What I find ironic

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
We participate in breast cancer walks (well I don't because I don't see the point) yet spend money on products which are very likely to blame for breast cancer in the first place.

water?

Originally Posted by emily_3383 /img/forum/go_quote.gif What doesn't cause cancer? that's what i want to know.

Have to agree with all of the above, besides, there is a thread on this already, it is controversial true enough but the bottom line is we dont know what we deal with on a regular basis that can cause cancer and it really isnt right to pass blame from company to company.

And if we want to get techinical, the high levels of chlorine in water could cause cancer, the plastic that water is bottled in can cause cancer, everything we encounter can cause cancer
smile.gif

Dang your right .. forgot about that

offtopic this is in a makeup section shouldnt this be moved to chat section??

Originally Posted by Aprill /img/forum/go_quote.gif And if we want to get techinical, the high levels of chlorine in water could cause cancer, the plastic that water is bottled in can cause cancer, everything we encounter can cause cancer
smile.gif

the point of the walks is to help people everyone weather it is there fault or not that they have breast cancer. a life is a life and they are trying to save them.

also a lot of breast cancer is caused by genetics. if you have the brac1 or the brac2 gene you have a considerably higher risk of getting breast cancer. the normal population has a 13.6% chance where as people with the brac1 or the brac2 gene have between a 36 and 86 percent chance of getting breast cancer. your odds are also increased if a parent has had breast cancer.

if you have previously have had breast cancer and have the brac1 or the brac2 gene than you have an 80 percent chance of the cancer returning in the same breast and a 60 percent chance of it appearing in the other breast.

in certian areas of living your risk of breast cancer is increased. mainly the north east.

there was a fertility drug used in the 1950's that increases the incedince of children who were born as a result, and there children too.

estrogen, progesterone and several other hormones that are found in birth control, help reduce the risk of having cervical cancer but the increased amounts of estrogen increase your chances of breast cancer and cervical cancer

having children later in life, as is the trend in America, also increases your chances of breast cancer. your estrogeen levels are extremely high until you have your first child than they drop considerably. the earlier you have a child the less estrogen you are exposed to in your life time.

not all of the causes of breast cancer are caused by human negligence to there health.

something as simple as the type of water you drink can increase your risks.

as for me, my risks are high my mother had breast cancer, and had a brac1 mutation. i live in an increased risk area, my grandma took those fertility drugs. so at 20 i have allready had heat scans to predict any problems in the future and allready am showing spots of moderate risk. Within the next few years i will have to get genetic testing to determine if i have the brac1 or the brac 2 mutation, and down the line consider a radical masectomy.

so do not assume that every breast cancer fighter and survivor is participating in activities or using products to increase there odds of getting cancer again. when really most of those people are doing everything they can just to stay alive.

i find it ironic that you're saying you won't participate in a walk to raise money for breast cancer when you're clearly worried you're going to get it yourself.

Originally Posted by fingers /img/forum/go_quote.gif i find it ironic that you're saying you won't participate in a walk to raise money for breast cancer when you're clearly worried you're going to get it yourself. I understand but I'm just pretty sure the money is not going to do anything. If it weren't for the greed of pharmaceutical companies, the cures to cancers may have seen the light of day. I believe the cures are being suppressed for the sake of profit. Domestic violence walks also puzzle me. What can they really do? What people need are to be educated about the matter, not silent walks. A hundred people walking in silence is not going to help me or other women who are trapped in such situations.

But not to derail from the thread...

LOL!!! The walks are not about walking in silence. I walk for diabetes, since I'm Obese, does that make me a hypocrite because I walk for a cause that killed my father? Anyway....When you walk, you are sponsored by a company that will donate to your cause. That money goes to research. In the case of domestic violence, it goes to the battered women's shelters, ect. The money does alot, the money helps alot, maybe you need to jump in one of the boats of misunderstanding and you would probably be complaining that they werent doing enough for you.

I think that thing that you need to do is chill, because the way you are talking...not very smart :/......

