Do you get defensive about your age?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was having dinner with my family earlier in January and my brother was going on about how old he was turning this year (as little kids do) and then he started telling everyone how old they were turning this year. My other brothers, me, my mum, but when he said how old my mum's partner is turning, his head flew off. He got so defensive over William pointing out how old he was turning this year. I looked at mum and she looked at me and we were both thinking the same thing - super sensitive. Mum doesn't care about age and i don't either, so I don't understand how he could get so defensive over a little kid telling him how old he is this year.

To me, age is just a number and not really a definition of how 'old' you are. You could have the most easy going life ever and be in your seventies and still feel young. Or have the worst life and feel incredibly old in your twenties. It's all about what you have lived through. Age is really just a number. I was thinking maybe he was ashamed of how he's lived his life because he's not really one of those happy kinds of people... and so, if he was ashamed of his life, then he would be ashamed of his age.

I don't know, maybe I just haven't got there yet because I am only 18, but then... mum is in her late thirties and she isn't afraid to talk about it nearing 40.

Are any of you defensive over you age or are you like me or my mum and just don't care?

you know i think age is such a relative thing. i have met people who weren't that old but acted like they were retirement waiting to happen, and then there are people who are older but have had such fulfilling lives and are still living that way that age doesn't matter.

But yes some people are completely freaked out by a particular number.

Never trust anyone over 30. (common sentiment during the 60s and 70s)

Age is nothing more than something that lets me know how long you have been on this earth. SOme people dont look their age, and some sure in the hell dont act their age. When I am 100 years old, I will have no problem saying so. But it seems thaat most between the ages of 30-50 have a problem saying so.

That's so weird

I hope I don't get like that....

But woman don't seem to age on my mothers side so maybe I won't get all.... argh

honestly I love to brag about my age Im proud of who ,what and how old I am

I have a different opinion :s

I have fought people for 5 years telling me I was too young to be doing what I'm doing. I no longer share my age with others and find I get more respepct

Nobody really ages in my family. I guess it's the 'asian genes' in us..hehe, my parents are in their 50's and some friends who never met them think they're my older siblings! My grandma is hitting 80 and she still has a potty mouth who likes to cook, clean, garden, and do laundry. Although we never get wrinkly skin, we sure sprout white hairs quick. My granny got her grey's when she was in her 20's, dad started going grey when he was 16. I had my first grey hair when I was 13...totally hereditary. lol, but all jokes aside regardless on how we act, we never get defensive when someone says we're older or younger than we really are.

WhoCaresClock.jpg

I am only 21 so i probably dont need to worry.

I guess i do worry that other people my age have achieved a lot more than me. I am also aware that people who are older tend to want to be about my age, so i worry that im wasting my youth a bit lmao. All that means is that ive tried to slim down a bit and try to look a little nicer.

I get more frustrated when people make assumptions on me based on my age - for example, that generation 'y' or whatever is selfish and doesn't care for the environment, or that people 'my age' are usually irresponsible or have no sense of committment.

THAT really annoys me, so yes, for the same reasons as HairE, I usually don't mention my age all that much, although I have no problem with telling people my age if they ask - I just expect them to judge me based on how I treat them and who I am, not what year I was born!

Not really I'm only 17 so not much to be defensive about really but I do think that age is only a number.

My aunt is really defensive about her age, to the point where her own kids don't even know how old she is.

Like Rosie, i don't like when people assume something based on my age. "You're the generation that's all about computers, video games and internet..." is the most irritating for me.

Other than that, age doesn't mean much to me, frankly it doesn't mean anything but the time you've been on this earth.

The only thing that annoys me sometimes is people don't trust me when i say my age. I know i look and sound younger, which i guess is a compliment for a woman, and i admit i play with it just to see people's reaction, but when people patronize me on my assumed age, i get super defensive.

