Is This True?!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Original Link here: DON'T BE FOOLED!! BY SCANDALOUS COSMETICS!? - Yahoo! Answers

Copy and Pasted from Link:" "Actually, Scandalous Cosmetics is merely the same cosmetics as Rubys from the West Covina mall.Manic Panic ,Medusa Far from original. From a consumer stand point you don't think about it, but as a MAKEUP ARTIST- i know that Scandalous is bought from the wholesale/private label company LADY BURD Cosmetics.

I guarantee this is the same-100%

So if you want to buy it from them! plus is stains you eyelids there eye base jajaja!!! is a joke try NYX JUMBO PENCIL IN COLOR MILK IT IS GREAT AND PICK UP GREAT COLOR !!!!"

I believe he/she is only stating how this company, "Scandalous Cosmetics", is exactly the same as Manic Panic, and Ruby's...and most likely several other makeup brands and companies we've all used for their well pigmented makeup. These companies purchase bulk unlabeled products from "Lady Burd Cosmetics" and have the company label them and ship them out at wholesale prices.

Here are the site's, feel free to check them out and compare colors and products. In some cases...even the names remain the same. Manic Panic has some eye dusts and eye shadows that they kept the same names for that Lady Burd created for them. Most companies change the names to make it look more authentic.

Lady Burd Cosmetics (Manufacturer)

LadyBurd® - Exclusive Private Label Cosmetics

Manic Panic (stars like Joss Stone and Marylin Manson have used this company)

Tish & Snooky's MANIC PANIC NYC

Medusa's Makeup (I personally have purchased many different products from this company and find that there are much cheaper but better quality things out there, which I will give the website links for below.

Medusa's Make-Up bright mineral eyeshadow, pure pigment, all natural makeup

Feel free to compare the products and colors. They are virtually one in the same. Not that anything is wrong with that though, this is just how businesses work. I personally find nothing wrong with purchasing makeup and products from companies like this, because this is exactly what all businesses do, one way or another. I personally prefer cheaper prices though, so I like makeup artist run stores and smaller businesses, they are much more personal and it is much easier to know what you are purchasing EXACTLY!

Links are below to AMAZING eye shadow and makeup stores that let you sample products for $1.00 to even $.50 to $.25 cents. Makeup is very comparable to the infamous makeup artist company M.A.C. Please check these sites out.

Fyrinnae (Most comparable to MAC, IMO)

Fyrinnae

Pure Luxe Cosmetics

Flash Intro Page

Electric Cosmetics (check out their Gallery)

Paint Cosmetics

Coastal Scents (Their 2 main 88 eyeshadow pallets have proven to be Extremely comparable to MAC quality!!! This company is also known for their AMAZING MAC comparable quality makeup brushes.)

http://www.coastalscents.com

Michael's (Amazing craft store find makeup brushes....softer, better and more versatile then most MAC quality brushes)

http://www.michaels.com/

I also HIGHLY recommend the NYX Jumbo Pencils, they have plenty of colors to choose from. These pencils are great bases for your eye shadows and help keep them from creasing and smudging throughout the day. Always use a primer though, (like Urban Decay Primer Potion from Sephora - Sephora: Beauty, Skin Care, Makeup, Hair, & Fragrance - ). They also brighten up colors and make them much more vibrant and if you use white (milk jumbo pencil) this will make all of your eyeshadows show up more true to color and true to what you see in the pot/pan.

http://www.nyxcosmetics.com/Main_Pages/P...

Hope this helps.

Source(s):

Fyrinnae

Flash Intro Page

Paint Cosmetics

http://www.coastalscents.com

NYX Cosmetics: Simple Life, Simple Cosmetics

Sephora: Beauty, Skin Care, Makeup, Hair, & Fragrance

http://www.michaels.com/

LadyBurd® - Exclusive Private Label Cosmetics

Tish & Snooky's MANIC PANIC NYC

Medusa's Make-Up bright mineral eyeshadow, pure pigment, all natural makeup

M·A·C Cosmetics | Offering a large selection of makeup, skin care products, and nail care items. Also offering cosmetic accessories ""

____________________________________ (end quote)

I just read that and I am in disbelief; I feel almost cheated, and betrayed which is silly considering I have never bought any of the aforementioned products (but I have contemplated it).