Originally Posted by Aprill /img/forum/go_quote.gif LOL!!! The walks are not about walking in silence. I walk for diabetes, since I'm Obese, does that make me a hypocrite because I walk for a cause that killed my father? Anyway....When you walk, you are sponsored by a company that will donate to your cause. That money goes to research. In the case of domestic violence, it goes to the battered women's shelters, ect. The money does alot, the money helps alot, maybe you need to jump in one of the boats of misunderstanding and you would probably be complaining that they werent doing enough for you.
I think that thing that you need to do is chill, because the way you are talking...not very smart :/......

For shizzle.For the normal people, that means FOR SURE or I AGREE, lol!!

Originally Posted by Aprill /img/forum/go_quote.gif LOL!!! The walks are not about walking in silence. I walk for diabetes, since I'm Obese, does that make me a hypocrite because I walk for a cause that killed my father? Anyway....When you walk, you are sponsored by a company that will donate to your cause. That money goes to research. In the case of domestic violence, it goes to the battered women's shelters, ect. The money does alot, the money helps alot, maybe you need to jump in one of the boats of misunderstanding and you would probably be complaining that they werent doing enough for you.

Sorry I'm just bitter. A lot of emotions and little logic will make anybody sound dumb

Why would people bother participating in those walks if there weren't useful and beneficial?...Nipaeri, you definitely need to do your homeworks on the subject
wink.gif

Originally Posted by Nipaeri /img/forum/go_quote.gif Sorry I'm just bitter. Most of us here dont like bitter post threads....

Quote:
I understand but I'm just pretty sure the money is not going to do anything. If it weren't for the greed of pharmaceutical companies, the cures to cancers may have seen the light of day. I believe the cures are being suppressed for the sake of profit. Domestic violence walks also puzzle me. What can they really do? What people need are to be educated about the matter, not silent walks. A hundred people walking in silence is not going to help me or other women who are trapped in such situations.

But not to derail from the thread...

okay education time everyone!the money from those walks are donated to the cause in the best way to treat those patients, that means medical care, emotional care and many other facets of health. while i can not speak specificly on domestic violence since i am not involved in that field of work i can speak on pharmacutical companies, and drug manufacturers.

so lets start with the very basics...

when a scientist wants to make a study the write out a proposial that includes an abstract (summary), all the steps they are going to take in the study, the steps they are hoping to acchieve, a list of how much staff they think they will require, and a list of all the equitment both disposable and reusable that they will need. this is then sent to the government and several other agencies for aproval and a grant (money they do not have to pay back so they can run the study)

now one of two things can happen i can go to the government where it will most likely be attatched to some bill as pork barrel spending and either be sent back to the senate several times till most of the money is taken away from the study, or in few cir***stances it will be passed.

however you can also appeal to charity organizations to review your study and evaluate it. you would obviously have to go to a charity organization related to the disease or illness you are trying to cure. and they can approve it and give you a grant. however if they find that statisticly the study is unlikely to be succsessful you wont get funding.

once funding is obtained you than beging testing and studying and in most cases with medicine this involves some sort of lab animal. if the medicine is succsesful in tresting the disease in a lab animal than they have to procede on to FDA aproval.

there are three stages of FDA aproval. they are all pretty similar (ever heard of a drug trial) but basicly they start small and get bigger and as they go through the stages they do eliminate people that are not responding as well to the drug in order to have better chances of getting the drug approved.

if it passes FDA inspection than it is put out to market. if it does not pass any part of what i previously spoke about we never see it.

however drug use in FDA trials at this point. during the 2nd and third stages of the drug trial it can be given to patients who have terminal versions of the same disease to buy them time at no cost to the patient.

now based on your logic you have been using i bet you are wondering why they charge so much for the medicine when they are initially given money for free. well the reason is the cost of producing these drugs is usually extremely high and these drug trials and studys can go on for more than 25 years. this adds up to massive amounts of money that the company is trying to recoup in order to stay affloat and be able to produce more money.

you really need to try to not have such a cynical view on the world. not everyone is out to take advantage of those who have fallen on bad health or cir***stances <----- uhhh that is not a curse word lol!

Back