Titanium dioxide and cancer - question

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never heard of Ti02 causimg cancer..and I work in the mining idustry.. Its my opinion that almost everything will cause cancer if your exposed to it too much.. In this case you'd have to live in it and eat and breath it.. TiO2 is in everything, including all sun blockers, toothpastes.... But in very minute quantities.. From what I read elsewhere its from breathing the TiO2 dust and not from topical applications.. And as the Material Safety Data Sheet says... Its the level of exposure..

Quote:
WARNING! MAY CAUSE IRRITATION TO SKIN, EYES, AND RESPIRATORY TRACT. MAY AFFECT LUNGS. SUSPECT CANCER HAZARD. CONTAINS TITANIUM DIOXIDE WHICH MAY CAUSE CANCER. Risk of cancer depends on level and duration of exposure. In my humble opinion I wouldn't have a problem using any product with titanium dioxide in it. The only precaution I'd take is if your using a powder with TiO2 in it, do it in a well ventilated area and don't breath it in..

when inhaled all dust causes cancer: from baby powder to flour

MMU manufacturers are at risk because they breathe the stuff in all day long every day - masks should definitely be worn at all times.

in dental offices we spray a fine mist of powder directly into the mouth.....with a damn on....but it definitely gets inhaled!

yup, but it's not something you do every day
biggrin.gif
and the doctor wears a mask

Back