Barack Obama possibly advocate sex education for Kindergartners?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
(I realizethis is a little old, but is worth syndicating)

This may sound like a crazy question, but does Barack Obama possibly advocate sex education for Kindergartners?

See For yourself what he has to say about the issue.

This is what he had to say…

“I remember him (Alan Keyes, who ran against Obama for Senate in 2004) using this in his campaign against me:

(Mimicking Keyes) ‘Barack Obama supports teaching sex education to kindergartners’

Which — I didn’t know what to tell him (laughter from the Planned Parenthood audience).

But it’s the right thing to do… to provide age-appropriate sex education, science-based sex education in schools.”
What in the world is age-appropriate sex education for such young children?

This is very disgraceful

SOURCE

Don't kill the messenger
smile.gif

If you read the whole thing, it is about teaching kids about staying away from strangers. It is something that I have talked to my kids about even before they were in Kindergarten.

Of course, all people need is a snippet to be judge and jury. Just keep reading select quotes, and both candidates will look like the Devil himself.

Originally Posted by nanzmck /img/forum/go_quote.gif If you read the whole thing, it is about teaching kids about staying away from strangers. It is something that I have talked to my kids about even before they were in Kindergarten.Of course, all people need is a snippet to be judge and jury. Just keep reading select quotes, and both candidates will look like the Devil himself.

What you said is perfect!

I think this is a great idea actually. It's not like he's advocating how to have sex to young children. Age appropriate information is what kids need instead of hearing it from some other misinformed child or person. I think it's the parent's and teacher's job to educate children. Great way to do this in schools for children who have parents with poor parenting skills or those who oppose sex education at all. Ignorance helps to increase teen pregnancy rates so I think this is necessary.

Originally Posted by reesesilverstar /img/forum/go_quote.gif What you said is perfect! I agree with you both...kids need to know what is out there and how to protect themselves. I am sure it will all be age appropriate. If parents are that uncomfortable attend the class with your kids.
People just need to STOP and be REALISTIC. There are grown ups that don't know basics of sex education or anything of sort.

There is no way to make sex education "age appropriate" for kindergartners. I'm sorry, there's just not.

And the whole "stay away from strangers" thing isn't sex ed. It's already being taught in schools along with "be sure to have a buddy and look both ways before crossing the street", etc. regarding personal safety.

Originally Posted by StereoXGirl /img/forum/go_quote.gif There is no way to make sex education "age appropriate" for kindergartners. I'm sorry, there's just not.
And the whole "stay away from strangers" thing isn't sex ed. It's already being taught in schools along with "be sure to have a buddy and look both ways before crossing the street", etc. regarding personal safety.

Well I guess telling your 3-6 year old child that if someone touches you inappropriately it is NOT Ok...if they see daddy naked and mommy naked and are curious about the difference...you tell them...that is not in some way teaching sex education. COME ONE LETS GROW UP AND LOOK AT THE WORLD AROUND US...it is everywhere and there is no way to hide your child from it unless you are a quaker or in a cult.

They don't understand the word SEX so you have to explain to them that there are certain things that should not be done to them or they should be doing at their age...the differences between boys and girls. You truly would be surprise what children at that age pick up...whether we want to face the TRUTH or not.

I think it is ok and if I were a parent and a letter was sent home to me...that would definitely be one day I would go to school with my child and sit with them while they learn something VERY IMPORTANT. Oh and of course they will definitely get the education at home too.

I should have clarified. My kids had a packet on "Good Touch/Bad Touch" in the first grade. This is what he was talking about specifically.

Am I outraged that they mentioned this? Not on your life. When you have kids, you realize the 10,000 ways that you have to protect them. Perverts are just one of many, and they can be anywhere. School, church, even in their own homes.

If you think this is wrong, then maybe you can suggest an alternative to being prepared. Denial won't help you or your kids.

