Picking the right shade of lipstick...

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
An article I saw gave a tip for choosing the right shade of lipstick. It says:

For goof proof lipstick, the pro solution is to test it on your pinkie before you buy it.

To sample shades without actually putting the tester to your mouth, turn your fingertips toward the floor so blood rushes to the tips, then swipe the lip shade over the inside tip of your pinkie. If it's the same shade, only brighter or somewhat deeper, you've found a match. Anything lighter than your pinkie will wash out your complexion.

Have you ever heard of this trick before?

I did this with my favorite lip stick, and it turned out lighter.... I am guessing that trick does not work, or I just don't know how to pick out the right ones. lol

my blood doesnt seem to rush to my tips of my fingers, unless i point them down for several hours i'm sure. lol. BUT, for me, as my personal taste, i pick up ANY lip color that i think is gorgeous and it'll work on anybody. you just have to find the right kind of eye shadow and blush to pair it with and you're set. anybody can wear anything if you have confidence to =]

[nice avatar, you look gorgeous !]

I'm not sure this would work with my fingers. I also tend to pick colors i like, i find if i don't like it too much i can still change the color by pairing the lipstick with another, or a colored lipgloss.

lol! ive had my hand dangling down trying to get blood to rush to my pinkie but its just not working!

i usually just test it on the back of my hand to see what the colour really looks like and what the texture is like. if i like it, i buy it! if it doesnt suit me as lipstick i either recycle it as blush or pass it on to one of my friends.

i read somewhere forgot where but i keep notes in my phone so i wont forget. The most flattering lip tones will be 1 or 2 shades darker than ur natural lip color.

Back