Voting is useless... WHAT?!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So, I was talking to one of my good friends today and we start to talk about politics... I find out he hasn't even registered. What? Why?

"Because there is no reason to vote for the lesser of 2 evils. And the way voting is set up, my vote doesn't count." (We live in Texas)

Huh? I'm so angry at him right now. I don't want to lecture him rather loudly. So I'm venting here.

What do you guys think, do you agree? Why? If you don't, why? I'm calling on the fence sitters, those secure about their vote, and those who aren't going to vote either... Let me know how you feel about elections and they way they are conducted.

I don't have any issues with those who don't vote. If they don't want to then it should be left as that. They have their reasons and I am not the type of person to try and 'convert' anyone. I do believe that if you don't vote then don't complain, though.

I have never missed voting since I was 18.. My wife and I never miss it and we have instilled the same thing on our kids.. Voting is a condition of citizenship, Period!! in my humble opinion. You don't vote... You can't complain..

Since I'm an independent, PA won't let me vote in primaries.. Which is really stupid..

My parents are registered to vote, but they said they aren't voting this election because they don't like the candidates. I wish I could change their mind. I'm pretty sure my brother and sister just recently registered.

I just don't understand how someone wouldn't care enough about their future and the future of their country to make their voice heard. It's just sad.

Originally Posted by StereoXGirl /img/forum/go_quote.gif I just don't understand how someone wouldn't care enough about their future and the future of their country to make their voice heard. It's just sad. That's what I'm saying... I don't get it. For me it's a cop out...

Originally Posted by jmgjmg623 /img/forum/go_quote.gif I do believe that if you don't vote then don't complain, though. yep totally agree with you

I have a complaint of sorts.

In Canada, we do not have to register to vote - anywhere.

We can through our income tax and census' through Stats Canada.

But sometimes people move or they become of age to vote, so its not always accurate.

So we can take appropriate ID and head to a polling station on the day of the election.

This way, no one gets turns away if they haven't been registered.

So why doesn't the US allow US citizens the right to vote, if they have missed the registration deadline?

Sorry but it doesn't sound very democratic to me.

Maybe if the US got rid of the pre-registration system, more US citizens would actually vote.

Yeah... I think politicians set it up that way Carolyn so more dead people can vote!! Dead people rights and all!! Hahahaha

Yea, I agree that the US doesn't adhere to the 1 man 1 vote really with the electoral college and all... I'm not sure why they set it up that way. And the registration deadline doesn't make much sense either... I'm gonna go read up some more about this. Good question, lady!

People like that annoy me. I made a thread like this too because all my close friends don't believe in voting and they do complain later on... "omg, they took so much money out of my check wah wah - I gotta pay more for school wah wah".

Then there are ones who would vote but are to lazy to walk down their street to do it. Yep.

I think it was Rosie who was telling me that Aussies are made to vote mandatory.

Anyone who says that imo is just ignorant. I do alot of GOTV and I hear that alot and it bothers me, but I know there's not much I can do about it. But, as far as I'm concerned it is an individual's civic duty to vote PERIOD. Not to get on a soap box (but I will anyway just for a minute LOL) there are many people who fought and died for my right to vote. Particularly if you're a woman or an African American. There are many countries out there RIGHT NOW where the citizens don't have that choice and would love to have it. To waive that right makes no sense whatsoever to me.

I think Sarah Ashfar, a member here was another person that said that she was not going to vote and I agree with her justifications as to why she wouldnt. If you have to chose between two things that you dont like are you really required to pick one hate over the other? Is that what democracy is about? Picking between two things that you dont like?

I do agree though, if you dont vote dont complain, but if you feel you have no choice, you shouldnt be forced.

Originally Posted by Kathy /img/forum/go_quote.gif ...as far as I'm concerned it is an individual's civic duty to vote PERIOD. Not to get on a soap box (but I will anyway just for a minute LOL) there are many people who fought and died for my right to vote. Particularly if you're a woman or an African American. That was what I was thinking when I heard it.

Originally Posted by Aprill /img/forum/go_quote.gif I think Sarah Ashfar, a member here was another person that said that she was not going to vote and I agree with her justifications as to why she wouldnt. If you have to chose between two things that you dont like are you really required to pick one hate over the other? Is that what democracy is about? Picking between two things that you dont like? Yea, Sarah's post helped me understand why a little better...

Originally Posted by Aprill /img/forum/go_quote.gif I think Sarah Ashfar, a member here was another person that said that she was not going to vote and I agree with her justifications as to why she wouldnt. If you have to chose between two things that you dont like are you really required to pick one hate over the other? Is that what democracy is about? Picking between two things that you dont like?
I do agree though, if you dont vote dont complain, but if you feel you have no choice, you shouldnt be forced.

I do understand why someone might reach this point, I just don't agree with it. The whole reason the political system in this country is messed up is because people have gotten so digusted and cynical with it that they just ignore it and blow it off. The problem with that is, then only people with extreme opinions on BOTH sides (I'll admit it, I'm one of them) participate. And everyone's angry and the majority, the ones who TRULY represent the thoughts and beliefs of mainstream citizens are not heard because they're turned off by all the hate mongering and dramatics. It perpetuates the problem. That's what I think anyway.

I don't understand it either. My ex husband does the same thing. Complains about how he doesn't want to "share" his money with the poor that refuse to work for it, yet he doesn't vote...Dont witch if you aren't willing to do something about it. As far as refusing to vite because you don't like iether one...I voted today and there were 5 names on my ballot running for president. Vote for something. Stand for something. DO something. Don't sit idle and hope people make the right choice for you. I am sorry for who it offends but I think by not voting because you just don't like anyone is stubborn and the women that fought for our right to vote would be appalled!

The Electoral College served great purpose back in the days of the 13 Colonies. There was really no way to reach the people, see, with no media and travel by horseback. So having state electors reflecting the popular votes of the states was ideal.

I agree that the idea of it is horribly outdated.

But like my Pol Sci Prof said, "If they didn't do away with the Electoral College in 2000, they're not going to do it now."

Latest posts

Back