Do you think of people as their user name? or their real life name?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was thinking about this the other day.

Some of you, I totally think of by your real names. Others, I can't disassociate you from your nickname!

It's funny. I think if I was to meet you in real life, I'd still call you by a shortened version of your nicknames... for example, Aude will always be Mags to me!

Do you think of me as Pinksugar? or as Rosie?

Do you think of some members by their nicknames, and others by their real names like me?

I really don't like calling people by their user names at all.

If I don't know your name, then I'm forced too but I rather not.

If you disappear for a long and come back, then I'd most likely forget your name and go by your username.

If I read "pinksugar" I automatically replace it in my mind with Rosie.

I always think of the Muter by their user name - even if they also offer up their real name.

I tend to use the username, and force myself to use real names if they are known.

I relate to username, when people start referring to other members by their real names over and over in different threads, then that starts to stick.

I call them by username because I'm new to the forum and dont know their names, but if I do know the name I kinda feel shy to use it
nixweiss.gif

Originally Posted by Carolyn /img/forum/go_quote.gif I always think of the Muter by their user name - even if they also offer up their real name.
dito.gif

For me it depends on the MUTer. For example, I think Rosie when I see Pinksugar and Katie when I see magneticheart. It all depends, some I just think of their username even if I do know their real name.

lol, Sunshine, don't be shy!! (I do know what you mean though, I just checked your profile so I know your name is Janet, but I didn't use it! LOL)

I agree with Sunshine80. I still feel new but I have just recently started to post more often. I usually think of people as there user name. I know peoples names because others have called them that in the forums. I dont do it because I kind of feel like someone will say "dont call me that you dont know me" I doubt that will happen though.

Always your real name if I know it!! Or can remember it and how to spell it correctly!! Lol.

I really prefer names, but I always feel like a creeper if I know someone's name and they didn't tell me...like I'll just see someone else call them by their name and then I start to also. lol...kinda creepy.

Originally Posted by prettylynn /img/forum/go_quote.gif I agree with Sunshine80. I still feel new but I have just recently started to post more often. I usually think of people as there user name. I know peoples names because others have called them that in the forums. I dont do it because I kind of feel like someone will say "dont call me that you dont know me" I doubt that will happen though. that's exactly what happens to me, I still feel like a stranger...lol

Originally Posted by pinksugar /img/forum/go_quote.gif lol, Sunshine, don't be shy!! (I do know what you mean though, I just checked your profile so I know your name is Janet, but I didn't use it! LOL) lol, I really dont mind, in fact I like to be called by my name, makes it more friendly IMO

When I know the persons real name I tend to use the real name.. it seems more polite to me or something.. haha

Originally Posted by Sunshine80 /img/forum/go_quote.gif I call them by username because I'm new to the forum and dont know their names, but if I do know the name I kinda feel shy to use it
nixweiss.gif
same here! but im not new to this forum
tongue.gif

If I know the persons name and I see their username I'll automatically associate it with their real name.

I prefer to call people by their first names on here because to me it seems more friendly. But if I don't know someones first name I'll just go by username.

When I first signed up to mut and I didn't really know anyone I had the feeling of "They didn't tell me their name so I should just call them by their username."

And then I realised, it's their name, they're not gunna get offended!

And also if people call me Katie even if they don't know me I don't mind at all
smile.gif

Back