Mascara colors/brands for the mature woman?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I suspect there's not many out there like me?!

I am over 50 and would like a suggestion on mascara. I have medium blonde hair and a light complexion.

Also I wear contact lenses and have to be careful of mascaras that may run or flake.

What colors to use? Any brands that are good and won't cost an arm and a leg?

Brown mascara sounds good for you.
smile.gif
It's not as harsh as Black mascara and will fit with your hair color more.

Covergirl, Maybelline, L'oreal, and Max Factor sell fantastic mascaras for a cheap price. Maybelline's mascara is a little more watery, so I would be careful about that, and L'oreal's mascara is more dry.
smile.gif
I really reccommend Max Factor's Lash Perfection Volume Couture, it's just great, I love it.
smile.gif
Not sure how it flakes though, seeing as I wear primer underneath it. It comes in a good range of colors too.
smile.gif

If you're worried about flakes, try L'oreal's Double Extend Beauty Tubes, my ultimate favorite mascara. It's "waterproof" so it doesn't flake or smudge, but it comes off easily with warm (and I mean pretty warm) water, so no scrubbing with makeup remover and all that. Be careful if you apply it though, it can get messy and put it on fast.
smile.gif
The bad thing is that I don't think they come in a brown color, so it might look harsh since that mascara really gives you a false-eyelash effect.

Covergirl's best mascara IMO is Volume Exact . . . but I'm not sure how bad it flakes or not.
smile.gif
Covergirl's mascaras are good though, so I'd give it a shot. Lash Blast was good too, and I know that has a brown, but it flaked on me. You could always get waterproof on that, but it is KILLER to get off.

Maybelline has this new mascara called Lash Stilletto, and I liked it. Gorgeous lengthening and seperation, and didn't smudge or flake all day. I don't think it comes in a real brown though. :/

All I know is stay away from their Sky High Curves, that thing smudged and flaked like no tomorrow. :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Hope this helps! Good luck
smile.gif

I agree, brown sounds like it would be best given what you said.

Also, waterproof is probably a good bet for you since it'll be less likely to come off in your contacts.

i find the max factor masterpiece mascara ranges flake like anything, but they're very very good apart from that.

i would second the beauty tubes, it's a great mascara for staying put!

You might even like to try the new L'oreal Double Extended Beauty Tubing mascara... definately will not flake like reqular mascara.... don't know if it comes in brown though....

Dark brown. stay away from most drugstore brands. LANCOME mascaras are nice and don't 'flake'

unfortunately the good mascaras are going to be more expensive. you could always try something waterproof

Back