Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Adrienne

Now that the elections over....

Recommended Posts

Originally Posted by StereoXGirl View Post
It is more than possible to be proud of your country yet disagree with policies enacted by those in power.
Think of it as a parent whose child behaves badly, - always in and out of trouble. The child is a bully, and doesn't like to play fair. Would you praise that child? Would you be a proud parent? Or would you wonder what's wrong with the child?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
This country has behaved shamefully in the past 8 years (actually for along time before that, but it came to a critical head these past 8 years).

The politics and greed towards other countries and ourselves has been nothing to be proud of.

The rest of the world calls us Ugly Americans for a reason.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...rmaid/logo.jpg

The arrogance, the greed, the lack of social concern has been disraceful.

I have heard too many people say, "I don't care what the rest of the world thinks" and that's exactly the nasty attitude that earned us that rep.

WE NEED to think globally and how we are received but this country has got so conceited that we have got out of touch and our schools reflect that, our medical system reflects that, our ECONOMY reflects it.

We need to get off the high horse and join the rest of the world.

I think this new president can get us started and on the road.

Definitely agree.

 

To be honest, anyone - whether it was McCain or Obama - would be a much farther step up than Bush to a better direction.

Hopefully another site like this won't happen again, though: Sorry Everybody

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
This country has behaved shamefully in the past 8 years (actually for along time before that, but it came to a critical head these past 8 years).

The politics and greed towards other countries and ourselves has been nothing to be proud of.

The rest of the world calls us Ugly Americans for a reason.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...rmaid/logo.jpg

The arrogance, the greed, the lack of social concern has been disraceful.

I have heard too many people say, "I don't care what the rest of the world thinks" and that's exactly the nasty attitude that earned us that rep.

WE NEED to think globally and how we are received but this country has got so conceited that we have got out of touch and our schools reflect that, our medical system reflects that, our ECONOMY reflects it.

We need to get off the high horse and join the rest of the world.

I think this new president can get us started and on the road.

Im soooooo glad to hear Americans talk like this, such a relief... whats portrayed on the media is totally different...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by StereoXGirl View Post
It is more than possible to be proud of your country yet disagree with policies enacted by those in power.
Not really....because our leader represents this country, and poor leadership leads to poor feelings about this country.

 

I think about it like this in fat girl terms...if I go to Wendy's and the prices are high and the service is poor and the manager didnt care..I wouldnt think of going back and I would be ashamed until leadership changed. I cant leave this country, but I can be ashamed until leadership changes, cause that is one good thing about America, leadership can change.

 

And its not necessarily about Obama...he could very well do what Bush did and I will be ashamed again...but for the moment, I am proud <3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have to be honest. After weeks of deliberation I finally decided to vote for Obama. I cast my vote yesterday not entirely aware that I was helping to make history or anything. I just felt i was voting for the better candidate. I didn't pay any attention to his race and that is the truth. and to my way of thinking that is the way i think it should be. Isn't that what equality is all about?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
This country has behaved shamefully in the past 8 years (actually for along time before that, but it came to a critical head these past 8 years).

The politics and greed towards other countries and ourselves has been nothing to be proud of.

The rest of the world calls us Ugly Americans for a reason.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...rmaid/logo.jpg

The arrogance, the greed, the lack of social concern has been disraceful.

I have heard too many people say, "I don't care what the rest of the world thinks" and that's exactly the nasty attitude that earned us that rep.

WE NEED to think globally and how we are received but this country has got so conceited that we have got out of touch and our schools reflect that, our medical system reflects that, our ECONOMY reflects it.

We need to get off the high horse and join the rest of the world.

I think this new president can get us started and on the road.

I would agree with you if you made that number like 7 instead of 8. I think if you look back and look at 911 and its aftermath most people were really pleased with the way Bush got most of the world to acknowledge that a terrible thing happened to this country. 911 was a national tragedy and we had everyone's sympathy and a whole lot of support from both our allies and some unexpected sources, like Pakistan. We decided to go after the terrorists and most people were probably happy with that decision. (even Obama wants to finish the job there). So i'm going to give Bush a pass for year 1.

 

But from that point on everything went dreadfully wrong . when France wouldn't go along with us they want to change the name from French Fries to Freedom Fries (remember that?) , it was made clear if you weren't for us you were against us and that was just the start. It all started going downhill from an International standpoint. So thats why i say make it 7 instead of 8. ok?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was definitely a "Where were you when.." moment. I worried myself sick ALL DAY, even when it started looking like Obama was going to win. I was worried for a lot of reasons, that my hopes would be crushed, a la 2000 and 2004, that the "Bradley" effect was an actual threat, that our country would rather stay the course into mediocrity than to embrace the change we need in modern America.

