Making glitter eyeshadow more usable?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everybody! Hopefully someone has some advice for me.
smile.gif

I recently bought a small palette of drugstore eyeshadows which were loaded with glitter. I knew when I bought them that they had glitter but I bought them anyways because the colors were pretty and I couldn't resist.

Nothing wrong with glitter eyeshdows, but I'm 30+ and it really doesn't work for me. As you can see in my avatar, my eyes aren't very wrinkly, but glitter doesn't go very well with my style if you know what I mean.
laughing.gif

I thought "well, I could probably buff away the glitter once the eyeshadow is applied". Well, wrong. The eyeshadow goes on pretty well with a sticky base but the glitter really sticks and no amount of buffing made it go away.
frown.gif

In desperation, I grabbed some tape and applied it to my lids, when removing the tape it took some of the glitter with it - but it also removed some of the eyeshadow (duh).

So, does anyone know a good way of removing the glitter?

(And don't say - "don't buy glittery eyeshadow if you don't like glitter"! I know, I know...)
wink.gif

You want to remove the glitter from the eyeshadow?

Or remove the glitter after you apply it?

Originally Posted by katana /img/forum/go_quote.gif You want to remove the glitter from the eyeshadow? Or remove the glitter after you apply it?

Remove the glitter after the eyeshadow is applied.
smile.gif

Sorry for being unclear, English isn't my native language so I know that it's not always easy to understand me.
shy.gif

Maybe you could try putting a non-shimmery MAC paint (bare canvas) over the eyeshadow once it is applied.

I really don't know if this would work though. I have two MAC paints that I NEVER use so I would NOT reccommend going out and buying a Paint to try this. Just try it if you have one sitting around like I do.

Hmm, a good way to deal with your glittery eyeshadow is to wet your brush and apply your eyeshadow that way, less mess.

If you want to remove fallen glitters, i use a big powder brush and scotch tape
laughing.gif

Originally Posted by SophieIowa /img/forum/go_quote.gif Maybe you could try putting a non-shimmery MAC paint (bare canvas) over the eyeshadow once it is applied.I really don't know if this would work though. I have two MAC paints that I NEVER use so I would NOT reccommend going out and buying a Paint to try this. Just try it if you have one sitting around like I do.

Actually I don't own a MAC paint so I can't try this out - but thank you nonetheless.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by magosienne /img/forum/go_quote.gif Hmm, a good way to deal with your glittery eyeshadow is to wet your brush and apply your eyeshadow that way, less mess.If you want to remove fallen glitters, i use a big powder brush and scotch tape
laughing.gif

So if I apply the eyeshadow wet, less glitter will adhere to the eye? Or do you mean that I get less glittery fall-out that way? I usually apply eyeshadow dry over a sticky base because I think it makes blending easier but I will try it wet and see if works.
smile.gif

I remove glitter fall-out the same way you do
thumbsup2.gif
however I think that glittery eyeshadows have a tendency to "drop" glitter on your cheeks during the day and I don't usually carry a big fluffy brush or scotch tape with me so I end up looking a right mess with glitter all over my cheeks which is not really a good look for me.
wink.gif

Thank you!

Hm, i have 4 loose glitter eyeshadows that I recently came with this makeup set, the colors are gorgeous but I have the same problem as you, I just can't get myself to wear it out, I feel like an 8 yr old. I was thinking of reserving them just for night time, but even for night looks, you can see the glitter/shimmer chunks, I would also lvoe to hear anyone's advice on making glitter shadows more user friendly
smile.gif

i found this on e how

Remove any excessive glitter with your finger or a cotton swab with baby oil.

that was a tip for a eye shadow that was entierly glitter, but i would try it one night when you have nothing to do worst case scenario it removes everything

Originally Posted by Orangeeyecrayon /img/forum/go_quote.gif i found this on e howRemove any excessive glitter with your finger or a cotton swab with baby oil.

that was a tip for a eye shadow that was entierly glitter, but i would try it one night when you have nothing to do worst case scenario it removes everything

It sounds like it will remove more than just the glitter but I will definitely try it, hopefully it will work.
Thanks!
smile.gif

Let us know if it works! We don't have baby oil, and I don't really want to buy it to try it.

I have this Urban Decay set that has gorgeous colours - but you guessed it - some have too much glitter. :/

Originally Posted by DasSavva /img/forum/go_quote.gif Let us know if it works! We don't have baby oil, and I don't really want to buy it to try it.
I have this Urban Decay set that has gorgeous colours - but you guessed it - some have too much glitter. :/

I tried removing the glitter with baby oil but sadly it didn't work for me.
frown.gif
It was as I feared, it took away not only the glitter but also the eyeshadow.
So far, removing the glitter with scotch tape after the eyeshadow is applied is what has been working best for me - the result is kind of patchy and far from perfect, though.

Back