Vacationing with a friend and it turns out bad... share your experience(s)

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Do any of you have experiences travelling with a friend and it turns out bad?

When I was working in the health care field I had a co worker named Lily who I often bumped into while working with seniors in apartment blocks etc. Anyways we got along and she seemed nice.. or so I thought. She wanted to go to Mexico so we both saved over the summer and booked for February. Everything seemed fine at first.

We were in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico for one week. Our room faced the pool and not the ocean. That was the first beef with her. If we wanted a ocean view it would cost more and she didn't want to pay the extra when we initially booked and I didn't really care if I had ocean or pool view.

Then I found out she was quite racist. Making comments about Mexican people. I am not a racist person and felt very upset by her comments. She was even making comments on the public bus and not in quiet tones. I was mortified and wanted to crawl off that bus. A local woman told her off ( I don't blame her) and my friend afterwards was all *****y about it (serves her right)

One day we visited a jewelry store and looked at silver braclets etc. I bought two items of jewelry. Lily was trying on several bangles etc because she knew her sister at home would want one. While she was looking, I mentioned I was going to the shop next door. She met me outside and we walked back to the hotel. Half way back she started saying 'Omg! Omg!' I said 'What's wrong!?" She said " I have a braclet on my wrist!" She was wearing a long sleeve shirt and said she didn't notice the braclet and thought she must have left it on my mistake. Part of me thought maybe she did and the other half wondered if she stole it. I thought oh great, just what I need for the police to knock at the door. It didn't happen.

One the last night of our vacation we ate at the fancier restaurant on the hotel site. She didn't like the wine and instead of leaving it on the table, she picked up her glass and tossed the wine into the gorgeous garden behind us. I thought how tactless. The waiter saw her and shook his head.

Anyways that was the last time I went on vacation with her. If I had been there a second week with her, I would have turned her into a pinata, lol.

Ugh! What a "B". Curious as to whether you are still friends? I don't have horror stories like that but this will be interesting.

i went camping with my college roommate. This is 7 or 8 years out of college and we were both married. He had a son about 2 years old and we brought along our 8 year old niece with us. What a disaster! Bringing a child that small really changes what the camping experience is like. He kept running off which is not the greatest thing when there are woods all about and even a small stream. Too many details to elaborate, but suffice it to say we NEVER went camping again and come to think about it we haven't seen each other either.

Man that was a horrible trip Shelley! Some people just don't have any respect.

It's not really a bad experience, a few years ago i went on holidays with my best friend. The location wasn't that great, you know i used to think having a pool when you live a few hundred meters away from the sea is ridiculous, until i discovered the beach had nothing to do with what a beach is. Besides, 5 minutes are literally all i need to turn from pale beige to red, so going out during the day wasn't an option for me.

So we were stuck at the rented house, with no shopping to do as the city was also really expensive, even for a pair of flip flops.

On top of that the adults were treating all the kids the same, following us everywhere and deciding for us. For 20 year old young ladies, it's kind of problematic.

It spoiled the holidays.

Originally Posted by jmgjmg623 /img/forum/go_quote.gif Ugh! What a "B". Curious as to whether you are still friends? I don't have horror stories like that but this will be interesting. Nope I'm not friends with her anymore.

that sounds like a crappy holiday!

i've never gone away with a friend, but i have camped with them at festivals. i think if i can share a tent with them in a VERY muddy field for five days, i could probably go away with them somewhere. nothing tests a friendship like having to ration a single, slightly damp toilet roll between you...lol

Ughh sounds like a racist B :/

I once went on a trip with a "friend", we had a good time up until when we were coming back, she was getting all frustrated and mad coz we missed couple of exits and made it sound like it was my fault... and she woulden't shut up about it!

I wasn't ready to argue nor mess up my little trip, so I used the same high tone she used and asked her to stop snapping at me for no reason, and right after that, she tried to be nice and all (so not genuine), but I was already annoyed by her behavior, she didn't even apologize... after that I was done hanging out with her.

Trips are a great test for friendship!

I went on a vacation once with 2 other friends. We toured the Northeast, Boston, Cape Cod, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Washington DC, and the day before we were to leave Philadelphia for NYC the other two really went at it. We all shared suites the entire trip and in Philly one met up with a friend from NJ = she was super nice and gave us a personal tour. She treated us to dinner on South Street and that's where things began to fall apart. We ordered Buffalo wings and 1 of the girls commented how disgusting that we could eat such things. The wings of a Buffalo. She was serious and the other friend just laughed at her. I dismissed it but the friend from NJ politely explained to her that they were actually chicken wings whose sauce made them popluar from a restaurant in Buffalo NY. Well that seemed to trigger a trend of ignorance because from that point on the other friend made one ignorant comment after another. I'm not sure if it was because she was uncomfortable - the friend from NJ lived in a mansion and we had been to her home- she was rich but down to earth and nice. Anyway by the time we went back to the hotel all hell broke loose with those two literally going at it physically, me pulling them apart, hotel security knocking on the door, and the one with the clueless statements leaving and returning to Chicago which screwed us for the heavy hotel and food costs coming up in NYC. No matter, we went anyway and just budgeted back and had a great time but never resumed friendship with the other girl

