How can I tone down a gold sequin dress?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have just bought a Gold sequin dress (picture of it is shown) for a christmas party this year, but i am worried it is going to be too 'sparkly' and i might stand out a little too much - does anyone know what i could wear or use to tone it down a little?

I moved this to the fashion forum for you
smile.gif

I would go with black shoes, not too high and fairly plain accessories - since there is a black belt on the dress it will still look matching without going over the top

Wow!! That's an awesome dress... Going to look fantastic and hard to tone down.. How about a knit or wolven shawl? Maybe in a black with some gold threads?

SH100-02B.JPG

Thanks, i have got some black court shoes with a shiny gold heel that match perfectly, i didnt know if this would make me stand out even more though! im worried that it is too much just for a christmas party, were meant to be going for a meal at an italian restaurant then going clubbing afterwards, do you think i should wear some sort of cardigan to cover it up a little?

hmm. Depends. Can we see the shoes?

LOL. I would say if you're not comfortable then a plain black pashmina or a black cardi or shrug thingy would be perfect.

Ive attached the shoes, i have got a black cardi but its a short one that stop just under the bust, (i havn't got a picture) i tried tha ton with it but it didnt really look right :-S

hmm. I can't see the shoes...

If not a cardigan I reckon a pashmina shawl thing
smile.gif

ETA - Saw the shoes! I agree, they'd look great!

ok then, i'll have a look around for some sort of shawl, thanks for your help everyone! i'll be back if i get stuck again!! lol

Simone

i would sugest either an oversized cardigin like the one from american apparel (though i am sure you can find one cheaper i am just using that for refrence),

serve.asp

or perhaps a sloucy vest.

i just think something a little less structured would look good with such a structured dress

I think as long as you don't overdo it with accessories you should be fine. Keep everything else simple since the dress itself is already a huge statement.

If you're afraid of it being too much sparkle, I'd add a black blazer or a sweater, shrug, or pashmina. Or adding a thick black belt to the dress or a black sash worn as a belt would help to tone it down as well. I like the black shoes.
smile.gif
Good luck and have fun!

I think the dress will look great. I just hope you are not falling out, or up, like the model, lol.

Shoot, I'd let that sucker shine!

If I bought a sequined dress, my intent would be to sparkle, lol!!

I would go with gold shoes and a gold sequined evening purse and show off!!
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Gorgeous dress
smile.gif

A black bolero would work well.

your going to look amazing.

maybe some low key shoes to tone it down a bit but its gorgeous and if I wore it I wouldn't want to tone it down!

I would say a black jacket and black shoes...and no accessories except modest earrings...play up ur skin with plenty bronzer etc, and when its time to club lose the jacket! that dress screams DIVA
biggrin.gif

Btw, an updo is more formal than playful curls, u might want to consider this if u have long hair

Originally Posted by Ozee /img/forum/go_quote.gif Gorgeous dress
smile.gif

A black bolero would work well.

your going to look amazing.

I agree with the black bolero. And don't go with many accessory, maybe just some earrings
yahoocool.gif

Latest posts

Back