Why does MMU make my skin GREASY???

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Now, mind you, I tend to get oily in the t-zone anyway, but when I wear MMU (no matter what brand) it is so much worse!!!!

Does anyone know why this is? I really would love to find a brand I like (I think applying MMU is so much quicker than liquid) but this is a real problem for me. Thoughts?

Also, for those with some redness (like at the nose and chin) do you find that MMU does not cover that quite as well as liquid?

Thanks, Ladies!
smile.gif

MMU is not actually making your skin greasier. it does, however dry out your skin, which prompts the skin to make even more oil than it would anyway. The trick is to find a pH stable moisturizer (pH of 7) and use that to prevent your skin from feeling the need to make more oil.

Originally Posted by Ames101 /img/forum/go_quote.gif MMU is not actually making your skin greasier. it does, however dry out your skin, which prompts the skin to make even more oil than it would anyway. The trick is to find a pH stable moisturizer (pH of 7) and use that to prevent your skin from feeling the need to make more oil. I have never heard of MMU "drying out" your skin! I thought it was supposed to be GOOD for your skin, so what exactly in it would make your skin dry?

i'm not too terribly sure what does it exactly, however, myself among others (from what i've read on previous threads) have had issues with drying after starting MMU. My face is usually an oil slick, with or without makeup, by about 11am. since using MMU, not only is my face not oily (now that i'm using an extremely light moisturiser) but even with the moisturiser i get flakeys

Originally Posted by Ames101 /img/forum/go_quote.gif i'm not too terribly sure what does it exactly, however, myself among others (from what i've read on previous threads) have had issues with drying after starting MMU. My face is usually an oil slick, with or without makeup, by about 11am. since using MMU, not only is my face not oily (now that i'm using an extremely light moisturiser) but even with the moisturiser i get flakeys Weird! Hopefully, someone else will chime in soon and maybe we can get some more answers.

I haven't found MMU to make me dry and I've found that it helps me greatly with my very oily skin when I use a primer and a finisher specifically made for oily skin along with a foundation. If I'm experience a lot of redness (as I sometimes do since I'm so fair), I also use a neutralizer. Lauress' is fantastic! I've found the coverage to be great.

You've tried differen't brands but have you tried different formulas within the brands? I know that they can vary quite a bit.

Originally Posted by Arielle123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif I haven't found MMU to make me dry and I've found that it helps me greatly with my very oily skin when I use a primer and a finisher specifically made for oily skin along with a foundation. If I'm experience a lot of redness (as I sometimes do since I'm so fair), I also use a neutralizer. Lauress' is fantastic! I've found the coverage to be great.
You've tried differen't brands but have you tried different formulas within the brands? I know that they can vary quite a bit.

See, this might be the very reason I gave up on MMU a while ago. If, just to make my skin look good, I need to use a primer, a finisher and the MMU, that is just way too much stuff to do in the morning! At that point, I think I would just rather take the time to apply a liquid with a sponge.
I have tried lots of different and brands and some (like Aromaleigh) I have even tried the different formulas, but I still find the greasiness is a problem, as well as the coverage not taking care of the redness. Bummer! Maybe MMU is just not for me????
frown.gif

I've used EDM for months now in the Intensity formula and at first I did notice that it made my skin oilier so I tried to use a more matte formula. Unfortunately it did not give me the coverage that intensity did and it broke me (I still have the blemishes many months later) I use their green concealer to try and cover the redness and then I apply the foundation. I then spritz on a mist on my face so that my skin is just a tad moist and blend again with the flat top kabuki brush. It covers even better and looks like my skin is almost flawless. I have really oily skin and have found that this works the best for me.

I'm not sure about the dryer skin. If anything, I've heard that mmu is better for those with oily skin as it doesn't come off as easily and the main problem with mmu is for those with dry skin. I've never had my mu look flaky.

Try checking out our mmu sticky list. There are many brands to try and you might find one that works better for you.

I need a primer and finisher even with liquid foundation if I want a truly oil free finish so it's not just a MMU problem for me. It really could just be a formula problem for you if you're not getting all the oil when you use liquid foundation.

