ELF makeup - Overrated?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Mod notice: Just a heads up that this is an old thread that was brought back to life.  Some of the information in this thread may still be helpful, but keep in mind that many of the posts and poster opinions may be outdated!

I heard about ELF and I was so impressed by how popular the company is and how well it is doing on the account that it is selling most of their products at only 1 dollar each. I did some further research on them and found that there were a lot of good reviews about ELF on youtube and elsewhere. I think the message that came across from the company was that ELF can provide highend quality makeup at cheap prices because they found the cost efficient way to obtain the ingredients. Anywho, I really thought these products were going to be amazing.

Well I received a $5 gift certificate from ELF and being the novice that I am at makeup, I decided to try their line, just to use it as practice. Besides I was going to get 5 things for free! But the shipping and handling price is where they get you. it is 6.95!!! But anyway i went ahead and bought them.

I bought blush, 2 lip glosses, 1 cream eye shadow, and 1 powder eyeshadow.

The lips glosses are beautiful colors and have a nice texture. However, it fades quickly and dries up lips. My lips were cracked the next day and when I smiled I caused my lip to rip and bleed.

The cream eye shadow is a pain. Very greasy, creases, doesn't apply or blend well, you would have to use this as a base for powder eye shadows to make use for it.

The powder eye shadow is dusty, falls more on my cheeks and eye lashes, and it is dull.

Blush was a nice texture and beautiful color, but fades almost immediately.
Overall, I wasted my 6.95 for these space wasters.

What do you gals think of this brand?

ELF is a cheap source for makup accessories for me. like their eyeshadow palettes fit MAC pans, i use their sponge tip apps for foiling, etc. as for the actual makeup, never liked it.

Yea I could never get into their actual makeup, I guess it's good for a cheap fix

You know I noticed that a lot people who don't like their makeup usually just buy their accessories. For example, makeupsquare from youtube doesn't find any of their makeup great but raves about their eyeshadow brush, which is only thing I might give a try.

I've tried their lipstick, eye shadow and lipgloss. Really not impressed with anything I've tried.

I've never tried anything from them. Tbh, I can't get my head around it being any good when each thing is only a dollar (50p!)

I've read good reviews on the mineral e/s, but can't quite seem to push the 'confirm order' button to try them out. If I do I would aslo try the e/s brush.

I tried it and wasn't a fan either.

I tried an orange oil lipgloss/balm stick and it stopped coming up when you twisted it, not only that, it tasted like dishwashing liquid or something. It was awful. I should really throw it out.

In oz, it's more expensive than a dollar too!

their items are more expensive when they're sold in stores
frown.gif

I have tried some of their products and they're only okay. i like some of their brushes though. and i've heard good things about their eyelash curler haha

their shipping n handling is ridiculous. and they take forever to ship the items.

I guess they'd be great for beginners, for tweens, or for people that just want to try without spending a fortune. but because they are a dollar for the most part, people are willing to buy, and ELF gets their reputation and fame.

I didn't like a single solitary thing I bought from them. Like a dumbass, I ordered like $27 bucks worth of stuff instead of buying 3 or 4 things and trying it out first! And ALL OF IT went into the garbage. Really disappointing.

I don't use their makeup. But their empty eyeshadow palettes are great and they fit MAC eyeshadows.
smile.gif
And they're only $1!

They've apparently expanded their product line since I tried them when the first surfaced a few years ago. I'm so glad to know they have compacts for $1 that fit MAC e/s. I haven't purchased a lick of makeup in two years except for foundation and mascara.

What I've tried and how I feel about it:

Brightening Eye Color: All but a few color sets.

The neutral colors make good brow highlighters when paired with a good eyeshadow base such as Laura Mercier Eye Basics. Other than that, they're too powdery and they get all over the place.

Shimmering facial whip in Pink Lemonade

Holy pinkness. A little goes a long way. It works, but the color is out there. It nearly appears exactly as it does in the tube. I don't like the smell or the texture.

Brushes:

Initially I liked them. In fact I still have a few and use them (total face, blushing/bronzing/blending), but after I bought a "natural insert animal here" hair brush set from Ebay, I find them to be scratchy. As for the all of the eye brushes, I found them ineffective in comparison.

I have yet to find a lip product that stays on my lips without crusting or massive reapplying throughout the day, so $1 suits me well if I decide to even waste my time on anything but chapstick. Perhaps my return to MUT will assist in my pursuit for a long lasting, non-drying lip colour.

I guess I'm in the minority, but the stuff i've tried from ELF hasn't been bad. I have the Super Glossy Lip Shine with SPF 15 in three different colors and I really like it. It has SPF so I can wear it by itself when I am in a hurry. Of course, it doesn't last very long, but no gloss does on me. I also have the eye shadow brush and it is great. It is very similar to a Sonia Kashuk brush I have, and it was only a dollar. The best buy with ELF though is their clear mascara/brow gel. It rocks! I even like it better than Rimmel or Revlon.

I have never tried them but they do not seem appealing to me, they only thing I would ever buy are the empty quads

OVERRATED, yes!!!

The Kroger by me sells their stuff, and i tried the stila immitating hypershine lipglosses. It smelled and tasted HORRIBLE!!! Ewww... Not buying anything again. It's a pity they dont sell the palettes there. I would buy those.

Back