-Liz-

No-Buy Tips

The best way to stick to a no buy is to pull out something in your stash that you never use and force yourself to be inventive.  It is not only fun but it helps you rediscover things and revisit looks that you once loved.  

Hi I'm new and  I used to be a raging buyaholic..Now I keep it very simple..Just a few products..blush powder.concealer..Got a great one on eBay ..SO cheap...lip liner Rimmel..cheap.. and even dollar store scores

I got some great Almay blush for a dollar recently...The best lip gloss in the WORLD comes from my beauty supply place and it is 99 cents no lie..I also buy samples on eBay first if I really want to try something something very cheap...I also do A LOT of DIY skin care and have seen AMAZING results VERY cheaply..No like REALLY cheap.(I'm cheap lol).I make mad scientist masks and creams from all natural stuff..I bought copper peptides and glycolic acid and hyaluronic acid SO cheap on eBay and it is amazing ...Coconut oil is amazing and castor oil ..Has to be virgin organic and cold pressed though..They penetrate the skin VERY deeply..You should also actually eat some of the coconut oil every day and cod liver oil too.. .I have actually lightened my dark spots on my face and elbows with just lemon juice and potatoes in less than  a month..My skin is glowing from the raw honey and all the crazy things I make up and my pores have shrunk and my two pock marks are going away..I know this is a no buy zone..but if you are gonna' buy ..buy cheap and you can do it naturally..You do not need high end stuff that will make you go broke and probably won't even work. I do get Birchbox and just use that too Whatever they give me so I can mix up that stuff with the natural stuff..

I go shopping with my bf, he'd usually ask me what do I need from the mall, then he will just stare at me if I found something I want but I don't need, that calms me down from the itch. We went to Macy's and Forever 21, I saw a bunch of spring tops I love, but I just bought whatever I needed and did not spend extra money! I could have spend hundreds on clothes that I don't need. He doesn't hate going shopping with me but I just feel bad having him to look at cosmetics and ladies clothing with me, especially when I am in a line waiting to pay, and see those husbands and boyfriends sitting on couches next to the register looking dead like a zombie.

• Like 1

I feel weird shopping for makeup with my husband! He always looks so bored and uncomfortable. Plus, he's really good at talking me out of impulse buys. 

Originally Posted by yoru View Post

I go shopping with my bf, he'd usually ask me what do I need from the mall, then he will just stare at me if I found something I want but I don't need, that calms me down from the itch. We went to Macy's and Forever 21, I saw a bunch of spring tops I love, but I just bought whatever I needed and did not spend extra money! I could have spend hundreds on clothes that I don't need. He doesn't hate going shopping with me but I just feel bad having him to look at cosmetics and ladies clothing with me, especially when I am in a line waiting to pay, and see those husbands and boyfriends sitting on couches next to the register looking dead like a zombie.

lol I am glad that my boyfriend doesn't find it boring, well he would still prefer looking at clothes with me than looking at make up with me, I guess that counts as a no buy tip too because I avoid walking into sephora when I am shopping with him, unless I really want to try out some perfumes.

Originally Posted by ladygrey View Post

I feel weird shopping for makeup with my husband! He always looks so bored and uncomfortable. Plus, he's really good at talking me out of impulse buys. 

I find that I usually end up in the cosmetics store when I'm feeling blue or I've had a hard day and want to comfort myself a little bit. So this is my suggestion, avoid going to the store when you're feeling down, on your period, etc. Most of the impulsive buys I've ever made were because I wanted to "treat myself" when I've had a bad day. The worst thing is that such impulsive buys include colours that don't suit you and products you'll never get to use. 

And beware the hype of cheap products. Because it's only a dollar or two you think it's not real money but after several buys it actually becomes money. Money you could have saved up for something you really wanted but thought was expensive. I'm really really guilty of doing this.

You could also avoid going to the store unless you need something, and once you're there only buy whatever you need. E.g. if you only need hairspray don't buy anything else. And avoid the special offers and sales. There's no use in getting 3x2 in lipglosses if a single tube of gloss lasts for months. Chances are it will get bad in your stash before you even have a chance to use it.

The tips you all gave are really useful and I've definetely going to try them.

Originally Posted by esthergarcia View Post

You could also avoid going to the store unless you need something, and once you're there only buy whatever you need. E.g. if you only need hairspray don't buy anything else. And avoid the special offers and sales. 

This one is a toughie for me as I often need items from the drugstore on my way to work....and there's the oh-so-convenient makeup displays....Still, I'm doing a lot better about it :)

Originally Posted by esthergarcia View Post

Maybe you could make a list and appoint a day to go and buy everything you'll need for the week? That will surely stop impulsive shopping.