It was a long, long time ago...when we were first married and living in Hawaii. A close friend from high school and his girl friend came to visit and we went to Maui. We shared a Japanese style cabin, the kind with the rice paper sliding walls. They went at it all night , in a really squeeky bed. It was really, really, really tacky. We are still friends, but it was sure awkward the next morning (at least for us, they didn't seem to care).

ugh, YES!!!!

Me and a friend planned a 3 week trip to Japan, which was supposed to be really fun....she would bring a friend, I would bring a friend, so we would total 4, which we thought was the perfect number for traveling (5 and the taxis won't accept you!)

We arrived on different days, and the bad stuff began even before we met up in Osaka. I called them up to meet in front of a Starbucks, asking what time to meet....and in the background, I hear my friend's friend, Steph, saying "It could take us a while, maybe 1hr? Well whatever, just tell them to be there and just wait for us!!!!" My friend told us to be there ASAP. We waited TWO hours for them, wasted a lot of the day just standing around!!!!

Whenever we travelled together, for some reason those two girls would walk nearly an ENTIRE block apart from us. As if they didn't want us in their conversation. Even on the train, they would move away from us to the other side of the car!!! When we were going to their hostel with our luggage, they didn't even offer to help, just walked ahead another block...what the hell!! Not that I would make them carry our junk, but they could see we were having trouble at some curbs, and it would have been nice if they could at least wait for us.

Steph did a lot of inconsiderate things like that towards us, I don't even want to think about it anymore.

The breaking point came at a bar Steph took us all to. She wanted to be there cuz she thought the bartender was really hot. He was pretty good looking, but he also was several years older than her and had a son in elementary school. We were all either 17 or 18, by the way. It was just painful watching her try to flirt with him in her crummy Japanese....when me and my friend (who doesn't have good Japanese either) talked to him, he was clearly enjoying the conversation more....and Steph got mad. But we were just talking about hobbies and movies, and it just so happens that he's interested in similar things. She was doing really dorky and stupid hand gestures and I don't even know what, since she couldn't think of things to say. I guess when you talk to someone you like, the mind blanks, but she could also let us do the work (thinking up a topic), then jump in.......instead of simmering....

It was nearly 5am so me and my friend were tired and wanted to go back to the hostel.....we asked Steph how late she was going to stay, and she snapped at us, saying, "I'll leave whenever I want! I don't care what you guys do!" We didn't even say anything antagonizing to her. But that really pissed me off, and a surge of anger hit my brain......my friend restrained me and stopped me from punching Steph off her stool. We left soon after that, and the next morning....Steph and the other girl checked out without telling us! We didn't hear a word from them, and I'm not sure where they went, but good riddance! Tried to email them of course. We had to change our reservations for when we get to Tokyo, since we were gonna room with them.....and changed to stay at a friend's family's house instead. Steph reappeared in email and got mad that we changed the reservation...but honestly who would want to stay with them after how they treated us? My friend with Steph sided with her....she's a different person when she's with Steph, and I am sad to lose her, but if she's going to change her personality for the worse like that, then good riddance...

We had a good time without them
smile.gif

I went camping with a friend once and it was horrible! We agreed to share two-man tent and we picked a campsite where there were lots of trees so we woudl have privacy, but still have a fire pit and a washroom/shower building. Every morning I'd wake up and get the fire going and sit around reading and getting breakfast ready. My friend would crawl out of the tent, eat breakfast and then go to the washroom and get ready for the day. One day I started the fire but didn't start breakfast and when she got out of the tent I told her she'd have to watch the fire while I went and got ready. When I came back the fire was dead and she had climbed back into the tent. She's asked to go camping many times since but I've never agreed to again. I love camping, but I hate having to cook for someone, clean up after someone and educate someone about basic camping skills when I'm trying to enjoy myself.

A friend and I chaperoned our kids and several others on their senior trip to Hilton Head. I loved the house, I loved the area, everything.... she B!TCHED and complained the entire time about everything. Everything. No matter where we went or what we did, she complained. Loudly. I was mortified the whole time whenever we were in public. She complained all the way through Wal Mart, at McDonald's, at the expensive seafood restaurant we went to, and just generally all the time. We are still friends, but we haven't traveled together any more.

Latest posts

Back