Sign in to follow this  
BelleBeryl

Why did you go on no buy?

I am sort of curious as to why people go on no buy.So besides the usual reasons like spending way too much etc would some of the no buy care to explain this a bit more so I can understand.

i am no longer on a no buy...

but i was cause i had school loans i needed to pay off, and i was working at a minimum wage job. while my only bills were paying off my loan i didnt want to have to worry about school loans down the road when i wanted a house of my own or had an appartment. so by not spending money i was able to devote more of my money to paying of my loan and in total it only took me about 10 months to pay of the loan, (thank god for birthday money and holidays) rather than the 5 years i origionaly expected.

I'm not on a no-buy at the moment either, but I went on one because I had way too many products, and I needed to get rid of a good portion of them before I bought more. So going on a no-buy made me use up some things. And now I buy a lot less, so it was good to break the habit of spending all the time.

I'm on a no-buy because I'm saving for something. At first I was super strict and didn't buy anything at ALL, but now I realise if there's something I need or particularly want that isn't too expensive, I get it.

Originally I had been buying a cheap item of clothing or shoes costing $10-15 almost every day! so like Speedy, it was a really good chance to break that habit. And I'm really happy, I've saved almost $2000 in only 4 or so months!

I think my reason is understandable....I have no job.

But when I do get one, I'm going to do things differently. I would like to save up so I can get my own apartment....but if MAC comes out with a Hello Kitty line all that might go out the window!

I went on a no-buy when my shopping became impulsive. I would buy stuff just because it was on sale. It really helped me, because now I get a fun thing here and there but nothing like before. It's easy for me now to look without feeling like i have to buy something.

I went on a no buy for 2-3 months because I was starting school again and needed to save for daily expenses, books, materials and such.

but now i've got most things settled I can spend a small amount once in a while. like splurging on a train case last week (yea not gonna go to sephora for a while) if I really need something then i'll get it.but right now i don't see the point of me going to any cosmetic store.

I'm not on a strict no-buy but when my husband and I purchased our house in June I severely limited my spending. I've been taking my lunch to work, reading books from the library instead of buying them, not purchasing clothes or shoes (I did get some new clothes that I needed for my new job but I planned ahead and saved up some money), and not buying makeup that I don't need.

I'm just trying to be a little thriftier so that we can purchase some new furniture and finish decorating our house.

I'm going on one because I feel I'm out of control on my spending. I buy whatever's on sale, and fill every impulse! I need to break that habit, first because I have a major house repair coming up, and second because it's healthier mentally to be able to step back and say no to something I merely want. For me, buying like that makes me feel bad because I spent money I should have saved for something more important. It's all a mental thing!

I am on a no-buy because I went broke with all my saved money, and if I had continued spending, would have had to used my college money to fund my purchases. But now that I have a job, Hopefully it will be over soon and I can buy again!!

I'm on a continious no buy because I have too much stuff. i break the no buy. Have more stuff. Wash rinse repeat. But really. I just went nuts past few weeks and need to calm down.

Gee where should I start.

1. I lost my job, and have a very limited amount of money every month.

2. I noticed I was throwing many products away, because they had been stored away for years and not being used but once or twice.

3. I had plenty of products that were the exact same shades.

4. I have to pay my college loans, and I was buying makeup instead!

i say am on a no-buy.. but i'd be lying biggrin.gif i cheat!

i really need to stop buying! am an impulsive shopaholic and most of the time i dont use or wear what i buy.

i should learn to save.

Because I went nuts with the DIY stuff for makeup a few months ago. I can make pretty much ANYTHING I want except for mascara so I really can't justify buying anything more. I am buy some things for making soaps and skin creams but I'm not going as crazy as I was with the micas and colourants and lipstick stuff and that's only when I run out of them.

I'm going to start my no buy b/c I've been impulsively buying makeup, especially as a comfort during stressful times. Also, I noticed that my glosses and blushes are all really similar so there's no need to add to it.

I feel like that's when I buy makeup too, during stressful times. I've started to realize it, especially this semester (prior to the start of the no-buy obviously). I bought so many different kinds of makeup and hair products, I realized it's time to use what I have.

Originally Posted by Doya G View Post

i say am on a no-buy.. but i'd be lying biggrin.gif i cheat!

i really need to stop buying! am an impulsive shopaholic and most of the time i dont use or wear what i buy.

i should learn to save.

I cheated too!  I just bought two lip glosses after I said I was on a no-buy.  But now I think I'm really and truly stocked up - I can't think of anything else I need or want, so I should hopefully be able to stick to it.

I am on one because I have so little room in my cosmetics basket and case!!!  I also need to spend less, and I love the feeling of finishing a product - it gives me a sense of accomplishment, and yes, I am aware of how cheesy that sounds!!!  I have tons of stuff for everyday and special occasions - so many things within the same color ranges and product types - I fear buying duplicates or similar items across brands.

Until recently I was on a no-buy for two reasons, the first being I just had too much of the same stuff that I really needed to use up (well.. still kinda sorta do ^^;;) and the second reason is the fact my best friend and makeup partner in crime will be visiting me soon, and I know we will go on a buying spree ^^;; so yeah, just wanted to clear out some room for the new products that will be making their way in soon!

I am on a no buy because I am not working right now and have other important responsibilities besides makeup, however I do  cheat from time to time. I will buy foundation if I need some but items like eyeshadow I have way too much eyeshadow and lipsticks and lip-gloss. I want to use that stuff up instead of purposes more and more and not using the products up.

My friend and I have a bet. She thinks I can't abstain from buying MU for 2 months. I'm proving her wrong. Bet ends in a week! :) I believe I'm going to win.

Last year I got really bad into my spending habits...I spent over $2,000 on random things I didn't really need...now that I am really trying to take control over my finances, I realize that all that money I used on things I didn't need (and threw out) could have been better spent on bills that wouldn't stress me out now...!

I still buy an occasional product here and there, but at the time, I feel really guilty about it. It has gone into the reverse where I feel guilty for spending $10 on shampoo & conditioner! lol  I went on a book-no buy a couple years ago. I am obsessed with books and would look through every book section of every store I went to and buy for no reason other than..."Maybe I'll read this someday." I have over 300 books now, Three bookcases packed with various books and now a lot of debt. It's easier to look at the price of something in a store and ask myself, "What would this money be better used on?" Now that process has leaked everywhere else in my life... Where would my time better be spent?

Once I start paying off bills and finally get ahead, and my new business is going strong, I will be a little more lenient on myself, but until then it's not a good idea. =)