now. But I have a little bit of a tomboy streak in me. lol!

i always thought of tartan as a subset of plaid. Don't like either on clothes or on couches.

That tartan jacket is super cute! I don't mind it, normally. I just don't wear it.

Originally Posted by Beautyfocus /img/forum/go_quote.gif I love the blazer...do you know from what collection its from? Sorry, I don't. I just found all the pictures on photobucket.I have a feeling it might be Vivienne Westwood though.

As long as too much isn't used, it can look good. One piece of tartan can look quite smart and classy, too much, woah overload!

i love it in tops, but i dont typicaly wear it cause i feel like it is the kinda thing i would buy but than never wear

Back