Sea Monkeys, The Comics Lied!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I remember being endlessly fascinated by the back covers of my comic books when I was younger, there were these miraculous creatures called Sea Monkeys. They apparently miraculously appeared when you added some funny nutrient mixture to water. The image showed little amphibian-primates in a Disney style family unit replete with mandatory castle and happily oogling humans.

seamonkey_thumb.jpg

Sadly the truth was very far from the marketing as is often the case in life. A sea monkey is actually a brine shrimp (Artemia salina for the biologists among you). This is what a brine shrimp looks like - nothing like the ad is it?

algaduart_thumb5.jpg

Source

Sea Monkeys, The Comics Lied! The Thought Menagerie

Yeah.. I wanted some way back then and my cousin got some and it was just some stupid spidery dots in the water.

I think in the package they told you they are brine shrimp because my mom and aunt said that's what they were and all us little girls were sitting staring in disappointment at them, lol!

We expected cool beings with bows in their "hair" and thought they would do stuff!

I actually used to think they were supercute. I never really understood why they were called sea monkeys though. They looked nothing like monkeys

LOL how disappointing, reminds me of those X-Ray glasses that let you see through everything

I always wanted a pair of those x-ray glasses!! Lol. And you want to know now many packets of seeds I sold door to door? Lots!! Think I got a cheap fishing rod!! We had sea monkeys too.. Probably be tastey with cocktail sause if they weren't so small!!
biggrin.gif

Karren, you can apparently cook them and use them like a spread. Totally gross, but you could if you wanted.

lol! i'm glad i never bought those then! my friend ordered those x-ray glasses and we were all so excited for them to come in. when they finally came, they were these chintzy plastic glasses with weird lenses that didn't even work. the lenses were just this weird prismatic thing that made everything look all crazy.

oh the sound of shattered kid dreams as we all laughed at him for being ripped off. still, it made a neat effect and totally dangerous to wear while riding our bikes.

Quote:
So Eager they even can be trained it says on the package damn I wonder if anyone tried to sue them for this

I used to have some of these. And I think I remember the packaging talking about how they could do tricks, one of them was riding on top of each other, like riding a horse. But in reality it was just the sea monkeys getting it on.

Another trick was playing with miniature beach balls that you had to mail order. But I think the monkeys just thought they were food and once they realized it was plastic, they would push them away.

Eww!
lol.gif

Originally Posted by pinksugar /img/forum/go_quote.gif Karren, you can apparently cook them and use them like a spread. Totally gross, but you could if you wanted.

I remember getting some sea monkeys from the easter show one year, mine got really big!

Originally Posted by pla4u /img/forum/go_quote.gif well at least they did somthing....remember PET ROCKS!? I remember that. I never did have a pet rock but I remeber. That..
What about mood rings. All you have to do is look at the color to tell what mood someone is in right.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by pla4u /img/forum/go_quote.gif well at least they did somthing....remember pet rocks!? hahaha!
biggrin.gif

Yes, I remember the Sea Monkeys - fondly. I also remember the Bust Cream - I wanted that - but as it turned out, I didn't need it! LOL

OMG... boob cream... THAT was what I wanted too!

I knew about the sea monkeys, as my neighbors had them... I still thought they were awesome

Back