Need help finding an HG acne cleanser/treatment

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been battling with my oily, acne-prone skin for what seems like ages. I've been bouncing from one product to the next (don't worry, I use up the entire tube before giving up on the product), but I have yet to find any product that keeps my acne to a minimum and reduces my skin's excessive oil production.

Can anyone recommend any facial cleansers, facial masks, acne treatments, etc that will help me with either my acne or my excessive oil? I'd prefer products that can be bought a local drugstores since it's really convenient, but I am willing to do almost anything for clear, beautiful skin. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

Have you tried going to a doctor?

I've met the acne problem about 17 and suffered for about 2 years. Then I went to a doctor, the first prescription was doing okay but I started breaking out again. Then the doctor gave me a little less light prescription and thank God my acne is under control. It hasn't fully healed yet, but hopefully it will. I used antibiotics for the first 2 weeks of the treatment btw. The right antibiotics surely help with acne.

Oh and, doctor told me to use a soap to clean my face before applying my medication. That made me leave my 3 steps care(which was actually 2 steps because the moisturiser gave me break outs every time I used it). I bought a soap called "Imex"(It says it helps with acne treatment on it) from the pharmacist/drug store for about 10$ and it did a much better job than any cosmetic cleanser I've ever used at controlling the oil on my face.

So, the bottom line is, I wouldn't recommend and trust cosmetics for acne, even though I am a cosmetic junkie myself.

My absolute HG cleanser is aleppo soap, but i don't know if it's easy to find in the U.S. I buy mine in a healthfood store.

If you haven't done it yet, get a doctor's opinion, maybe consult a derm.

The one line of products that seemed to work for me was Visibly Clear from Neutrogena, especially the 2 in 1 cleanser but even that after a while, wasn't as effective for my skin.

Originally Posted by Framboise /img/forum/go_quote.gif Have you tried going to a doctor?
I've met the acne problem about 17 and suffered for about 2 years. Then I went to a doctor, the first prescription was doing okay but I started breaking out again. Then the doctor gave me a little less light prescription and thank God my acne is under control. It hasn't fully healed yet, but hopefully it will. I used antibiotics for the first 2 weeks of the treatment btw. The right antibiotics surely help with acne.

Oh and, doctor told me to use a soap to clean my face before applying my medication. That made me leave my 3 steps care(which was actually 2 steps because the moisturiser gave me break outs every time I used it). I bought a soap called "Imex"(It says it helps with acne treatment on it) from the pharmacist/drug store for about 10$ and it did a much better job than any cosmetic cleanser I've ever used at controlling the oil on my face.

So, the bottom line is, I wouldn't recommend and trust cosmetics for acne, even though I am a cosmetic junkie myself.

Originally Posted by magosienne /img/forum/go_quote.gif My absolute HG cleanser is aleppo soap, but i don't know if it's easy to find in the U.S. I buy mine in a healthfood store.If you haven't done it yet, get a doctor's opinion, maybe consult a derm.

The one line of products that seemed to work for me was Visibly Clear from Neutrogena, especially the 2 in 1 cleanser but even that after a while, wasn't as effective for my skin.

Thanks for the responses. I've been wanting to go to a dermatologist for ages (I think I started bugging my mother to take me to a derm when I was in the 8th grade), but unfortunately, my health insurance doesn't cover derm visit and I lack the money for derm visits, prescriptions, etc. I don't think my college health center has a dermatologist either. =/
I've been thinking about switching to a soap-form cleanser just to try something different. I'll see if I can find Imex and Aleppo where I live. Thanks again.

Originally Posted by katnahat /img/forum/go_quote.gif OCM. IMO, I don't think anything works better. thanks for the response. I've read about OCM but I am lost as to what oils to use. what oils would you recommend for oily, acne-prone skin?

What about proactive? I used it and it worked wonders and same with my boyfriend. I have heard a few people say it didnt work for them but with me, i started seeing results within a few days!! Let us know what you decide on!!! Always good to know!! I no longer have too bad of issues with acne so i stopped using proactive however i still do get pretty oily!!! Good luck on finding your product!!!

Originally Posted by Jennyjean /img/forum/go_quote.gif What about proactive? I used it and it worked wonders and same with my boyfriend. I have heard a few people say it didnt work for them but with me, i started seeing results within a few days!! Let us know what you decide on!!! Always good to know!! I no longer have too bad of issues with acne so i stopped using proactive however i still do get pretty oily!!! Good luck on finding your product!!! I have used Proactiv about two years ago. It was before their 30-day trail kit came out, so I had a full 2 month kit. I used it but it didn't do much for me. My boyfriend is convinced that it's a miracle worker though (too bad he can't afford to keep using it though). My best friend uses it too. I would give it another try but I think I've become allergic to Benzoyl Peroxide.
I'll definitely let you know what I find that can tone down oily skin.

I've dealt with the problem since about 16-17 and I'm 29 now. I've gone to doctors, taken anti-biotics, topical solutions, steroid injections, Proactiv, blah, blah, blah - you name it. Anyway I started going to an esthetician and getting chem peels and she recommended Glytone which works for me, but since I moved from Vegas back to Cali, its harder to come by and I don't want to have to pay for shipping, etc. So I started researching other products and Clinique Acne Solutions kept coming up. The reviews were really good from people have similar stories to mine so I went and picked it up yesterday. It's too soon to tell but try to research it. A lot of people had really good things to say about the line.

