No-Buy Tips

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Girls

I wonder if it wouldn't be good to have a thread with some tips and tricks to help people on no-buys stay on them.

Little ones, like use up what you have to extreme ones like freeze your creditcard

I know they'd be helpful to me as I can justify any purchase!!!

So share them!!!

Never go into makeup stores and don't walk past the cosmetic section!
lol.gif

for me i only use debit cards.

i find it is a lot easier to spend money on a credit card than a debit card. cause with a credit card you are just thinking about the item but with a debit card you remember how much time you have to work to re-coup that loss. also since intrest rates on debit cards are crudy i usually dont keep much in my account so i cant spend much

I agree with the above tips...if your craving for makeup is too strong (trust me, I know...it really is an addiction
smile.gif
), there are ways that you can get free makeup-- join some contests where you can get prizes...sign up for makeup giveaways...I think allure and seventeen are some magazines that have giveaways if you give them your email and sign in on a certain day, something like that. If you join a contest that way you won't feel guilty because 1) you didn't buy the makeup, and 2) you worked hard for it, so you deserve it!
smile.gif

Originally Posted by kbella /img/forum/go_quote.gif I use to leave my credit card at home...and carry little cash enough to get me through the day..it was tough i must say. I've done this, too, and it really works. First, you have to know the exact amount you're spending including tax, tips, etc. and be able to cover it with what you have on hand and, secondly, it makes the amount of money you're spending much more tangible.

If you want to buy something, don't buy it straight away. Leave it for a week, and usually by that time you've forgotten about it.

If you can't resist buying, set yourself a monthly budget and make sure you don't go over that amount.

I estimate how much money I'd need to spend for the day (food, errands, etc) and only bring enough money for that. I almost always leave my cards at home because its hard to remember the value of the money when its in plastic form!

Also if i REALLY want some make up item above all others, I will STILL want it a couple weeks/months later and have the extra cash for it. Then the purchase is a LOT more likely to be worth it to me.

I had a girlfriend who actually microwaved her mastercard...by accident (dont ask me how). That worked until her new card showed up. Personally, I have one credit card and had the limit lowered.

I'm not sure if this is a good tip or not, but how about swapping for items other than spending the money on it. If you are on a no-buy then why not trade the products you'll never use for ones that you are lemming for? It wouldn't count as actually buying a new product....

Sometimes I will just go through and organize my makeup again and realize that I have every freaking color on the planet. I will decide what I will use for the month (like purple month) and put it in a cute makeup bag and when I feel the urge to buy again, I will just create another "collection" of my own using stuff I haven't used in a while.

Originally Posted by Scarlette /img/forum/go_quote.gif Sometimes I will just go through and organize my makeup again and realize that I have every freaking color on the planet. I will decide what I will use for the month (like purple month) and put it in a cute makeup bag and when I feel the urge to buy again, I will just create another "collection" of my own using stuff I haven't used in a while. I totally agree with this one! Especially when you toss out products that have gone bad and you've barely used it- makes you realize how much money was wasted. I just "shop" through my own makeup and try to come up with alternatives- combining lip colors or eyeshadows to make a similar color rather than buying a new one.

Originally Posted by Rotting Beauty /img/forum/go_quote.gif Try to remember that guys don't even like makeup. I don't believe for one second that guys dont like make up. They dont like the "idea" of make up but I've never seen an au naturale girl be stalked for her number around the mall. Kinda how they like skinny girls but they dont like the "idea" of girls not eating.
I write up a list of all my make up, and its retail price. I carry it around with me.

It worked last week. I was going to by a Maybelline mascara, and I looked at the list and saw that I have a Lancome and a Dior mascara. I was like.. wtf am I doing buying a drug store brand when i forked out like 80 bucks for the other two?

Originally Posted by ay0x /img/forum/go_quote.gif I don't believe for one second that guys dont like make up. They dont like the "idea" of make up but I've never seen an au naturale girl be stalked for her number around the mall. Kinda how they like skinny girls but they dont like the "idea" of girls not eating.
I write up a list of all my make up, and its retail price. I carry it around with me.

It worked last week. I was going to by a Maybelline mascara, and I looked at the list and saw that I have a Lancome and a Dior mascara. I was like.. wtf am I doing buying a drug store brand when i forked out like 80 bucks for the other two?

I'm not sure how long ago I wrote that, but I completely agree with you now.Only thing is, I'm confused on why you didn't buy the Maybelline mascara? Is it because you already have enough mascara or you already spent enough on it?

Originally Posted by Rotting Beauty /img/forum/go_quote.gif I'm not sure how long ago I wrote that, but I completely agree with you now.Only thing is, I'm confused on why you didn't buy the Maybelline mascara? Is it because you already have enough mascara or you already spent enough on it?

Already spent enough money on it.

Latest posts

Back