What do you guys think?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I want to get the coastal scents 88 ultra shimmer palette and i found one for a pretty cheap price on ebay, but the problem is that it isn't listed as a Coastal Scents brand palette. I messaged the seller and he said

"It is the same as coastal scents, but we don't type any brand name on it." so do you guys think it's the real deal or just a fake crappy palette? I was wondering if any of you have bought the 88 ultra shimmer palette on ebay and if it was fine or a fake.

New 88 Piece Eye Shadow Eyeshadow Shimmer Shiny Palette - eBay (item 250350791116 end time Jan-08-09 07:16:05 PST)

that seller also has the 28 neutral palette that i was very tempted to buy but I can't be sure if it is either because another seller had something that looked EXACTLY the same, but they claimed that it was not the coastal scents palette. =/

I would be reluctant, as there are so many fake or copied items for sale these days. I’m even getting more paranoid after seeing all of the tainted items that seem to be coming out of China; so I’m sticking with name brands, from reputable dealers and hopefully I won’t have problems with them. There are a lot of good buys on Ebay, and these may or may not be one of them.

Originally Posted by danaryan /img/forum/go_quote.gif I would be reluctant, as there are so many fake or copied items for sale these days. I’m even getting more paranoid after seeing all of the tainted items that seem to be coming out of China; so I’m sticking with name brands, from reputable dealers and hopefully I won’t have problems with them. There are a lot of good buys on Ebay, and these may or may not be one of them. I agree!!!

+1 on that. May just want to stick to clothes and kitsch from ebay, not something that can actually do potential harm.

The Coastal Scents 88 Palette really isn't priced that bad enough for me to find a cheaper source elsewhere when everyone has been so pleased with it...

I think its worth it to just buy the CS palette.

On the other hand, that palette isn't specific to CS, they just distribute it.

and in a blow up side by side picture, they have EXACTLY the same colors in the exact same areas and the ingredients are exactly the same.

But you will be getting this from China going standard mail! At least CS has it in stock already in the US, so you can be sure it will get to you in at least 5 days.

Umm, I think CS is just looking to profit by acting as if they are legitimate brand when in reality they buy these cheap makeup sets from the same source as the ebay sellers and sell them at more expensive prices, the source being a small time factory in China. We're not talking about MAC here, no one is going to duplicate CS in order to benefit from their "popularity" (which doesn't exist).

The palettes are exactly the same! The palettes are mass produced and then sold to individual companies (such as CS and eBay sellers) to resell. I purchased my 88 from eBay long before the CS craze, swatched it against a friends' CS palette and they're exactly the same. The shipping does take a little longer but the eBay palettes are constantly in stock (versus CS's two month waiting period) and they're less expensive.

hey guys, based on what you guys said I decided to get it from ebay. The seller said that they get the palette from the same supplier. I saved 8 bucks which isn't much but still every bit counts, plus they are still out of stock on the coastal scents website. I'll let you guys know if the palette is as good as the reviews say it is once I get the palette.

Good luck
smile.gif

Personally I would never buy makeup from China. Too risky for my health and safety.

gosh if i had known these palettes were made in China i wouldn't have bought

hate everything "Made in China", they're experts in making fake cosmetics, fake perfumes, fake clothes .... everything, you must be careful when purchasing on ebay, they can make fake poducts that look exactly the same as original ones

more than that they always put harmful chemicals in those things

i don't wanna be offensive to Chinese, just talking about many manufacturers there, believe me i'm their "neighbour" so i know, in my country we can find chinese made products everywhere and most of them have poor quality which i always stay away from

i bought my two 88 palettes (normal and shimmer) from ebay cus they were sold out on coastal scents and i didnt know when they would re-stock and they were pretty good

i have both the shimmer and the matte, and I got them from coastal scents and I think its a hell of a bargain and I wouldn't risk buying it from ebay. Esp when you don't know if its real or fake.

Just buy it from CS its worth the money and its cheap as heck already! lol

I agree with what the previous posters said that I'd be wary of these ebay sellers. I remember a blogger saying a while ago that she bought a palette like that on ebay which looked exactly like the CS one but when it arrived she discovered that it was horrible, the e/s weren't pigmented so she ended up throwing it in the trash
frown.gif

Anyway, yours maybe different (and it does indeed look identical to the CS palette) so good luck!!

hey everyone, i finally got my palette, and I LOVE it. most of the colors are very pigmented. A few of the colors wont "stick" on to the brushes that I use (all MAC) but it's okay since i have several other colors to chose from. Thanks for your help everyone, Im glad I got it from ebay.
smile.gif

I have to agree with NightVamp that these palettes are all the same! They purchase them from places like alibaba.com in bulk and re-sell them using their name giving the illusion of brand recognition.

lol. Everyone's afraid it might be from china, but, yeah, CS's palette and the palettes on ebay are all the same. So if ebay palettes are from China then I suppose CS's is too. CS is basically a reseller.

Latest posts

Back