Mineral companies that make their colors

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I really did not go into thinking about this until a couple nights ago.. I saw somewhere (can't find it at the moment) that while some mineral companies create their colors, some just repack their micas-meaning they buy bulkloads of colors from the same place and put their labels on them and sold as they are.

I don't if I should be bothered by this, but I think by creating your colors=uniquity + capability + sincerity and more importantly, values... I don't wanna pay outrageous price for something that the companies bought off somewhere else in a wholesale when themselves paid WAY cheaper.

Companies that DO make their own that I know of: Fyrinnae, The she space, Earthen glow minerals, Pure Luxe, Aromaleigh, Joppa, Silk Naturals, EDM, Ocean Mist and maybe others

Companies that I've heard buy their colors: Mad minerals, Taylor made minerals, etc

(Ii have to admit the colors I bought from MAD are awesome, but their prices are higher than others. $2 for 1/4 tsp in bag!)

Wholesaler Company: TKB trading , Coastal Scents

Please give this post a shout on what you think and what you know... Just a random thought, do you like companies do small batches whenever they get the orders or bulk batches that're ready to be sent and been sitting on the shelves?

Actually... Bulk manufacturers can make and sell things much cheaper than smaller ones that make them for their own consumption.. And if ASA or ISO standards are followed for quality control.. Why should it matter where it came from or who made it as long as the final product is safe and effective and since it competes in the open market... Cost effective?

I thought about its before long time a go. i think the brands need to say if the reseller or not.

I will decide where to buy what.

for example. TMM is a monve's foundations reseller.

Taylor sells her foundations much cheap than Monave. but when I look in TMM's site I didn't see any sign for that, and its a pitty.

because Monave have an exalant foundations but very very pricey. I hope you got my point.

but you say something about Madminerals. what do you mean? that she is resller? of what?

thanks!

I agree with you 100% Flowind! I have also given this a lot of thought and I only buy from companies that make their own colors now.

A company which I know makes their own colors is Silk Naturals. If you haven't tried them you've been missing out! They are great and I highly recommend their eyeshadows and blushes.
smile.gif

I think that EDM and Ocean Mist make their own colors, too. Some of the colors I've sampled from them are too unique to be just repacked micas, you know.

Great topic!
yess.gif

TKB is a wholsaler though, in all fairness to the other companies. thats why they can sell 10-15 grams of pigments for $1.50

I wish I can make mmu by own. but I afraid that I can't.

the raw materials are very very cheap..

Originally Posted by Karren /img/forum/go_quote.gif Actually... Bulk manufacturers can make and sell things much cheaper than smaller ones that make them for their own consumption.. And if ASA or ISO standards are followed for quality control.. Why should it matter where it came from or who made it as long as the final product is safe and effective and since it competes in the open market... Cost effective? Please don't misinterpret of what I've said. All I wanted to express is that some companies buy bulks and put their labels on them, so why not come clean about it? I have NOTHING against bulk manufacturers and I stand by that they make safe and quality products. What I'm confused are of those mineral companies that's got some reputations, but they don't make their colors; yet, they sell them at a much higher price than those companies who do make their colors. Isn't that kind of puzzling because it should be small companies who create their colors be raising their prices because more money is put into the ingredients? It won't stop me from buying from them if they did state that they bought those micas at a bulk order or that they don't make their own colors.

Originally Posted by simisimi100 /img/forum/go_quote.gif I thought about its before long time a go. i think the brands need to say if the reseller or not. I will decide where to buy what.

for example. TMM is a monve's foundations reseller.

Taylor sells her foundations much cheap than Monave. but when I look in TMM's site I didn't see any sign for that, and its a pitty.

because Monave have an exalant foundations but very very pricey. I hope you got my point.

but you say something about Madminerals. what do you mean? that she is resller? of what?

thanks!

