What's the best brush for mineral makeup?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What's the best brush you've used for powder mineral makeup? I can't seem to find a blend between coverage and cakey-ness. Has anyone found a good one and if so what do you use it with?

I have different brushes, but prefer the flattop from Signature Minerals. It's synthetic and denser than the EDM flattop.
smile.gif

Makeup Forever's HD kabuki brush, dense, super soft, it's a real pleasure to buff my mineral foundation with it. I use it with my foundation from Lily Lolo.

I have a few kabuki brushes (different brands, different kinds of hair) but I have found that my favorite is the "itty bitty squirrel" flat top kabuki I bought from a eBay seller a few years back. Yes, it's very small but it has just the right firmness and it's oh so soft!
smile.gif

anyone using lauress kabuki? I am keen on trying it...

Other than that, EDM flat top has been great for me!

I use either a flat top buffer or a kabuki, both work wonderfully for both loose and pressed minerals.

Originally Posted by white_poplar /img/forum/go_quote.gif anyone using lauress kabuki? I am keen on trying it... I have it and like it quite a bit, but I tend to reach for my other brushes more often (one of my posh kabukis, or my brown faux jumbo buffer brush). I'm happy to have it in the rotation, though!

I use the Everyday Minerals Flat Top brush for foundation and LOVE it! It's super soft and applies my MMU flawlessly. You can get heavier coverage with it easily, but it also works very well for the light coverage I prefer... I just use less on the brush.

The EDM Long Handled Kabuki is wonderful for finishing powders because it's not as dense. It's the same type of amazingly soft synthetic brush as the Flat Top. Some people like the LHK better than the Flat Top for foundation application because it's not as dense. Some feel it's easier to sweep on a lighter application with the LHK.

Originally Posted by mk12 /img/forum/go_quote.gif I use the Everyday Minerals Flat Top brush for foundation and LOVE it! It's super soft and applies my MMU flawlessly. You can get heavier coverage with it easily, but it also works very well for the light coverage I prefer... I just use less on the brush.
The EDM Long Handled Kabuki is wonderful for finishing powders because it's not as dense. It's the same type of amazingly soft synthetic brush as the Flat Top. Some people like the LHK better than the Flat Top for foundation application because it's not as dense. Some feel it's easier to sweep on a lighter application with the LHK.

exactly what i use
smile.gif

I keep meaning to try the flat-top from Everyday Minerals but every time I do an order they're always sold out. What I currently use is the Lumiere buki (which I love but cannot repurchase because the new insurance clause on their brushes makes it somewhat unaffordable for me) and the Everyday Minerals LHK for finishing powders and primers, or for foundations if I'm using a heavy coverage foundation or having a natural look day.

In my experience flat tops give better coverage than rounded kabukis. My favorite so far is the Stila one. Really pricey but you can get it at a discount on eBay.

Ocean Mists has a very small kabuki brush (enough so you can swirl it in a sample jar), it's great to test your foundation, but i also use it to apply blush on my apples.

Originally Posted by mk12 /img/forum/go_quote.gif I use the Everyday Minerals Flat Top brush for foundation and LOVE it!
The EDM Long Handled Kabuki is wonderful for finishing powders because it's not as dense.

I use those two as well. EDM's Flat Top for foundation, and the their regular LHK for primer and finishing dusts.

I love my Lumiere flat top for foundation as I prefer a heavier coverage and like to buff my foundation in. For finishing powder I use the long handled kabuki, also from Lumiere.

As i do not use MMU foundation with bismut, i do not need to buff it a lot. I just fluff the foundation on with a synthetic powder brush, and after that i use the lovely synthetic Flat top from EDM to lightly sweep it into my skin.

So what brush you use depends of what makeup you use, but remember to treat your skin gently!

Latest posts

Back