Did you know this about Chanel Fragrances?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The other day I learnt that Chanel changes the percentage of ingredients in their perfumes! I thinks they do it annually.

so I got a sample of Chanel No. 5 (thanks Anthea!)yesterday, and my mum and I compared it to her full bottle which she has had for a while. And they're totally different!

by which I mean, they're the same, but different. Hers is a lot heavier, it's more spicy and heady, I guess you'd call it. The new Chanel is much lighter and fresher and summery, although essentially they ARE the same perfume. It's just a case of them putting more of some ingredients in, and less of others.

Did you know this? do other perfume brands tweak their products like this? I'd be interested to know what other brands do this. It must be something that only very famous or classic scents can get away with. Otherwise surely they'd just release them under a new name?

It can also depend on the age of perfume as to how it smells, how long has your mum had her bottle? I have noticed this too, when I have replaced perfumes I was running out of, they were the same, but slightly different.

That's bizarre. And it'd be really annoying if you found a perfume that you loved and it was different every time that you bought it.

hmm, I did post, but it disappeared?!

B, it's only about a year old. I know age can affect the scent but we were reading about it in the paper, so it's not just age that has changed the way it smells
smile.gif

Speedy, I know hey! but the weird thing is, it smells basically the SAME, but there's something a little different about it. It's quite bizare, they're same but different! weird!

But yes, essentially it would be VERY annoying to find a version you loved only for it to be replaced by a new variation!

Seems strange it would be different. Rosie, I got my sample yesterday too in the city store
smile.gif
I'm going to wear mine tomorrow as I'll be out and about.

Anthea - I know! I actually prefer this one to the one my mum has! I think it smells younger and more 'day time' as we both agreed. I wasn't a chanel fan before this, but having worn it all day... I dunno. It really realyl grew on me!

That's funny because when i wanted to understand all that rave about the Number 5, i went to Sephora and smelled it, and it was way too spicy and overpowering for me.

I know Nina Ricci has always a perfume called Nina, except over the years they change the ingredients as well as the bottle. My mom wanted to find the Nina she used to love a few years ago, and that's how we learned they changed it meanwhile. But my mom loves the new perfume, so it's okay
smile.gif

I have the old Chanel No 5, EDP, darker in color, more rich smell, by no means light. But the newer ones are lighter in color, and lighter in the smell.

Maybe it's related to fashion, and women being more into light smells rather than strong ones (?).

Hmm, not sure if companies tweak their products...but one thing I do know for sure is your body chemistry reacts differently to perfumes. It has been proven that individual body odor and body temperature actually do alter a fragrance, so when buying a perfume make sure you try it on yourself and leave it for an hour for the scent to settle in as the real fragrance will then have had time adjust to the person wearing it. Scents change over time relative to your body chemistry. What smells good on your friend may not smell as nice on you. And something that smells good on you now may not smell good two hours later.

You noted the perfume was exactly the same. Did you check the bottom of the perfume for the concentration volume? EDT (eau de toilette) spray is generally lighter than EDP (eau de parfum) spray. Perfume (Parfum) consists of a 15-30% concentration of perfume essence and is the strongest fragrance available. This means that not only do you need to use less, but also that the fragrance lasts longer, typically for up to 6 hours, depending on skin type. Generally, this is the more expensive type. Eau De Parfum (EDP) is lighter than Perfume, with an 8-15% concentration, and so is less expensive but still has long lasting characteristics, from 3 to 5 hours. Eau De Toilette (EDT) is a lighter more delicate fragrance, with a 4-8% concentration of the essence, and is therefore most suited to everyday use. It is normally less expensive than Eau de Parfum, and lasts for 2 to 4 hours.

Aside from body chemistry and perfume concentration, it shouldn't be that big of a difference. However having a perfume over a certain period of time might alter it due to temperature changes. It's like preserving a bottle of wine. Over a period of time it ages and the essence of it is relatively stronger than something you just purchased recently.

I didnt know this thanks, maybe I am getting migraines from the type of frgrances I am smelling, thx

Hm, now that you bring this up, I have to mention that a while back I was looking for CK's summer one perfume. And they do change it once in a while, It's the same perfume (same name) but they change up the ingredients and even the bottle. The one I bought was a 2005 (I think) edition and it comes in a red/orange/yellow bottle and the newest one is in a blue bottle. I beleive one version is more citrus-y than the other.

Back