Oh my, I didn't know that! Thanks for the info! Nothing against that the companies resell since it's cheaper... But it would be nice for them to put up the name of the source. yeah, I checked out Mad's website after one user stated that they repackage their colors... I looked at their About Us page, the closest I came at is M*A*D Minerals is a internet-based company providing affordable, high quality pure loose mineral makeup. MAD AND Aromaleigh (traditional cosmetics section) both have a product Indelible Gel Liner/Creme Shadows, while neither said they made them or the other way. I foudn out a company called jWcosmetics, this is probably where the indelible gel liner/creme shadows come from; they showed a picture and has their cap in jW...

Usually, a company would be proud to say that they reformulate/create/make their colors, but none on the MAD or Taylormade states that. MAD doesn't make their colors, seems like it... I don't care as long as MAD lower the price, their colors are actually more expensive than those who do make their colors! LOL And I have sensitive skin, so I can't risk putting raw material on me, but we'll see...

Originally Posted by Flowind /img/forum/go_quote.gif Please don't misinterpret of what I've said. All I wanted to express is that some companies buy bulks and put their labels on them, so why not come clean about it? I have NOTHING against bulk manufacturers and I stand by that they make safe and quality products. What I'm confused are of those mineral companies that's got some reputations, but they don't make their colors; yet, they sell them at a much higher price than those companies who do make their colors. Isn't that kind of puzzling because it should be small companies who create their colors be raising their prices because more money is put into the ingredients? It won't stop me from buying from them if they did state that they bought those micas at a bulk order or that they don't make their own colors.

Oh my, I didn't know that! Thanks for the info! Nothing against that the companies resell since it's cheaper... But it would be nice for them to put up the name of the source. yeah, I checked out Mad's website after one user stated that they repackage their colors... I looked at their About Us page, the closest I came at is M*A*D Minerals is a internet-based company providing affordable, high quality pure loose mineral makeup. MAD AND Aromaleigh (traditional cosmetics section) both have a product Indelible Gel Liner/Creme Shadows, while neither said they made them or the other way. I foudn out a company called jWcosmetics, this is probably where the indelible gel liner/creme shadows come from; they showed a picture and has their cap in jW...

Usually, a company would be proud to say that they reformulate/create/make their colors, but none on the MAD or Taylormade states that. MAD doesn't make their colors, seems like it... I don't care as long as MAD lower the price, their colors are actually more expensive than those who do make their colors! LOL And I have sensitive skin, so I can't risk putting raw material on me, but we'll see...

yes, about TMM is for sure. I will buy Monave's foundations from her. because its much cheaper, and its great. about Mad. what company Mad is reseller? Sorry but I didn't understad. do you mean that Aromaleigh is selling to Mad her products? that's what you mean to?

sorry again about my english.
whistling.gif

Originally Posted by vanja /img/forum/go_quote.gif I agree with you 100% Flowind! I have also given this a lot of thought and I only buy from companies that make their own colors now.
A company which I know makes their own colors is Silk Naturals. If you haven't tried them you've been missing out! They are great and I highly recommend their eyeshadows and blushes.
smile.gif

I think that EDM and Ocean Mist make their own colors, too. Some of the colors I've sampled from them are too unique to be just repacked micas, you know.

Great topic!
yess.gif

Oh, thanks for your support... I didn't mean to attack companies who do resell, but i think it'd be clear to the consumers if they made it clear or they lower the price! I haven't tried EDM or Ocean Mist shadows since the swatches don't look that exciting, haha. At the time, I forgot about them..
I did buy from Silk Naturals and I can see she makes her colors! Unfortunately, she doesn't offer samples for shadows, but I understand the reason behind it. Her eye shadows aren't expensive, I just need to pick out the right colors! I ordered her lip products and I'm loving them. She also has non-preserved gel liner-no silicones and petroleum (I could kick myself for getting Costal scents ones at $6.95 each, but loaded with chemicals). Do you know she has the first Eyeshadow primer with ingredients paraben-free 20 Gram for $9.50? (I think another one is The she space's black primer, but a lot more ingredients.) Gotta try s lot of SNs soon, but my wallet is running dry with a lot holes.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by simisimi100 /img/forum/go_quote.gif yes, about TMM is for sure. I will buy Monave's foundations from her. because its much cheaper, and its great. about Mad. what company Mad is reseller? Sorry but I didn't understad. do you mean that Aromaleigh is selling to Mad her products? that's what you mean to?

sorry again about my english.
whistling.gif

Hi simisimi100:
what company Mad is reseller?