Sadly, it didn't LOL

I usually just set myself a budget for when i go into the store, I know i always go to the drugstore since its closer to my house but i will always make a list and take an approx amount of what the total will be. Looking at makeup is just a habit haha i pass by and just stare but if i have something similar ill just pass on it :)

• Like 1

I try to remember even though I consider my collection to be pretty modest, I have triple the amount of cosmetics most women do. As much as I might "want" something, my train case, brush roll, and 2 spill over bags are practically bursting at the seams. The only thing I need to buy is refills, and ONLY when the product is empty, there is literally no vacancy here!

• Like 1

Originally Posted by Laced Ivory View Post

4) Focus on skincare rather than makeup. You'll find that once your skin is glowing and healthy, you'll have less need for makeup to cover up imperfections!

You are so absolutely right on this one! I spend most of my $ on skin care products. I buy bulk 1 lb mineral foundation that will last forever.. still haven't used it up and it's half full (I refill my empty containers) for $60 on ebay. I also buy good lipstick and good mascara and I don't need anything else for normal everyday wear, but I have amazing skin!

I used to have awful cystic acne, large pores, oily t-zone, etc where I was spending a ton of money trying to cover up the problem and find better products. Once I stopped that, started focusing on skin care, and only using mineral foundation my skin healed.  I now get compliments several times a week. I am a new person and could never go back to wearing anything on my face except mineral make up and high quality skin care products. 

Originally Posted by corvettekrista View Post

You are so absolutely right on this one! I spend most of my $ on skin care products. I buy bulk 1 lb mineral foundation that will last forever.. still haven't used it up and it's half full (I refill my empty containers) for $60 on ebay. I also buy good lipstick and good mascara and I don't need anything else for normal everyday wear, but I have amazing skin!

I used to have awful cystic acne, large pores, oily t-zone, etc where I was spending a ton of money trying to cover up the problem and find better products. Once I stopped that, started focusing on skin care, and only using mineral foundation my skin healed.  I now get compliments several times a week. I am a new person and could never go back to wearing anything on my face except mineral make up and high quality skin care products. 

What did you use for your cystic acne? I have this issue too sometimes

I try to remind myself constantly that I have too much makeup, and just go into my stash, lay everything out and realize it's a lot. If there is something I really really want that I don't have something similar to, I wait until I have finished something, or accomplished something before getting it

• Like 1

Originally Posted by Political goth View Post

What did you use for your cystic acne? I have this issue too sometimes

This is what I tell everyone.. stop using Olay, Aveeno, Garnier, and Neutrogena (the usual drug store brands). Start being more natural and feeding your skin with healthy, nourishing treatments. 

1. Soap- I use Dove sensitive skin bar soap on my face. It's unscented and unlike most other bar soaps, it does not strip your face and it does an excellent job of cleansing your skin. All those chemically loaded, scented skin cleansers don't work half as well as Dove. Save money here, it's good for your skin! It works just fine with the Clarsonic too. 

2. Use eye serum, the really nourishing type. I like Yes to Blueberries, 40 Carrots eye serum, I'm liking Eclos, I use Juice Beauty & like Juice Organics just as much (cheaper version made by the same company). Don't use the products that are loaded with parabens, sulphates, artificial colors and fragrances, it's not good for your skin! I also SKIP the ones with SPF because my mineral make up has natural SPF and my skin reacts badly to SPF products. I apply mineral makeup lightly to my arms and chest when at theme parks and it works just as well if not better than sunscreen lotion. 

3. I use Argan oil in my eye area only. Skip it if you are just concerned with acne. It will keep your eyes looking younger though. 

4. Use a good moisturizer, again Juice Beauty, Juice Organics, 40 carrots, Yes to Blueberries (skip their tomato one). The more organic, natural, and nourishing the better your skin will look. Your skin has to heal so it needs this very much! 

5. Once a week do a facial mask of Aztec Secret Indian Healing Clay  and raw organic apple cider vinegar. It will suck everything bad out of your pores. It's the best facial you will ever do and it's incredibly cheap & all natural. You can do this more often to control oil and pimple outbreaks. 

6. Exfoliate weekly too! Clarsonic is gentle exfoliation daily if it doesn't irritate your skin, but you can use a scrub (I like baking soda and juice of one lemon), or a gentle peel (I won't tell you what I use because it voids my natural organic rules, lol). 

7. Use mineral make up. There are many good ebay sellers that have fabulous products in big giant kits for under $20. Try a few over time and figure out your best color and best formula for your skin type and then order it in bulk. I used to love the mineral concealers, mineral veils, and of course the foundation. Now that my skin is completely healed I only use the foundation. Mineral make up can really work so much better than all the liquids, cream foundations, and concealers. It will last longer, be cheaper if bought from a boutique seller on ebay, and look so much better than any liquid type product could. 

8. I also use "brightening serums" and they're supposed to even out skin tone. I think they work, but I can be sure exfoliation or healing my skin fixed it or if the brightening serums played a role. 

9. I have found primers irritate my skin. That's fine because my mineral make up looks good without primer. A mist of h2o can help to set your make up once applied, or there are powdered mineral veils. 

