Questions..first time with MAC

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I got some foundation, powder, primer, and piggys.

The girl put the foundation on with one of the fancy MAC brushes. Can I just use my fingers, or will it look crappy? She also used one of those wedges to put the primer on..again, can I use my fingers?

For the mineralize skinfinish powder to set it, can I just use my EDM brushes?

I haven't used liquid in like years and years and years....am I supposed to put the foundation on my eyelids, or no?

Eventually I'd like the MAC brushes, but with 5 kids to buy gifts for, I'm going to have to wait, so I'm hoping my brushes will work ok.

Sure, you can use your fingers to put on your foundation. I still do sometimes when I use liquid foundation. But, CVS also sells Essence of Beauty brushes which aren't bad quality and they're cheap. Same with Sonia Kashuk from Target. Basically, you can use whatever works. If you really want some MAC brushes, you can try the holiday sets which are smaller and not AS great of quality, but still MAC and still good. hth

I read online that some Nordstrom's have marked those holiday brush sets down to $25.

I don't think you have to use MAC brushes with MAC makeup. I have a skunk brush from Ulta(store brand) that gives me a nice finish with my liquid makeup. I haven't used a 187 to compare it to though.

Oh...and yes, I do put foundation on my eyelids. Just to even out the redness. I also like Lemon Aid from Benefit!

I like to use foundation brushes just because they blend so much better and uses way less product.. I use a foundation brush from A Design Brushes.

Fataliya, Internetchick is right, if you don't mind travel size brushes, you can try MAC's SE holiday brush sets, which are 25% off at MAC and Nordstrom. In my opinon, the quality of the travel size sets have gone down.

These brush sets are not handmade, not as great as their regular full-sized counterparts.

However Nordstrom has an exclusive full-sized set (MAC hasn't released any full-sized sets in many years, despite all those fake full size sets on ebay). It has 4 really great brushes, 187, 168, 263, 222. One that's great for foundation, one for blush, one for blending eyeshadow (not for packing it on), and one for using on brows (though some like it for liner, I find it too thick)

$93

M·A·C 'Perfect Style' Brush Set - - Nordstrom

But definitely don't feel like you need to stick to MAC brushes to get good results!

When you apply foundation with your fingers, you may end up with heavier coverage than you want. Play around and see how it looks. There are no rules. I use a brush because I don't want the foundation to go on too thick. The MAC 187 is my favourite for this, but you can get similar brushed cheaper from other brands.

I always use my fingers for primer.. I think most people do.. when you have your makeup done by someone else, they use applicators for sanitary reasons.

I put foundation and powder on my eyelids. I have dark lids, so it helps with that, and also helps to keep my e/s on all day.

Back