Even if you do a few steps of MMU it only takes a minute. It's quick. But it may not be for you if you don't want to do multiple steps. Either way if you want to continue with MMU I'd recommend trying other brands/formulas. Contact the companies before ordering. Many owners are quite helpful with choose a formula/color.

It took me awhile to find the MMU that I love but it was worth it in the end. Maybe you just haven't found yours yet? It can be frustrating but if you want to use MMU don't give up!

Maybe if you change your skincare regimine. I know that I get different foundation results based upon my skincare regimine. Especially the moisturizer that I'm using at the time.

My skin is very oily, but I think I've finally found a system that works. I'm using Buff'd foundation in their original formula and I'm finding it goes a long way toward keeping the oilies down. It is a pretty full coverage foundation, and I'm just in love with it. By about mid afternoon, I have to lightly blot my t-zone, but I'm not nearly as oily as I used to be. I've been using Meow's primer for oily skin, but I don't think it's doing much for me. There are days I go without it and my skin looks about the same at the end of the day. I want to try Fyrrinae's rice powder primer, but their site is down right now.

I did change my skin regime when I started using MMU, but I think what I'm doing now is so much healthier for my skin. I'm using the Oil Cleansing Method at the end of the day to remove my makeup (for me, 50% castor oil and 50% grapeseed oil with a few drops of tea tree oil is a good balance). Then, before my face dries, I apply a SUPER light layer of jojoba oil. I love how my skin feels afterwards. I'm still trying to find some new products for the morning, but for now I'm using the tiniest bit of St. Ives Apricot Scrub (which I like, I just wish it weren't so scrub-like) followed by a thin layer of Oil of Olay. I'm not thrilled with either of these, but it's what I have now.

I can agree with it drying your skin out a tad. I used to have pretty oily skin but with a moisturizer my skin is pretty normal now. MMU really did clear my skin up and I rarely ever break out anymore. I think the key is to having a good moisturizer routine.
smile.gif

The thing that really stinks is that a lot of the MMU's you need to order online and so trying them all out can be a pain. If they let you return things, then you have to go through the trouble of shipping them back. I will say that with all the formulas I have tried now, my skin always ends up greasy, so it is hard to believe that there is a formula out there that I am missing.

Now, mind you, I am greasy with liquid foundation and powder on top of that, too, but just not as quickly as when I use just MMU.

For the redness, i pile on my foundation, and i have learned to trust the natural daylight versus the artificial light, even if in my current bedroom the window is big and lets lots of light in. Indoors, there's always some redness showing, outdoors nothing but my blush on my cheeks. I ordered some mineral green concealer, to see if it helps.

About the drying thing, it is a powder so my guess is it can suck out some moisture, or say the dryness shows up more with a powder foundation versus a liquid one. But i personally think as long as my skin's correctly hydrated and my moisturizer's been absorbed, it's okay. There's always the possibility to spray some water to set everything.

I have really oily skin too and lots of reddening in the T-Zone. I find that using a mineral primer before applying mineral foundation really makes a big difference. Also liquid never covered as well for me as mineral full coverage foundations do.

Originally Posted by CaraMia /img/forum/go_quote.gif I have really oily skin too and lots of reddening in the T-Zone. I find that using a mineral primer before applying mineral foundation really makes a big difference. Also liquid never covered as well for me as mineral full coverage foundations do. which MMU are you using that gives you good full coverage?

I think it's a moisturizer issue. I had a similar experience in my T-zone with Neutrogena moisturizer regardless if I used primer or not. I switched to Cetaphil and don't need to touch up my t-zone more than once a day, sometimes not at all with primer.

Monave and Buff'd are good full-coverage MMUs. I've tried them both and both work well with my oily skin. Buff'd feels slightly lighter, while Monave feels heavier on the skin. But both are great for coverage and lastability.

Cory have a great full coverage foundations and DW too.

if I get oily in the day I use in the blotting paper from EDM.

Latest posts

Back