Book Rant!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
grumble... I finally got to read twilight...

and I did enjoy it, but maybe there was too much hype and I was expecting more than it delivered? but the thing that frustrated me the most, was one tiny little fact that would have been easily researched:

Assuming that you haven't read the book.. a girl meets and falls in love with a guy who turns out to be a vampire. In one part of the book, her 'boyfriend' or whatever you want to call him is telling her how his 'maker' was turned into a vampire.

Apparently, he found a group of vampires living in the London sewers in the 17th century.

Uhhh... I know I have a history degree, but seriously, London didn't have ANY sewers until the 18th century! and even then you would have been hard pressed to live in it unless you were a rat, and even then you'd be pushing it!

And then you lose faith in the 'believableness' of the rest of the book... End rant, haha, I still want to read the rest of the series.. And yes, I know it's about vampires, but you do want it to be half way believable

Have you ever had a moment where you thought, 'dude, a little research could have improved this book SO much'? TELL ALL!

I still loved it anyway. The books get better. I can overlook it because the rest of it is so unbelievable.

I never actually noticed that Rosie!

I did enjoy the books but I think that was because I'd never heard of them before I bought them so I just read them and loved them because there was no expectations.

LOL I understand what you mean Rosie, I've actually quit reading books for the same reason because from there on out I keep having the feeling that everything just isn't accurate anymore. Not that her version of a vampire has to be accurate but that none of the history is actually accurate.

I don't know if I really want to read the twilight books as they sound really cool but I don't want all the hype to leave me disappointed.

I read the Twilight series before there was all the hype behind it all. I do understand what you mean Rosie, I have come across things like that in books before, most people wouldn't notice, but when you do, it's ruined just a little for you!

I'm dissapointed for you darling lol I hope you enjoy the other books though
smile.gif

I've seen such extreme reviews (on either end) of Twilight that I haven't decided about it yet.

But, yes, some research would have helped I suppose!

Never heard of the book, LOL.

Goosebumps ruined fiction books for me with their cheesy endings. I stick to non-fictional.

Originally Posted by CellyCell /img/forum/go_quote.gif Never heard of the book, LOL. Goosebumps ruined fiction books for me with their cheesy endings. I stick to non-fictional.

Lol! Goosebumps WAS bad! I remember reading them when I was younger and I thought they were cheesy even then.

Rosie, thank you so much for making this thread. People keep telling me to read Twilight and I'm like . . . ugh, why?

There's this saying floating around the web, it goes: Tell Edward to give back Armand's looks, Louis' morals and Lestat's bratty witticism.

So okay, fine, I'm a die-hard Anne Rice fan even now that she's lost her mind and started writing Jesus books . . .

But the thing is, when you're a fan of Vampire books, going from Anne Rice to Meyer is like going from home made real Italian pasta to Kraft Dinner.

No matter what she's writing about, Anne Rice does such crazy research that when you read her books it's like you're actually in Athens or Babylon or Egypt or wherever era she happens to write about.

I don't have a history degree but I love books set in historical eras and I hate it when they mess up the facts. Imo, it just ruins the author's credibility! I especially hate it when they have the clothing all wrong! So:

Quote:
Have you ever had a moment where you thought, 'dude, a little research could have improved this book SO much'? Yes!

those books pissed me off. I read every single one of them, and I did find them entertaining, but it irritated me that Bella is one of the most spoiled characters in fiction. The girl got everything she wanted with little to no consequences. I don't think this series is "the next harry potter" either. It's not that good. It is however, entertaining, and gets kids to read, so kudos to Stephanie Meyer, but blarrhh.

and I didn't know that about the sewers, so you've given me a new rant! thank you!
biggrin.gif

lol, eek, I've opened a can of worms!

I guess I'm irritated since I really wanted to like these. They're no harry potter for SURE.

(although, like a fool I'm totally going to read the rest of the series, LOL)

I'm glad that I'm not the only one, phew!

Originally Posted by nibjet /img/forum/go_quote.gif = I don't think this series is "the next harry potter" either Yep and the author is definitely NOT the next Anne Rice! I don't care how many people try to claim it!
Yep, quite the can of worms there Rosie ;p

Originally Posted by SqueeKee /img/forum/go_quote.gif Rosie, thank you so much for making this thread. People keep telling me to read Twilight and I'm like . . . ugh, why?
There's this saying floating around the web, it goes: Tell Edward to give back Armand's looks, Louis' morals and Lestat's bratty witticism.

So okay, fine, I'm a die-hard Anne Rice fan even now that she's lost her mind and started writing Jesus books . . .

But the thing is, when you're a fan of Vampire books, going from Anne Rice to Meyer is like going from home made real Italian pasta to Kraft Dinner.

No matter what she's writing about, Anne Rice does such crazy research that when you read her books it's like you're actually in Athens or Babylon or Egypt or wherever era she happens to write about.

I don't have a history degree but I love books set in historical eras and I hate it when they mess up the facts. Imo, it just ruins the author's credibility! I especially hate it when they have the clothing all wrong! So:

Yes!

I have seen the movie trailers for both movies,and I know about the book series. Twilight is overhyped,you can escape the merchandise,it's every where!!
I am a fan of Anne Rice's novels,{Go Team Lestat!!}and I do not hate Twilight,I am just not a fan of "sparkly" vampires.

*real vampire conniseur here!!
rockwoot.gif

lol So Funny I know what you mean bout the 18th century and sewers etc not being "Believable" lol But than again its a Movie Vampires & boys turning to warewolves doesnt seem so "believable either lol Thats why there in movies not In history books !!!!! I just think its funny I never read the books and thought I would never see the mvies but I Honestly Love them now lol!!!

lol I can't believe I put "if you haven't heard about the series" in my original thread.

Not sure how you'd escape it nowadays!

Haha exactly my thoughts Rosie lol. I was looking at my old response and thinking "You caved" and now I love them and all it's glory cheesiness lol.

I can love Anne Rice (been a fan since I was 13) and Stephenie Meyer. Besides, you show me a "real" vampire and I let the Volturi correct you lol.

Yeah that's how most things are. They are so hyped up and then when you check it out it's mediocre at best.

I am SO, SO jealous of you people who have never heard of this complete garbage.

Terribly written, over-hyped TRASH. I can't wait until the hype is over.

Back