Why did you go on no buy?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am sort of curious as to why people go on no buy.So besides the usual reasons like spending way too much etc would some of the no buy care to explain this a bit more so I can understand.

i am no longer on a no buy...

but i was cause i had school loans i needed to pay off, and i was working at a minimum wage job. while my only bills were paying off my loan i didnt want to have to worry about school loans down the road when i wanted a house of my own or had an appartment. so by not spending money i was able to devote more of my money to paying of my loan and in total it only took me about 10 months to pay of the loan, (thank god for birthday money and holidays) rather than the 5 years i origionaly expected.

I'm not on a no-buy at the moment either, but I went on one because I had way too many products, and I needed to get rid of a good portion of them before I bought more. So going on a no-buy made me use up some things. And now I buy a lot less, so it was good to break the habit of spending all the time.

I'm on a no-buy because I'm saving for something. At first I was super strict and didn't buy anything at ALL, but now I realise if there's something I need or particularly want that isn't too expensive, I get it.

Originally I had been buying a cheap item of clothing or shoes costing $10-15 almost every day! so like Speedy, it was a really good chance to break that habit. And I'm really happy, I've saved almost $2000 in only 4 or so months!

I'm on a no buy bc I have too much of the same junk. Plus I save myself money using it all up instead.

I'm saving up for a new laptop so I'm trying not to buy as much makeup, clothes etc.

I think my reason is understandable....I have no job.

But when I do get one, I'm going to do things differently. I would like to save up so I can get my own apartment....but if MAC comes out with a Hello Kitty line all that might go out the window!

I went on a no-buy when my shopping became impulsive. I would buy stuff just because it was on sale. It really helped me, because now I get a fun thing here and there but nothing like before. It's easy for me now to look without feeling like i have to buy something.

I went on a no buy for 2-3 months because I was starting school again and needed to save for daily expenses, books, materials and such.

but now i've got most things settled I can spend a small amount once in a while. like splurging on a train case last week (yea not gonna go to sephora for a while) if I really need something then i'll get it.but right now i don't see the point of me going to any cosmetic store.

I'm not on a strict no-buy but when my husband and I purchased our house in June I severely limited my spending. I've been taking my lunch to work, reading books from the library instead of buying them, not purchasing clothes or shoes (I did get some new clothes that I needed for my new job but I planned ahead and saved up some money), and not buying makeup that I don't need.

I'm just trying to be a little thriftier so that we can purchase some new furniture and finish decorating our house.

I'm going on one because I feel I'm out of control on my spending. I buy whatever's on sale, and fill every impulse! I need to break that habit, first because I have a major house repair coming up, and second because it's healthier mentally to be able to step back and say no to something I merely want. For me, buying like that makes me feel bad because I spent money I should have saved for something more important. It's all a mental thing!

I am on a no-buy because I went broke with all my saved money, and if I had continued spending, would have had to used my college money to fund my purchases. But now that I have a job, Hopefully it will be over soon and I can buy again!!

I'm on a continious no buy because I have too much stuff. i break the no buy. Have more stuff. Wash rinse repeat. But really. I just went nuts past few weeks and need to calm down.

Gee where should I start.

1. I lost my job, and have a very limited amount of money every month.

2. I noticed I was throwing many products away, because they had been stored away for years and not being used but once or twice.

3. I had plenty of products that were the exact same shades.

4. I have to pay my college loans, and I was buying makeup instead!

i say am on a no-buy.. but i'd be lying
biggrin.gif
i cheat!

i really need to stop buying! am an impulsive shopaholic and most of the time i dont use or wear what i buy.

i should learn to save.

Because I went nuts with the DIY stuff for makeup a few months ago. I can make pretty much ANYTHING I want except for mascara so I really can't justify buying anything more. I am buy some things for making soaps and skin creams but I'm not going as crazy as I was with the micas and colourants and lipstick stuff and that's only when I run out of them.

I'm going to start my no buy b/c I've been impulsively buying makeup, especially as a comfort during stressful times. Also, I noticed that my glosses and blushes are all really similar so there's no need to add to it.

I feel like that's when I buy makeup too, during stressful times. I've started to realize it, especially this semester (prior to the start of the no-buy obviously). I bought so many different kinds of makeup and hair products, I realized it's time to use what I have.

Originally Posted by Doya G /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i say am on a no-buy.. but i'd be lying
biggrin.gif
i cheat!

i really need to stop buying! am an impulsive shopaholic and most of the time i dont use or wear what i buy.

i should learn to save.
I cheated too!  I just bought two lip glosses after I said I was on a no-buy.  But now I think I'm really and truly stocked up - I can't think of anything else I need or want, so I should hopefully be able to stick to it.

Latest posts

Back