Do You Buy a Little All the Time or a Lot Every Once in a While?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Do you buy a few things here-and-there all the time or do you have huge hauls every once in a while?

I tend to shop in phases. I'll send a whole day at the mall, drop a few hundred dollars, and buy all the clothes, shoes, and accessories I need for an entire season. And then I won't shop for another six months or so. Problem is...I feel another one coming on.
smile.gif
I may be getting a new position at work and if everything gets finalized over the next few weeks, I may treat myself to some new work clothes.

So, how do you shop?

I get a little here and there but usually I save for a big haul. It feels better to buy huge hauls then little ones everywhere imo.

I barely shop at all while I´m in Austria, and really save up for my trips to the US. Everything is usually cheaper there (at least a little bit), I can get trendier clothes that not everyone has and on top of that there is Sephora. And outlet stores and CCOs! So yeah, I usually calculate around $700 shopping money for each trip, but that only covers the basics. I could easily spend much more and not really feel guilty, but then again I am limited to two suitcases

It depends, sometimes I'm a grazer when I'm in the shops I'll buy a thing or tow, on the other hand I could do a massive shop and then won't buy anything for ages.

I'm like Bec, I'll graze every now and again, but then sometimes I'll do one big splurge.

i only do a big splurge if i have a life changing event... like i have a new job i need a new more work apropriate wardrobe for or something of that nature.

The majority of the time i shop slowly but surley, i keep a running list of what i need and i get it as i find it for a price i am willing to pay. I find i am more than willing to wait to get something i really want for it to go on sale because since i am college i cant afford to just go out and buy stuff at full price.

My problem is I buy a lot all the time. I'm trying to change that though. Right now, I'm trying to only buy things that I don't need with money I get for Christmas/birthdays/special occasions. If I need new clothes or something that I've actually used up, I don't consider that an unnecessary purchase. It's that I buy stuff and hardly ever touch it. I'm trying to reduce the amount of money I spend on stuff of that nature.

When I had the cash too, I would buy something once a month or whatever. Small purchases. Especially for products I know won't be there the next week (forever21 clothes!...hate that).

Only huge ones I do is for my birthday or Christmas.

It's taken a lot of willpower out of me to not buy a thing even though I really, really wanted it =/

Let's see my credit card bills were almost a $1000. I need to go on a No Buy! I broke the last No Buy!

I tend to go nuts all at once, then not buy again for a while. I get a little manic and can't seem to control myself. Shopping is soooo therapeutic!

I usually won't buy anything until I get a "hm...I don't have ANY of those, and I WANT it!" kick. Then I'll splurge $50-350 on it and stuff associated with it. When I buy, it might be spread out over a couple of weeks, but they're definitely closer to a bunch of quick hauls, and then a huge break. (I've had a few years where I don't even step foot into a mall for the entire year without until christmas time.

If I don't have anything on the top of my mind that I want to buy, I don't really have the urge to go look for it, so I don't tend to have a ton of small splurges. And then when I DO buy, it's like "It's been almost 2 years since I've bought anything really big for myself" and I'll go overboard.

Originally Posted by leenybeeny /img/forum/go_quote.gif Shopping is soooo therapeutic! That's where I mess up, too. I'm usually good about saving money but if I've had a bad couple of days nothing feels better than popping into Sephora and dropping some money.

My spending habits are completely based on how guilty I feel about spending. Seriously... spending guilt is the only thing that holds me back.

So if I am distracted, feeling good, husband has gone off fishing, and Maverick has run around to the point of exhaustion, those are the moments people should keep me away from malls and online shopping.

But if I haven't washed the dishes, and there is a bill sitting on the counter that hasn't been opened yet, and Blaze just got home from working a 10+ hour day... I tend to "window shop" or buy little things here and there.

i tend to shop little by little, but i can also plan my hauls and buy everything in one or just a couple times, so it really depends, i would say it's more about what i want than when i want.

I usually buy a little at a time, but I didn't really buy anything this year, so I'm going to treat myself to MAC Hello Kitty collection.

I usually buy a little at a time. Most of my hauls are small unless I want something pretty pricey and then when I do buy stuff like that, I'll only buy that one thing when I'm out.

Back