 

America is a great country, but it is NOT without fault. We are the country of slavery. We are the country of reserved rights. We once said that Black people were 3/8 of a human being. We systematically killed and assimilated Native Americans after stealing their lands. We denied the right to vote to women and minorities. We've killed for many reasons, not all of them righteous. In every instance of wrong, our people had to stand up, fight and die for the cause. You cannot say that you love your country, that you are a patriot, that God blesses America when you don't even give a damn about your neighbor.

 

Patriotism is not free, it should call you to task to protect it, to embrace it is to come together as a community and live and die as ONE. Our enemies see us as a single entity, why do you think it to be safer to ignore the plight of your own people rather than seem "socialist?" America needs to overcome its apathy to its own people, we must realize that our country is bigger than all of us, and that simply being fat, happy, and entertained isn't good enough anymore.

 

This is Barack Obama's America. This is my America. This is the America that my kids are going to inherit and be proud of.

Like anyone, we need to grow into being good, it is not just divinely so. We need to learn from our mistakes by at least acknowledging that we have them. We can be the greatest country in the world, but we have to work TOGETHER to do so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was so proud and i got teary eyes when he told his kids they were getting a puppy. lol i guess i could see the father in him and it just made him a real human person that really trully cared about what he was doing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by Aprill View Post
This was definitely a where were you moment...and I was im-ing 6 people at one time, talking to my husband and mother on the phone, and it just came out of the blue, Nury (or Tris) typed 333 146 and i was like wtf is that, lol, looked up at the TV, Jesse Jackson was crying, and I just got cold. I got the chills and i was freaking out crying. It was a great moment.
I IMed you the 333 146 too tongue.gif

 

I was talking to Aprill on MSN and it's a day I will never ever forget. I cried and I'm not even American. Some ignorant fool on my facebook was like, why are all you non-Americans so hyped up about something that's not even Canadian . . . as if yesterday's election didn't effect the entire free world . . . bah. I work in a hospital and I see hundreds of people a day (serving them coffee :P) . . . I think I saw hundreds of Canadian Obama supporters today and I felt glad that I wasn't the only one so goofily happy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was pretty sure he was going to win a long time ago, so the fact that he won wasn't a huge deal for me personally. It was a huge deal for the country however, and I'm really excited and proud that my first time voting was for such a historical election, and one that paid a lot of attention too and tried to make an informed smart decision. That part of it did get me a little emotional, just because I have actually followed it, and tried to be as involved as I could in the whole process. I was proud to be a part of the whole thing, in my own little way. I don't want to get too excited about anything though, I'd rather wait and see what happens. I've had to learn the hard way not to get too excited about anything that seems too good to be true, because most of the time it is. I'm not saying that's going to be the case, but ya never know. One thing I can say it's going to take a lot more than a new president to see a drastic change in the country. There are so many people, and factors involved. And soon enough the celebrity of Obama, and the race issue, and all the glitter and promises will fade away, and he has to be a real life president of the USA. I think he's a good man, and I hope he does great things. It'll deffinately, regardless, be a huge change from what we've seen in a long time. I'm excited to watch it unfold!!

 

Originally Posted by tinktink22 View Post
I was so proud and i got teary eyes when he told his kids they were getting a puppy. lol i guess i could see the father in him and it just made him a real human person that really trully cared about what he was doing

I know!! I thought that was so cute!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

well, basically elections are same every where in the world, they promise you loads of things but as soon as they are elected, if you ask them about something they promised, they say it is under consideration or well, we have approved it but it needs to be cleared for the upper house or something. it is fun just for one day!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by CellyCell View Post
I felt compassion for gay folks and prop 8 not going through.

I was hoping people were ready for that change...

 

I'm happy this has happen in my lifetime and really it's exciting to see how our future will pend out.

Agree totally... it was a night and morning of elation as well as sadness. It was definitely a teary moment- good and bad.

 

As fr our new president elect- I am so excited to be here in this moment of historical firsts... as the one presidential historian said, this will definitely become a door of opportunity for a woman, a Jew, a Muslim, a Latino, an Asian to become our future president. This is a moment where any child around the world can dream that one day they too can become a Leader.

 

On the other hand- I am bitterly upset over Proposition 8 passing. I will never understand this, ever. The commitment to love each other for better or for worse, between two people, no matter what gender, is something so special and so personal that I cannot see how anyone can oppose it. Love is universal with no boundaries. I cannot even type without crying over how awful I think Prop 8 iis.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
This country has behaved shamefully in the past 8 years (actually for along time before that, but it came to a critical head these past 8 years).

The politics and greed towards other countries and ourselves has been nothing to be proud of.

The rest of the world calls us Ugly Americans for a reason.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...rmaid/logo.jpg

The arrogance, the greed, the lack of social concern has been disraceful.

I have heard too many people say, "I don't care what the rest of the world thinks" and that's exactly the nasty attitude that earned us that rep.