Originally Posted by Roxie /img/forum/go_quote.gif I was having dinner with my family earlier in January and my brother was going on about how old he was turning this year (as little kids do) and then he started telling everyone how old they were turning this year. My other brothers, me, my mum, but when he said how old my mum's partner is turning, his head flew off. He got so defensive over William pointing out how old he was turning this year. I looked at mum and she looked at me and we were both thinking the same thing - super sensitive. Mum doesn't care about age and i don't either, so I don't understand how he could get so defensive over a little kid telling him how old he is this year.To me, age is just a number and not really a definition of how 'old' you are. You could have the most easy going life ever and be in your seventies and still feel young. Or have the worst life and feel incredibly old in your twenties. It's all about what you have lived through. Age is really just a number. I was thinking maybe he was ashamed of how he's lived his life because he's not really one of those happy kinds of people... and so, if he was ashamed of his life, then he would be ashamed of his age.

I don't know, maybe I just haven't got there yet because I am only 18, but then... mum is in her late thirties and she isn't afraid to talk about it nearing 40.

Are any of you defensive over you age or are you like me or my mum and just don't care?

Well, I turn 27 this week, and I get asked a lot if I want a children's menu when I go out to restaurants...so that part is a little irritating. lol!
Honestly, though...I did freak out a few weeks ago when I realized I was getting so close to 30. I guess part of the reason for that is that I'm not at the point in my life where most people are when they're around this age (married with kids, etc). But for someone slightly older (who may feel younger than they are), being reminded of how old they are and how their time on earth may be limited, that's not really something that most people would choose to dwell on. I know I'll probably freak out again once I reach 40 knowing that (statistically speaking) my life is probably around half-way over barring any sort of tragedy. I don't know, maybe I'm just more morbid than other people. lol.

Originally Posted by StereoXGirl /img/forum/go_quote.gif Well, I turn 27 this week, and I get asked a lot if I want a children's menu when I go out to restaurants...so that part is a little irritating. lol!.

Learn to love it!!!! People freak out when they find out I have a son thats almost 20 years old .. Its all flattery
smile.gif

Hey Shaundra, you need to start hitting up the restaurants where kids eat for free!

I don't care to tell people how old I am (27). Most people think I'm younger than that, so to me it's a compliment. I think being secretive about your age is an older generation thing. I once knew someone that wouldn't tell me what year she graduated because she though I'd calculate her age from that. Who cares??

I had an elderly patient tell me that she didn't care about having another birthday. She said that the only way you don't get older is if your dead. I thought that was interesting way of looking at things!
biggrin.gif

I wish I was young enough to be defensive about my age!! lol Nothing o defend about being friggin old....
frown.gif

My family and I have never cared. EXCEPT I am told I look young for my age and sometimes it gets a little old. And I would always get carded at bars when I was 21 and my 20 yr old husband wouldn't! I agree that it's all about how you feel. I feel like i'm ninety sometimes with my back pain LOL

I don't like it when people treat me differently when they find out im 16, most people assume i'm about 18/19 when they first meet me haha.

I've always looked exactly my age, so it's never bothered me actually... My mom looks younger than her age so when ppl guess she's quite flattered. So I've never had the example of ppl gettin sensitive about their age...

And plus you were with family and a child was doing the talking. That's especially why it wasn't so serious in my books...

I don't think i get defensive yet! lol I am 25 and a whole year older then my husband. BUT in comparison to him and his siblings (which all but 1 is younger then me) I have the better skin.

Within my family age and looks are almost #1....sad I know, even sadder when you find out almost everyone is an academic.

I hope i don't end up totally obsessed and judgemental based on looks and age like my elders have.

I get a little worried when i look at others my age or younger and see they have achieved more then me though.

Originally Posted by StereoXGirl /img/forum/go_quote.gif Well, I turn 27 this week, and I get asked a lot if I want a children's menu when I go out to restaurants...so that part is a little irritating. lol! I totally understand what you mean! I'm turning 20 in 3 weeks and people still assume I'm 14-15. I also get offered little kids' menus and that definitely annoys me! I'm actually really excited to get a little older and mature. Maybe by the time I'm 40-50 I'll get a little scared of "how old I am" but for now I'm definitely looking forward to getting older.

Latest posts

Back