Plastic surgery?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
sorry if this thread has been done before, i searched but couldn't find it. plastic surgery is something me and my friends aaalways talk about!!

what are your opinions on plastic surgery? would you ever have it? have you ever had it? why/why not?

to answer my own questions... i can't stand the idea of someone slicing me up for purely cosmetic reasons.. i genuinely don't want to change anything about my body, even my small boobs! lol! i do hate the way i look sometimes but i think everyone has those days. i'd much prefer to change myself through exercise and work for the body and look that i want! besides people come in all sorts of shapes and sizes.

i feel like getting surgery for stuff like cellulite and things is a bit like cheating because not everyone can afford it, and it gives people a slightly unrealistic idea of what women should look like. i think unless you have something thats giving you a serious health problem (like really big boobs) it's a waste of time.

what does everyone else think?

I use to hate the idea of plastic surgery, but I've learned that there are some realistic reasons behind it. I'd have my nose fixed if I surgery. I absolutely hate my nose, some days I am alright with it, others... not so much. I agree with surgery only and only if it has a good reason behind it. My mum actually wants me to be a cosmetic surgeon lol
smile.gif

Well, there are some things that plastic surgery can "fix" that exercise can't. lol.

Honestly, I wouldn't get plastic surgery just because I'd be too scared. But there are a whole bunch of things about me that I'd like to "fix"! lol!

Well im ok with it for others lol.

2 of my aunts, my mother, my cousin and my grandma have all had at least one procedure done.

I may not be in love with or even ok with how i look anymore but I don't think just plastic surgery will fix me and my heart saddens a bit when I see how some people push it too too far with some operations. ie- that cat woman looking thing and those lip injections people get...it all looks so fake.

re-constructive or anything within that catorgory of plastic surgery is different, thats a need and deffinately grateful that we have surgeons who can work miracles.

I think well done plastic surgery is perfectly fine. I don't have a problem with it, although, like most of you, I wouldn't get it myself for a few reasons -

1. I'd be too scared

2. I don't like how it ages - like look at michael jackson, he's falling apart!

3. like you girls said, if it's something that can't be changed with exercise, then I'm all for it, but there are those people who are just so rich, that they will get lipo, but not change any of their eating habits, which I think is just really wrong.

I guess basically, I don't like it as a shortcut instead of really looking after yourself, and I don't like it in the sense that I worry about what we'll find out in the future about it - how it damages your body or things like that.

But, for people who are really badly injured or scarred or have some feature that really upsets them, and if surgery would help them live a normal life (like the people on x-treme makeover) then I'm all for it!

(phew that was long and rambling)

I have had two plastic surgeries - breast reduction and dermabrasion (not the 1/2 hour spa - the real deal)

When I was young, I thought I'd never have any work done.

But pregnancy and breastfeeding can be hell on a woman's body.

As well, my acne scars just got worse - absolutely no makeup was going to help me.

If I get the opportunity - I'm definately getting a tummy tuck.

I have to add that these kind of threads always have an underlying feeling of resentment.

I am alway curious why someone passes judgement on another, when they have had "work" done?

Originally Posted by Dragonfly /img/forum/go_quote.gif I have had two plastic surgeries - breast reduction and dermabrasion (not the 1/2 hour spa - the real deal)

As well, my acne scars just got worse - absolutely no makeup was going to help me.

I have to add that these kind of threads always have an underlying feeling of resentment.

I am alway curious why someone passes judgement on another, when they have had "work" done?

People judge a lot, that's one reason my mum hasn't told anyone she's had a job done. Like you said, pregnancy changes your body and she was just rewinding the clock a few years. What's wrong with looking like you did before having kids?

if i could afford it i think i might consider plastic surgery on my nose.

Originally Posted by Ozee /img/forum/go_quote.gif Well im ok with it for others lol.
2 of my aunts, my mother, my cousin and my grandma have all had at least one procedure done.

I may not be in love with or even ok with how i look anymore but I don't think just plastic surgery will fix me and my heart saddens a bit when I see how some people push it too too far with some operations. ie- that cat woman looking thing and those lip injections people get...it all looks so fake.

re-constructive or anything within that catorgory of plastic surgery is different, thats a need and deffinately grateful that we have surgeons who can work miracles.

that cat woman thing is awful! some people can take it too far.

Originally Posted by Dragonfly /img/forum/go_quote.gif I have had two plastic surgeries - breast reduction and dermabrasion (not the 1/2 hour spa - the real deal)

i have no resentment for people who have had or want to have surgery, its your choice and if it makes you feel good then who am i to tell you not to do it? just don't turn yourself into a cat woman!
i can't honestly say that if i had children i would hold the same opinion of surgery that i do now, pregnancy can change your body a lot and i think celebrities and stuff really don't help the illusion that you can just pop back into shape afterwards.

i agree with rosie that it shouldn't be used as a shortcut for a healthy lifestyle though.

I'd get my nose fixed. It's crooked and I think it's been broken. I remember once when I was like 10-12, my sister punched me in the nose and made it bleed. I think that ***** broke it. *grrrr*

I'd get breast implants, just cuz I want my boobs back that I had before I gave birth to 5 kids.

I'd get my eyelids done, because I think I have those fat droopy puppy dog eyelids.

And I'd get a tummy tuck. Again, due to the 5 kids. I only weigh 130 lbs, but I'm used to weighing about 110.

Other than that, I'm fine the way I am. Ha!! =P

I hate plastic surgery as a shortcut. That said i have nothing against it if nothing else has worked. I think it's too extreme to be used another way, not to mention the price it can cost and the fact i'd probably be too scared to do anything anyway.