WE NEED to think globally and how we are received but this country has got so conceited that we have got out of touch and our schools reflect that, our medical system reflects that, our ECONOMY reflects it.

We need to get off the high horse and join the rest of the world.

I think this new president can get us started and on the road.

I agree 100%. Americans have had a very bad reputation in the rest of the world. I remember getting a really bad attitude from one of my good friends about dating an American who was in the military, pro-war and a Republican (all of these things were red flags to us). In her eyes this is what every American is like, because this is what Bush represented. The majority of Europeans felt that way and it was very sad to me, because I know not everybody was/is like that.

I think part of it is because the American Patriotism is a bit scary to us, it seems like if you´re a good patriot you have your flag, love the president, believe everything the news tell you and never question a thing...this is a bit exaggerated of course, but a lot of people here think that way. We just can´t relate to that amount of patriotism.

 

Obama is very popular in Europe, we were all rooting for him. I think the fact that he was elected already sends a very positive message to the rest of the world. So let´s see what happens next, lets see if he lives up to expectations

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by Andi View Post
I agree 100%. Americans have had a very bad reputation in the rest of the world. I remember getting a really bad attitude from one of my good friends about dating an American who was in the military, pro-war and a Republican (all of these things were red flags to us). In her eyes this is what every American is like, because this is what Bush represented. The majority of Europeans felt that way and it was very sad to me, because I know not everybody was/is like that.

I think part of it is because the American Patriotism is a bit scary to us, it seems like if you´re a good patriot you have your flag, love the president, believe everything the news tell you and never question a thing...this is a bit exaggerated of course, but a lot of people here think that way. We just can´t relate to that amount of patriotism.

 

Obama is very popular in Europe, we were all rooting for him. I think the fact that he was elected already sends a very positive message to the rest of the world. So let´s see what happens next, lets see if he lives up to expectations

You hit the nail on the head Andi, a lot of Australians share that attitude too. Most, including myself know there is more to Amerrican than what Bush represented, however I have personally come across many Americans with those attitudes, so it is easy to see why people would assume all Americans are like that.

 

I think Obama will bring a lot a lot of positive change to the US, and in turn, the rest of the world. New blood is always good. I hope things pan out well smile.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

we had an election party! LOL. we bough american food- donuts, doritos, hamburgers, oreos, californian wine.. hahah

it didn't come through till 4 am here, we were all pretty tired and kinda drunk. and then i can't remember which states called it over but as soon as they did we all screamed and jumped around lol and some people on the street outside were singing.

 

its not just the us!! people everywhere are celebrating this, it is such a breakthrough. but as you're are pointing out, it's up to americans to knuckle down and help him create the change we're all talking about. Andi's point about america behaving badly i would 100% agree with. but it's not irreversable, let's hope obama starts with sorting out iraq as promised and gets both our countries troops back home soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am really glad that people that dont live in the US were able to chime in on this thread to give us Americans a little bit of a reality check..thanks guys!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quote:
Think of it as a parent whose child behaves badly, - always in and out of trouble. The child is a bully, and doesn't like to play fair. Would you praise that child? Would you be a proud parent? Or would you wonder what's wrong with the child?
Quote:
Not really....because our leader represents this country, and poor leadership leads to poor feelings about this country.

 

I think about it like this in fat girl terms...if I go to Wendy's and the prices are high and the service is poor and the manager didnt care..I wouldnt think of going back and I would be ashamed until leadership changed. I cant leave this country, but I can be ashamed until leadership changes, cause that is one good thing about America, leadership can change.

 

And its not necessarily about Obama...he could very well do what Bush did and I will be ashamed again...but for the moment, I am proud <3

Well we're obviously going to have to agree to disagree on this one.

 

Has America done some bad things in the past? Of course it has. Is America perfect? Not by any means. But it is still a great country with great citizens. Being proud of one's country and being patriotic does not in any way mean blindly accepting everything that those in power do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For those of us saying that politicians promise a bunch of stuff, then get in office and don't honor them. I ask whose fault is that? So what, we elect them and then leave the affairs of our nation up to them. Wash our hands after election day and grumble when what we want doesn't get done? Bah!

 

This is where you excercise your true democratic right and go to your representative. Petition, write letters. Write in the newspapers. BROADCAST the farce. Stop being silent. The gov't serves us. I know we were led to believe that they're sovereign, but no. We put them there. We get to criticize them. We get a say!

 

Since I put Obama there, I'm sure to stick on his @$$. He used the youth to get him there. He has to honor his promise to us. And I'll be sure to remind him of it....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
This country has behaved shamefully in the past 8 years (actually for along time before that, but it came to a critical head these past 8 years).

The politics and greed towards other countries and ourselves has been nothing to be proud of.