If you are asking about their micas/colors; I have no idea. Since I did order from them and got 3 colors... they weren't that unique compared to the companies who do create their colors. So it made sense to me after a user pointed this out AND how MAD's About us page doesn't make it clear about this matter.

do you mean that Aromaleigh is selling to Mad her products?

Sorry, I was so confusing.
smile.gif
Both Aromaleigh and MAD have Traditional Cosmetics sections. (MAD's nagivation is just at left side) they both carry Indelible Line (regardless creme or gel liner) I searched and searched and came to this site: jwcosmetics.com where they also have both lines, but provided with a picture showing their logo jars. Now, I'm not 100% sure who's the original source. However, up to this point, it seems like this jWcosmetics seems to be the top source. Aromaleigh makes their mineral colors, but decided to carry traditional makeup due to customer request. If that makes sense.
wink.gif
I'm still debating myself whether I should be contacting them to get to the bottom of this, but to me it's too time consuming.

Originally Posted by Flowind /img/forum/go_quote.gif Oh, thanks for your support... I didn't mean to attack companies who do resell, but i think it'd be clear to the consumers if they made it clear or they lower the price! I haven't tried EDM or Ocean Mist shadows since the swatches don't look that exciting, haha. At the time, I forgot about them.. The Ocean Mist swatches are bad, the product is better than the photos. They are not my very favorite, but I do like them and, like SN, they are priced great and I do not regret buying them.
EDM eyeshadows are not the company's strongest product, in my humble opinion. (I love their blushes, though!) Just wanted to mention them because I'm pretty certain they make it themselves.

Quote:
I did buy from Silk Naturals and I can see she makes her colors! Unfortunately, she doesn't offer samples for shadows, but I understand the reason behind it. Her eye shadows aren't expensive, I just need to pick out the right colors! I ordered her lip products and I'm loving them. She also has non-preserved gel liner-no silicones and petroleum (I could kick myself for getting Costal scents ones at $6.95 each, but loaded with chemicals). Do you know she has the first Eyeshadow primer with ingredients paraben-free 20 Gram for $9.50? (I think another one is The she space's black primer, but a lot more ingredients.) Gotta try s lot of SNs soon, but my wallet is running dry with a lot holes.
smile.gif
Silk Naturals is one of my favorite companies! I haven't tried their primer yet but I'm sure I will buy it in my next order. I have the She Space black primer, though, and it's great.
smile.gif

I also want to add that I have nothing against companies that just repack the micas (instead of making the product themselves). I do not necessary think that it's shady business practice or anything. It's just that nowadays I make my own products - not for sale, only for personal use - and I appreciate the creativity that comes with it.
smile.gif
Also, it's more of a thrill for me to buy something unique, that only one company offers instead of buying a repacked mica that five or six other MMU companies also sell.

Some would say "but there's only so many colors available..." but I don't agree. There's not just "taupe", you know, there's hundreds of variations of taupe!!!

Not that I need to buy all of them, but nonetheless...
laughing.gif

Most indelible liners are bought already made- from a single source- same container, box, and names. Makes sense because you are adding in liquid components that up the risks of contamination. Even bigger companies do this very same thing- I've seen higher end glosses that are exactly the same as e.l.f. ones- they just charged more.

I think that after a while, you can easily figure out which brands are just repackaging colors and those that are creating their own unique ones. I don't have any issue with resellers if they are providing everything you need- products and customer service- in one place. I'm not a fan of the shipping costs from multiple sites to get everything I want- so I think resellers have their place. With many offering the same things, it's up to me to find the right price.