10. Skip Proactiv, I tried it a few times, it didn't help one bit. Over time when I switched to natural & or organic skin care, really nourishing my skin (despite the fact that I live in hot & humid Florida with oily skin) and mineral make up my skin just magically transformed into something beautiful. I had cystic acne from the age of 15 until late 30's. That's a long time! My daughter looks to me for guidance on this and she was able to get her acne under control in no time. 

11. Wash your face only twice a day. Morning and night. You can use mineral make up really lightly on your face after washing and moisturizing (nourishing!) at night if you feel like you can't show your cystic acne. I used to do that and it helped my self-esteem and to see the canvas in the mirror that I wanted. A light dusting of mineral foundation at night will not hurt your skin one bit. 

Ive been on a no buy and declutter journey for a while and here are a few tips that I've used to help me pull through and avoid the urge to have that new blush from mac or that beautiful nail polish that I already have in my collection.  Great post, and I hope these help! :) 

Don't go into makeup stores and don't walk past the cometic section.  

When deciding whether or not to purchase an item , think to yourself "do I really need this? do I have something like this at home already?" 

Throw out or put away any makeup coupons, deals, or advertisements. They're just going to sit there and temp you. 

Don't view any makeup reviews or videosposts recommending products. They definitely have a tendency to make you go out and purchase items. 

Do an inventory list - once you realize how much stuff you have, you won't have the urge to go out and buy more as much.

Give yourself a budget or product limit each month and tell yourself that you can not go beyond those numbers.  

• Like 2

I do not buy a lot of makeup I buy per season so with spring coming I did some thinking on what I really want and need. Got a lipstick at a drugstore in one of the spring colors. Ordered some items online and that is it. Once spring arrives I start thinking about what I will buy for summer 2014.

• Like 2

This definitely has helped me shop my stash. 

- I did a palette inventory, and for a good month (I don't wear makeup everyday) I used 1 of my too many palettes every time I did my makeup. I could not use one palette two days in arow or use ANY of my eye shadow singles*. It forced me to use palettes I hadn't used as much as I should and forced me not to reach for my Naked palette. I'm doing one now for my quads, quints, trios, smaller palettes etc. right now. 

- For the last 4 months, I've been using one of those clear, acrylic organizers with 9 spots. I chose 9 lipsticks, and for a full month, I have to choose a lip product only from that group. It's really forced me to shop my stash. 

*I did allow myself to have a couple of my HG matte blending shades and a matte highlight shade (WnW Brule) in case the palette didn't have a matte shadow or good transition shade.

• Like 2

I've been good the past three weeks by setting a goal for myself. I am so lusting after a few specific pricey items (a Tom Ford shadow quad, an Hourglass Ambient Light pressed powder, a few others), so I tell myself that every week I can go without buying *any* makeup, I can put 10 bucks in my imaginary piggy bank towards one of those items. So basically if I go two months without buying, I can get my Tom Ford quad. If I fall off the wagon, oh well, it will just take that much longer for me to get what I really want.

This works for me because I already have plenty of makeup (PLENTY), so it's not as if I have to forego something I really "need." If I had a smaller stash...well, if I had a smaller stash I probably wouldn't be looking at this forum, lol.

I've been on a low buy since the besinning of 2014 and here are some tips hat has helped me a LOT :)

- When i want something but I have a similar product in my collection already, I look for good reviews of the product I have and bad reviews for the product I want ;)

- If I want something that is unique to everything i have, it will only be a matter of time before I get it. I always keep a list on my phone off things I want, both specific items like "naked 2 palette" and general like "a dark olive green pencil eyeliner".

- I never give myself a spending limit, because that would only make me spend that exact amount every month no matter what. Instead I allow myself to buy a new product for every two that I finish. The price of this shiny new toy does not matter as long as I can afford it. I'd rather have one expensive product that I love, than five that I bought just because they were cheap.

- I keep a list on my phone with products I want to use up, and every time I use one of the products I make a note. This keps me motivated to clear out the things I don't like as much and also old products that need to be gone soon.

• Like 2

- I never give myself a spending limit, because that would only make me spend that exact amount every month no matter what. Instead I allow myself to buy a new product for every two that I finish. The price of this shiny new toy does not matter as long as I can afford it. I'd rather have one expensive product that I love, than five that I bought just because they were cheap.

Love it!!! :)

For me what has worked is truly doing an inventory of everything I have, which forces me to really LOOK at those items...next time something shiny comes around, I'll have that memory fresh of "Oh, I have an item that performs very similarly."

It usually kills my lemmings.

That and unsubscribe from all newsletters. I have tried the skincare route but I am one of those that when I get obsessed, I get full on obsessed, so my obsession with colorful eyeshadow will switch to finding that PERFECT night cream...and guess what happens? I end up with like 13 bottles. So I keep my skincare routine small but effective (sensitive skin here, after all... it doesn't pay to try things out much in the skincare dept. since it could potentially irritate my face badly), and then just figure out creative ways to use what I have. 

• Like 3