The rest of the world calls us Ugly Americans for a reason.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...rmaid/logo.jpg

The arrogance, the greed, the lack of social concern has been disraceful.

I have heard too many people say, "I don't care what the rest of the world thinks" and that's exactly the nasty attitude that earned us that rep.

WE NEED to think globally and how we are received but this country has got so conceited that we have got out of touch and our schools reflect that, our medical system reflects that, our ECONOMY reflects it.

We need to get off the high horse and join the rest of the world.

I think this new president can get us started and on the road.

satisfied.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by reesesilverstar View Post
For those of us saying that politicians promise a bunch of stuff, then get in office and don't honor them. I ask whose fault is that? So what, we elect them and then leave the affairs of our nation up to them. Wash our hands after election day and grumble when what we want doesn't get done? Bah!

 

This is where you excercise your true democratic right and go to your representative. Petition, write letters. Write in the newspapers. BROADCAST the farce. Stop being silent. The gov't serves us. I know we were led to believe that they're sovereign, but no. We put them there. We get to criticize them. We get a say!

 

Since I put Obama there, I'm sure to stick on his @$$. He used the youth to get him there. He has to honor his promise to us. And I'll be sure to remind him of it....

I agree. We elected a very democratic president, so we should be democratic citizens. We want to be able to make all of our own choices, and we want to whine about the condition of the country, and we are the country. If everyone did there part in making this country what it could be, the results would be incredible.

 

 

And I'm also very sad to know that prop8 was passed as well. With everything else going on in the world it just seems so silly. Even if you don't believe in gay marriage, which is whatever your allowed to have your own beliefs and live your life the way you want so shouldn't people who have different beliefs have that right too, but even if you don't like it you should be picking your battles right now. Go out and fight for something that directly affects you and the rest of the country. Kinda like Anderson Cooper said on Ellen the other day, who cares if gay people have the right to have bar-b-qs and argue about money, shouldn't everyone have that right?? lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i was excited! i remember i was watching tv at a friend's when they announced it..i'm happy he won the election, it truly was a historical moment and i'm glad that i'm living in this generation right now where there is so much change & revolution.

 

like some of the others said, i hope he does well for our country!! and hopefully he can help straighten out our economy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • NARS Cosmetics Shop Cargo Cosmetics Today!


  • Posts

    • In my opinion, Tinder is more like an application for finding a partner for one night. This is completely frivolous for me. If I look for a girl for myself, then I will start browsing serious sites. You can see an approximate review in this source. When a girl talks about marriage, this gives a better chance of a long and serious relationship.
    • Greetings! A variety of t-shirts are in fashion nowadays and I am going to share the most trendy ones: Plain White Tees - If you are thinking that plain white tees are getting out of fashion then you are wrong. Either you wear tuck tees with jeans or full sleeve plain white tees with jackets. They always look cool. Graphic T-Shirts - Yes, the craze of graphic tees is increasing not only in public but also among the celebs. Even the big brands like Nike and Gucci are also offering logo tees. You can also see some unique women graphic tees here. Colorful Dye T-Shirts - On the other hand, girls are also crazy to wear Dye t-shirts. You can see the following ones in this regard. What other tees trends do you think should females must follow in this regard? I am waiting for your responses and suggestions.   
    • I think both of them are looking awesome. However, I like the grey more. I can understand how tough it is to go with a single option. I am also willing to get an awesome men graphic tee for my husband from here but it is getting tough for me to go with a single option because I like all of them. However, I shortlisted these two. What do you think which one is more good. 
    • At Spiceurbeauty, we use only the safest hyaluronic acid-based dermal fillers which are semi-permanent only. The effects will fade gradually as the filler biodegrades but should last between 9 to 12 months. Excessive exercise or dehydration can contribute to minimizing the benefits of hyaluronic fillers. To maintain your fuller lips it is recommended that you come back to us on an annual basis or sooner for a smaller top up if desired and deemed suitable. The filler will biodegrade and be excreted naturally over time.
    • The Lip fillers that we use at Spiceurbeauty are manufactured with an anaesthetic, which makes the lip enhancement treatment less painful as it numbs the skin. We would not carry out lip treatments without adding anaesthesia due to client safety. If during your procedure you feel uncomfortable, tell your practitioner and ask for a break Or if you can have additional topical cream  

About MakeupTalk®

© 2003-2018 MakeupTalk.com®, an active online community and message board geared towards members wanting to discuss everything to do with makeup, cosmetics, product reviews, monthly subscription boxes and general beauty related topics. Our community provides product reviews, makeup and general beauty tips. Our most popular topics are subscription boxes and their monthly spoilers. Join our community for free to take part in the conversations and share your own beauty tips and product reviews with others. We look forward to seeing you online here at Makeuptalk®!

MakeupTalk® Facebook

×