My mom got some lipo done, after two kids and several diets with little to no results, she needed it. It has allowed her to loose a pants size or two.

The two things i am considering in the future are breast reduction (once i'm done loosing my extra weight, i'm not entirely decided) and eye fix, i'm sick of being myopic. The rest is mine from birth and i intend to keep it that way, lol.

I don't see anything wrong with plastic surgery, I do think that a lot of people over do it though. If there is something that bothers you about yourself and there's a way to fix it then why not go for it? As long as your doing if for yourself and not for anyone else.

I am getting breast augmentation sometime this year, I was supposed to be getting it done at the end of this month but I can't afford it right now. My sister is getting it done though (we were doing it together). My mom also has had it done and I personally like the look of fake breasts better then real ones BUT not huge ones lol

I'm not sure if I'd get anything else done but you never know the older you get! haha

Personally I wouldn't get plastic surgery. Mainly because I don't like hospitals and wouldn't want to be in one through choice.

I don't have anything against people who do it, if that's what you want then I have no right to tell you it's wrong and I wouldn't ever argue that people shouldn't have the right to do what they want to their body if it makes them feel better about themselves.

But, I am a bit of a hippie when it comes to things like this. Yeah, I'm flat chested, yeah I have a bit of a beaky nose and a wonky jaw but what right do TV and magazines have to tell me that I don't look right and I have to change to fit what they want me to be?

If someone wants surgery for themselves and for no other reason then that's fine. I just don't think people should start slicing themselves open to achieve this perfect magazine cover celebrity body that doesn't exist and let's face it that's what a lot of girls are growing up wanting to be.

I'm not entirely happy with the way I look but I'm okay with that, who is totally happy? I'm happy enough with the way I am that it's not something that bothers me everyday but I understand that for some people the way they look is a real problem and if plastic surgery will make you make you happy with yourself then go for it!

I just think if people are going to do it they should do it for themselves and not to fit in with how they think they're supposed to look.

Sorry for the looong rant lol

I´m pro plastic surgery, there are a lot of things that exercise and healthy eating won´t fix. And as someone who is very critical with their own body and looks I can understand how people might dislike certain bodyparts to an extent of hating themselves. One way to change that is therapy I guess, and plastic surgery as a last resort. And if I´m not in someone else´s shoes who am I to say a procedure is justified or not.

I like my body as it is now, and I actually want to put away money for a possible boob job before I decide to get pregnant. If I´m one of the unlucky ones to get a huge amount of stretchmarks or if my boobs are terribly saggy or if they just disappear or something along those lines...then I will get plastic surgery. I couldn´t deal with going from having a good body to avoiding to see myself naked. I´m just not a strong enough person to handle that

Oh, and I will definitely get Botox whenever it´s "necessary", and a facelift later on. Not in my 30s or so lol, I would be reasonable about it. And I would definitely not lie about having had surgery! If someone asks I would happily tell them

Yeah!! I'd like to take some of the fat around my waist and move it down and to the rear! Lol

And I'm still waiting for the home breast implant kit!
biggrin.gif

I would maybe and maaaaybe consider it getting it done on my boobs, but that is about it, even though i have stretchmarks here and there, i dont like a lot of things about myself but i don't want to be all fake, that wouldn't feel right to me at all. I believe in aging gracefully and eating the right things to keep yourself looking young, and healthy, same as exercising since exercise slows down the aging process, taking vitamin supplements and not drinking or smoking at all.

I understand how some people need plastic surgery but not out of vanity, and that is when i say it is ok to do it, for other reasons, i would say it is your decision to do it if you want fake boobs or fake this or that, i respect what people want to do to themselves when it comes to plastic surgery but i can't say that i like the look of "fakeness". *shrugs*

I would maybe and maaaaybe consider it getting it done on my boobs, but that is about it, even though i have stretchmarks here and there, i dont like a lot of things about myself but i don't want to be all fake, that wouldn't feel right to me at all. I believe in aging gracefully and eating the right things to keep yourself looking young, and healthy, same as exercising since exercise slows down the aging process, taking vitamin supplements and not drinking or smoking at all.

I understand how some people need plastic surgery but not out of vanity, and that is when i say it is ok to do it, for other reasons, i would say it is your decision to do it if you want fake boobs or fake this or that, i respect what people want to do to themselves when it comes to plastic surgery but i can't say that i like the look of "fakeness". *shrugs*

When i die i won't take this body with me, so whatever procedure i do to it will die with it too, and since i don't believe in "this is the only life you'll live" thing, i think plastic surgery is totally pointless.

I'm all for it. I don't see anything wrong with getting minor things done. It's when you start getting all shiny looking that it's a problem. As much as i'd like to believe that exericising will give me my body back (and it will do most of the job), I know for a fact that after a year of breastfeeding and pregnancy that my body will never completely go back to the way it was. I wasn't that lucky in my genetics but I don't see plastic surgery as a resort to get everything fixed. In that case, you need a therapist.

There will always be little things I would want to change, like laser resurfacing, anything that would get rid of stretchmarks, lipo under the chin... perhaps a tummy tuck after I have children if its bad.

But when it comes down to it, I think I will always have that want that I will never pursue

I dont neccesarily think its a bad thing, however I cant help it but think ppl have gone too far sometimes(like massive breasts, or one too many nosejobs)

I have had plastic surgery, and really there is nothing so bad about it at all. It's not even as painful as people claim.

If something makes you miserable about your body, and you can change it, what's the big deal? There is no long term issues with things like breast augmentation or minor botox to kill off a few wrinkles!

Having said that, i don't agree with 50 year old women looking 25.... that kind of freaks me out and isn't something i'd be down for.

Back