"Red" she said doesn't have a proper red lipstick

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree, I was very dissapointed with the new lipsticks, I won't be purchasing any of them.

According to the description of the lipstick called Red she Said, it is a "mid-tone blue red" which makes it closer to a purple. Not red at all and only good for cool-toned skin. The other colors in the collection are pinkish and purplish as well.

For the Love of Roses would have been a better name... That way they could have all those hues and shades and it wouldn't be misleading...

The "red" l/s on the model in the RSS promo pic is actually a layer of the "red" she said l/s, then a layer of "crazee" l/s, and a little of "love alert" dazzleglass on top. They didn't use a liner on her.

Originally Posted by hopeless novice /img/forum/go_quote.gif According to the description of the lipstick called Red she Said, it is a "mid-tone blue red" which makes it closer to a purple. Not red at all and only good for cool-toned skin. The other colors in the collection are pinkish and purplish as well. Mid-tone blue red is still red. Just not a "true" red. But bluish reds are generally more flattering than orangy reds because they make the teeth/eyes look whiter.
I'm going to wait until I see these in person to decide whether or not to buy them.

Quote:
But bluish reds are generally more flattering than orangy reds because they make the teeth/eyes look whiter. Not on warm colored girls like myself. I think neutral "true" red is perhaps the most flattering.

Originally Posted by hopeless novice /img/forum/go_quote.gif And a whole lot of photo adjustments so that the l/s can appear red, amirite? My thoughts exactly - I can wear "Red" She said l/s and stick in photoshop and make it come out a proper red, but thats not the point of wearing makeup
If anyone has "Quiet Please" I'd love to see how that looks on =]

Coke,

Do you already have "Red, She Said" lipstick? Can you describe the color for me? Is it really a purple red, or a pinkish red- or can you compare it to any existing MAC red lipsticks?

I am dying to know about this color- I've been lemming it ever since I saw the photo's. I wonder if anyone has a pic with it on their lips yet.

- Jen

No I didn't buy it.

Here's a swatch I found (Debby1973 from Specktra)

muj1pu.jpg

Quiet please on top and "Red" she said on bottom.

Thanks! That actually looks quite nice to me! Of course, it's hard to tell from a picture, but it looks blue based, but not really purple-ish, more like a ruby red, or a pinkish red. That picture actually gives me some hope!
smile.gif

Jen

Yeah I guess its just a tad more pink than ruby woo. I have olive undertones and pink only works on me if I'm wearing alot of gloss that detracts from the color.

Yes, I do agree that the theme doesn't relate to the actual product collection that much- I was expecting the lipstick and glosses to be mostly red, but of course different tones and finishes- I think the only thing that is universally red in this is the packaging-LOL- which is not a bad thing for me, since I like it, but some people may not.

- Jen

Originally Posted by hopeless novice /img/forum/go_quote.gif Not on warm colored girls like myself. I think neutral "true" red is perhaps the most flattering. Acctually, the whole cool/warm business is not totaly true, i have "warm" skin and by warm i mean olive and i look fantastic with blue reds (think m.a.c red and Dark side which is practically purple)

And ditto to what Shaundra said, it IS a red but either way its not just the colors of makeup the collection is named for but the packaging and sets as well.

It depends from person to person. I can wear a hot pink but it does clash, I just have to pull it off with the rest of the makeup. A true red just looks natural and blends in.

Quote:
Acctually, the whole cool/warm business is not totaly true, i have "warm" skin and by warm i mean olive and i look fantastic with blue reds (think m.a.c red and Dark side which is practically purple)
And ditto to what Shaundra said, it IS a red but either way its not just the colors of makeup the collection is named for but the packaging and sets as well.

IMO I have never seen a hot pink like Red she Said (not really a red) work on an olive tone person. As far as what I have read, an apple red (a true neural red that doesn't have a blue or yellow tone) works best on warm skin tones (source: Cosmogirl). As far as my experience go, hot pinks makes the yellow tones in my skin more prominent.

I have red she said l/s, and I think it's really pretty because it's an amplified creme. I like it anyway.

Coke, I also want to try brave red. It looks like it would flatter everyone. I want to b2m for it.

I don't know how well you know mac colors but if you've ever heard of the lipstick "girl about town" its an excellent example of a hot pink that works well on olive skin that is blue based. Also remeber, the things like cool/warm are just guides to help you quickly pick a color when you arent sure of what youre talking about. Sure they may look better on certain skin tones or colors but it doesnt mean that they dont work at all. (For me, melrose mood liiight pink blue based lipstick looks terrible unless i use it with quartz liner)

Do i make sense?

Latest posts

Back