Much ado over foundation!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am sorta frusterated with foundation these days. I used to have many skin problems -acne, rosacea, uneven tone ..you name it. So I used to wear a medium to full coverage foundation. But since going on the miracle cure for acne, aka accutane (yes it really is that good!) ..I have skin almost like I did when I was 12. So I don't want to cover it up anymore! Even though I've had good skin for a while it just recently occured to me that I don't really have to wear foundation anymore. I just got so used to it that I never thought about NOT wearing it. But don't worry I'm not going cold turkey! lol. What I would benefit from is a sheer coverage foundation that lets my natural skin tone show through. Technically that is what a tinted moisturizer is, but the problem with TMs is the lack of shades they come in. The MAs always have the pitch that one shades fits all for your general skin tone. Not true. I am fair toned and nuetral. Not pink, yellow, orange, or gray. So unless someone can tell me of a really good tinted moisturizer that comes in a variety of shades and isn't greasy, What is a very natural finish, sheer to moderate coverage foundation that has a good variety of shades for fair/ pale people and promises to match your skin tone? Perfection? Yes thats what I want
wink.gif
lol.

I just can't seem to find one!! There is not a Sephora where I live
frown.gif
! Only Macy's. Though I may be making a trip up to one soon.

I am open to any suggestions.

Stila illuminating foundation is a good choice. Its suppose to be full coverage but it really is kinda sheer.

I started to use Bobbi Brown's tinted moisturizer, and I love it. It's a very light coverage. Moisturizers tend to make my face oily, but it did none of that. My nose got a little oily, but about the same if I weren't wearing anything on my face. I also heard Laura Mercier tint is good. The one I'm leeming right now is the La Mer tint, but it's $65. I might try that next though because I've heard a lot of good things about it except it only comes in 3 shades. For a cheaper option, I heard Cover Girl Aqua Smoothers tinted moisturizer (I think that's what is called) is pretty good too and get the job done. Hope that helps.

Laura Mercier's tinted moisturiser is great and it comes in a good range of colours.

Go to Bobbi Brown, they have a light coverage liquid foundation with SPF so it will let your natural skin show through whilst protecting it from the sun
smile.gif
Its around $36 by your way I think and a little goes a long way if memory serves (I switched to the stick)

Originally Posted by FallenHalo07 /img/forum/go_quote.gif Go to Bobbi Brown, they have a light coverage liquid foundation with SPF so it will let your natural skin show through whilst protecting it from the sun
smile.gif
Its around $36 by your way I think and a little goes a long way if memory serves (I switched to the stick) How do you like the stick. I'm thinking about trying this. I saw a possible shade match at my CCO. What shade are you by the way? Judging from your FOTD, I think we are very similar in tone. Thanks.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by ninalovesmakeup /img/forum/go_quote.gif How do you like the stick. I'm thinking about trying this. I saw a possible shade match at my CCO. What shade are you by the way? Judging from your FOTD, I think we are very similar in tone. Thanks.
smile.gif
I LOVE the stick!
icon_cheesygrin.gif
I have never used anything this good before, mousse and liquid just don't compare for me. You can get the liquid or matte effect with a stick foundation because you can build/blend it to your heart's content so it basically does what they both do and more
smile.gif
Plus you can't spill it and it doesn't go streaky.

I use the stick foundation in 4.5 but my skin tone obviously varies throughout the year so it might be a good idea to have a 4 as backup or so that you can apply different colours as you skin changes or just on diferent parts of you face? (Never tried it with this one though so don't take my word for it, I would just tend to blend them in together but I have never tried this with stick foundation, just mousse and liquid - needless to say it didn't work but I ended up doing it for several months until I got colour matched again :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />)

And we might be similar tones but PLEASE get colour-matched before you buy anything, I have warm undertones and if you don't you could end up with a very golden/beige face lol x

Thanks! I was looking at the Golden shade at the CCO. I wanted to test it, but I have this thing about stuff just sitting out then putting it on my face. It's probably going to end up between Honey or Golden. I'll have to wait until I get a chance to get back to the BB counter to have them color match me. I'm pretty happy with their tinted moisturizer, but I've been thinking about that stick for awhile.
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Or you could try Prescriptives Traceless...that's a really good one for just even-ing out skin tone without adding any color at all.

Thank guys! I'm gonna explore all of that. I've heard good things about Laura Mercier TM. I think I'll try it first! Where do you find Bobbi Brown though? I didnt think they had it @ Sephora..

Bobbi Brown has a counter at different department stores. Mine is in a Belk. It's also in Nordstrom's, Macy's, and Neiman Marcus I believe. Hope that helps.
smile.gif

I second the Laura Mercier, I have it and LOVE it!

I dont really think it is 'greasy' but I am on accutane right now (and really only have used it since I've been on it the last few months) so my skin is like the Sahara and soaks up everything!

But from what I recall there were quite a few shades and there is also an oil-free selection.

Originally Posted by Rebbierae /img/forum/go_quote.gif Or you could try Prescriptives Traceless...that's a really good one for just even-ing out skin tone without adding any color at all. I was going to say Px Traceless as well. Also, Custom Blend by Px will make either TM or foundation (though I know you indicated you wanted TM). The CB is a bit pricy but just a thought....

my favorite right now is Origins stay tuned superbalancing foundation

it really has good coverage, but it doesn't look cakey!

Originally Posted by maryfitz24 /img/forum/go_quote.gif I was going to say Px Traceless as well. Also, Custom Blend by Px will make either TM or foundation (though I know you indicated you wanted TM). The CB is a bit pricy but just a thought.... Another suggestion....Lancome's TM called Aqua Fusion. I've been using that for about a month...no breakout, itchiness, redness....nice coverage.

Back