Sex education covers so much more than how to have sex, orgasms, STIs, contraception etc. It covers sexual abuse, puberty, masturbation, sexuality etc. No I don't think all of the topics mentioned above should be mentioned to a 5 year old but they can understand some things. Sexual abuse definitely one of them and same with puberty when they get a little bit older (since kids are maturing way faster). Also, masturbation since young kids actually do do it. If I was a parent, I wouldn't say it was to feel goodor go into any detail, but tell them that in public is not an acceptable place if they do actually do that in public.

Originally Posted by SimplyElegant /img/forum/go_quote.gif I think this is a great idea actually. It's not like he's advocating how to have sex to young children. Age appropriate information is what kids need instead of hearing it from some other misinformed child or person. I think it's the parent's and teacher's job to educate children. Great way to do this in schools for children who have parents with poor parenting skills or those who oppose sex education at all. Ignorance helps to increase teen pregnancy rates so I think this is necessary. I agree. I think you can age appropriately teach sex education. For me at that age it means correct terminology for body parts, not saying a baby is in the mommy's tummy because that is incorrect, etc. I don't talk to them about penises going into vaginas, but I figure when that time approaches it will be easier if they already know what all the parts are. My daughter(6 1/2) has asked me about my tampons, and I have told her a bit about menstruation.
It can be scary to think about, but hell even I knew someone in school who started having sex at 11.

The quick answer is that the education is about inappropriate touching and grouping. Children need to know when they are in trouble and what to do when it happens. That was the education the bill in the State Legislature in Illinois put forward. Obama voted for the bill, he did not sponser or write it.

Remember, don't kill the messenger. I'm glad this thread has spurred some interest. If it's true, Obama is a freak.

There will be absolutely NO teacher talking to my kids about any part of sex...whatsoever. In fact, I cornered the principal and my son's teacher in a meeting and made them promise me that it would not happen. I told them that I would hold them "personally" responsible if it did. Trust me, they don't want to test me on this. I can get action, perfectly legal also.

In fact, the loser, stupid liberal California legislature...can bite me on this.

We, as parents of our children will handle all discussions of sex with our kids, when WE think it's appropriate, not when some liberal agenda-ized teacher does.

No one can agree that some outsider talking to you own child, a kindergartner about sex in any way, is good.

Remember, I am only speaking about my own kids. It's my job to protect them and it's NOT the educator's job to exploit them.

I don't understand how a teacher educating his or her students about age appropriate sex related information is all that different from teaching english, math, art etc. It's useful information and if you can trust them with that, it seems to make sense that this other information would be acceptable too. It's great that some parents are willing to educate their children on such a sensitive topic but there are a lot of parents who aren't or don't want to embarass themselves and I really don't think it's okay because as a parent, you're keeping your child ignorant about it. Sex is going to come up regardless, so it would be useful to hear it from someone who knows what age appropriate, accurate material should be taught. I think a teacher would be appropriate for that.

Do you really think they are going to sit some 6 year olds down and talk to them about condoms, Tony? Common sense says no.

You should see how vague the Good Touch/Bad touch thing is, which merely tells a kid to go to an adult if something "feels" bad.

Again, if you have an alternative to preparing kids for something that can and does happen, i'm all ears. Does denial keep perverts away?

The fight with the school you mention seems appropriate for older kids, then you KNOW for a fact that sex ed is more adult.

All parents are different yes, and what is acceptable for some is like, blasphemy for others. I completely respect this.

But take heart, the damage to Obama's rep is done. People don't take the time to research such a crazy quote. A sound bite is all that's needed.

Name calling and cheap tricks will not win this election for the GOP, whose Sec. of the Treasury wants to hand $700 billion over to the banks with NO accountability. Please no more unitary style of government with all the power in the hands of the executive branch of government.

that has been the hallmark of the Bush administration which has been inept. they wanted that same blank check and no accountability with Iraq as well.

Prediction this will NOT go as smoothly and as quickly as Bush would like. This will go down on his presidential record. So it was his personal improprieties for Bill and this for Bush.

that has been the hallmark of the Bush administration which has been inept. they wanted that same blank check and no accountability with Iraq as well.
Watchout Darla critizing President Bush may have you labeled a communist or worse yet a liberal ! Yikes

Back