Originally Posted by Hoozey /img/forum/go_quote.gif Most indelible liners are bought already made- from a single source- same container, box, and names. Makes sense because you are adding in liquid components that up the risks of contamination. Even bigger companies do this very same thing- I've seen higher end glosses that are exactly the same as e.l.f. ones- they just charged more.
I think that after a while, you can easily figure out which brands are just repackaging colors and those that are creating their own unique ones. I don't have any issue with resellers if they are providing everything you need- products and customer service- in one place. I'm not a fan of the shipping costs from multiple sites to get everything I want- so I think resellers have their place. With many offering the same things, it's up to me to find the right price.

Hi there Hoozy!! how are you? I don't know how figure out which brands are repacking, and which brand creating their colors.

how you do that?

Originally Posted by DreamSonia /img/forum/go_quote.gif Does anyone know if TMM sells all Monave's foundations? no. TMM don't have all the shades but most of them. if you want to know what is what I will help you..

Originally Posted by simisimi100 /img/forum/go_quote.gif Hi there Hoozy!! how are you? I don't know how figure out which brands are repacking, and which brand creating their colors.

how you do that?

Hi Simha,I'm pretty good. Killing some time while DH is on phone with his youngest brother... it could be a while. LOL How are you doing?

I usually look at TKB micas. If the colors are pretty much what you find as TKB on a site then they are probably just repackaging,- sometimes they even have the same names. It's harder to tell with foundations which are making them.

Most of the indelible liners I figured out must come from same maker. When I bought my first indelible liners, there were names like "Endangered" for the green color and after a while I was like "Oh it must all come from the same source" because the name alone.

thank you dear Hoozy! I don't know how to say it but I have a question please. does can I use in Mica alone as eye shadows? from TKB? (I don't think so) but I want to know because I think its should be a mixing of some raw materials? I hope you will understand my question?

Sim,

Mica alone, at least in what I've experienced, does not stick very well to the lids. So while you could use it on its own, it stays on much better when the micas are mixed with other things.

Originally Posted by jandi /img/forum/go_quote.gif Sim,
Mica alone, at least in what I've experienced, does not stick very well to the lids. So while you could use it on its own, it stays on much better when the micas are mixed with other things.

thank you so much Jandi!please let me understand well. the brands have to mixing thier micas with something.

did Hoozy ment to that?

I know that brands only packing the eyeshadows and than sell it. but there is a lot brands that mixing micas with something and than sell it? that's what she meant to?

I'm completly confused.

please explain with simple words..
smile.gif

Simha

I am more concerned where the bulk ingredients are coming from and the safety. These days we have to worry if our food and our pets food contains Melamine. We should be concerned about our cosmetics as well.

Originally Posted by Hoozey /img/forum/go_quote.gif Hi Simha,I'm pretty good. Killing some time while DH is on phone with his youngest brother... it could be a while. LOL How are you doing?

I usually look at TKB micas. If the colors are pretty much what you find as TKB on a site then they are probably just repackaging,- sometimes they even have the same names. It's harder to tell with foundations which are making them.

Most of the indelible liners I figured out must come from same maker. When I bought my first indelible liners, there were names like "Endangered" for the green color and after a while I was like "Oh it must all come from the same source" because the name alone.

yeah, after ordering from numerous companies, I started to see a difference when that somene mentioned it. I don't believe in high-end glosses, I don't like their sticky formula. onto the indelible gel liner, what i found weird is that the jW cosmetics had a picture with the jar cap printed jW logo. MAD and aromaleigh doesn't... well, it could be me minding business too much

Originally Posted by laurie_lu /img/forum/go_quote.gif I am more concerned where the bulk ingredients are coming from and the safety. These days we have to worry if our food and our pets food contains Melamine. We should be concerned about our cosmetics as well. good point. My mind is simple, I didn't think this way before, just bothered that they're repacked and sold at a higher price than those who make their colors.. anyway, I believe some comes from TKB trading. TKB trading sells ounces or tablespoons.

Back