It's too bad you cannot see a derm. Maybe talk about it with your generalsit and see what he/she can give you.

i don't know if u wanna try this...but it works for me...due to my really painful crampings during my period my dr. prescribed "the pill" and i don't really have much of a break out problem..but get very annoyed but the 2-4 i get once in a while....anywayz..it was working i ended up with A pimple here and there..but then i stopped using it..and had a lot more then my usual amount...which was really bad cuz i got a problem of sitting there and picking the shit outta them..lol....

well..then i cut a lemon (yes lemon) in half..squished the juice outta on half and put it all over my face...it burned like shit where the pimples were..left it on for about 10-15 minutes (the burning goes away after a while)...then washed it of with water...i do that about 2-3 times a week..and barely ever break out anymore...and my skin has a glow to it now...before i need to use sum moisturizer cuz it's like -20 here and it get dry cheeks..but those are gone too now...i dunno try it ..if it doesn't work..wat's to lose? a $1.00 worth of lemon that's all..lol

but if u wanna try something 'medical' then the birth control pill worked for sum of my friends..and me but i stopped taking it..so i got more..
frown.gif

I too have been battling oily, acne prone skin probably since I was 10 or 11 years old. Today, my skin is just about perfect, thanks to Clean and Clear shine control cleanser, scrub, and moisturizer (the green line). My HG!!!

Originally Posted by ashbee /img/forum/go_quote.gif i don't know if u wanna try this...but it works for me...due to my really painful crampings during my period my dr. prescribed "the pill" and i don't really have much of a break out problem..but get very annoyed but the 2-4 i get once in a while....anywayz..it was working i ended up with A pimple here and there..but then i stopped using it..and had a lot more then my usual amount...which was really bad cuz i got a problem of sitting there and picking the shit outta them..lol....well..then i cut a lemon (yes lemon) in half..squished the juice outta on half and put it all over my face...it burned like shit where the pimples were..left it on for about 10-15 minutes (the burning goes away after a while)...then washed it of with water...i do that about 2-3 times a week..and barely ever break out anymore...and my skin has a glow to it now...before i need to use sum moisturizer cuz it's like -20 here and it get dry cheeks..but those are gone too now...i dunno try it ..if it doesn't work..wat's to lose? a $1.00 worth of lemon that's all..lol

but if u wanna try something 'medical' then the birth control pill worked for sum of my friends..and me but i stopped taking it..so i got more..
frown.gif

thanks for the response ashbee. wow, lemon.. hmmm, i might try that. clear skin is total worth a bit of stinging.
i'm actually on "the pill" right now but i don't think it's done anything for my acne. =( maybe i'm just not as lucky as other women who are on the pill and experienced amazing results.

Originally Posted by makeup_obsessed /img/forum/go_quote.gif I too have been battling oily, acne prone skin probably since I was 10 or 11 years old. Today, my skin is just about perfect, thanks to Clean and Clear shine control cleanser, scrub, and moisturizer (the green line). My HG!!! oddly enough, i haven't given the clean and clear shine control line a try. i tried the original morning burst cleanser but i had zero results. i think that prevented me from trying the morning burst shine control cleanser. i'll consider giving it a try after i'm done with my current cleanser. thanks for responding.

Have you heard of the brand La Roche-Posay? My brother has moderate acne and has tried several products but none worked as well as this. Its made a huge difference to his face. His face cleared up in just two weeks. Maybe its something you might want to try, I don't know if I can include a link of the website here so I won't, but you can google it and it should bring you right to the webpage. Good luck with finding a suitable facial routine!

Quote:
thanks for the response. I've read about OCM but I am lost as to what oils to use. what oils would you recommend for oily, acne-prone skin? I use Aubrey Nicole Balancing Oil Cleanser. It is very good. I use alot of their products and I would totally recommend the oil cleanser.
Since starting OCM my skin is not as oily and my acne is not as bad.

Aubrey Nicole Mineral Makeup and Skin Care :: BODY & FACIAL OILS :: NEW CLEANSING OILS NEW

They are having a 25% off or free shipping sale too!

Originally Posted by Aniger86 /img/forum/go_quote.gif Have you heard of the brand La Roche-Posay? My brother has moderate acne and has tried several products but none worked as well as this. Its made a huge difference to his face. His face cleared up in just two weeks. Maybe its something you might want to try, I don't know if I can include a link of the website here so I won't, but you can google it and it should bring you right to the webpage. Good luck with finding a suitable facial routine! I tried their moisturizer for oily skins. It works for moderate acne, i'm not sure it would if you had a particularly severe acne.

I am really a fan of the Dove Gentle Exfoliating Daily Facial Cleanser. I have been using this stuff for some weeks now and my skin got better and more even toned. Also almost no more blocked pores. I love it!!

My skin is oily and acne prone.

Also I think the best thing is the pill. Because it's the hormones that cause acne and oily skin.

Originally Posted by tonkabeane /img/forum/go_quote.gif oddly enough, i haven't given the clean and clear shine control line a try. i tried the original morning burst cleanser but i had zero results. i think that prevented me from trying the morning burst shine control cleanser. i'll consider giving it a try after i'm done with my current cleanser. thanks for responding. I too tried the normal morning burst line, and although i liked it, it didnt improve my skin. I figured I would give this one a try cause i had nothing to lose except acne lol. I too am on the pill aswell, and it didnt help my acne, but that wasnt the only reason why i went on it. My skin has never been better. Numerous times since switching to this line have i gotton compliments on my "nice, poreclin" skin. Never have heard that before.

Good luck, and dont worry, it will get better!!! Just dont stress out about it, cause if you stress about it, it will only make it worse (go figure)

Latest posts

Back