I found this when I was looking up info on Scandalous Cosmetics, and now I'm wondering if it's true.

I mean, I realize that not all companies formulate their own make up; that would be too expensive. But this is just ridiculous. How do you guys feel about this? Am I the only one who never knew?

I'm not shocked or surprised by it. Maybe this explains why a $2 NYC lipstick is better than a $22.00 Smashbox lipstick.

I can't speak to these brands but look how many other companies in the world make bulk products soley for the use of private labels or other companies to put their name on and resell.. Doesn't make it wrong.. Doesn't make them bad products either.. Probably makes them more expensive than they need to be... Just have to be an informed consumer...

I agree with Karren. I feel also that tons of the information listed here is based more on opinion than facts. I know that sometimes the some products are sold cheaper under lesser known brands as oppose to dept brands but it's all about being informed of the facts as a consumer. Sometimes when you buy higher end stuff you're really just buying a name but it's a matter of research, research and some more research.

That's the name of the game man. Ppl get so upset like sellers have a moral obligation to say "My products are manufacutred by X company and I'm private labeled" No... They wanna make money. So they're gonna sell you the finished product, their product. As a consumer you have the final decision to purchase.You have to be an informed consumer is all... No need to be shocked and apalled... Just do your own research. 9/10 you'd find the answers...

Yup, it's true. I recently found out myself on youtube. The packaging is even the same except the clear printed sticker has a different name on it. I was one of those that got upset initially (not really but I was kinda shocked and felt deceived), but Reesesilverstar makes a great point: they are in it to make money and they'd be shooting themselves in the foot if they said I'm selling the exact same thing as (insert silimar brand name here) but they're cheaper. If it's legal and they have the rights to sell the product, they're not really doing anything wrong.

Having said that, I'm glad I found out because I was starting to wonder about Scandalous Cosmetics anyway... They're like the ghost of the cosmetics trade. I mean, no website??? C'mon!!! In 2009!!!??? They have a kiosk in the center of the Montebello Mall in LA. They're really shady. I guess there really is something in a name.

I found out about last month. That's why I started a thread of "mineral companies who make their color" in Mineral makeup thread. I do not object esp. mineral companies sell bulk repacks. However, it is also understandable when they don't put their source of bulks from. To me, that's lack of credit. But really, what have I gotta say about a free market where companies just out there making money? One big problem is I do NOT want to buy the same pigments from different companies of IDENTICAL things. That's a waste of money and companies always do different swatches to make them look different. There's no way to tell until you bought somethign from them.
kopfkratz.gif
I think that's okay, my money went down the drain.

Now, I appreciate comapnies more when they do make their colors and buy from them mainly. Ironically, those companies who create their eyeshadows are CHEAPER than those who buy powders in bulks. weird..

Hi all

I don't really understand the negativity towards Private Label. I feel like it is almost abit naive to think every different makeup brand comes from its very own factory and all colour ranges are unique. I did not have a full understanding of it all until i started researching Private Label myself as it is something I hope to venture into this year.

I think it does come all come down to making money as people have said however for ppl like myself who cannot afford to create my own unique products, only those that are private labelled, i think it should be supported
smile.gif

It's not just makeup either. A company called Sigma makes brushes that are almost identical to MAC, but you can buy a set of Sigma brushes for about half the price of MAC's. I haven't tried them myself, but I've heard positive reviews from a lot of people. Some even think that some of the brushes are better than MAC.

If you find a quality product that just happens to be cheaper than a brand name product, wouldn't it make more sense to buy the cheaper one?

I love the Coastal Scents pallettes. You can get a palette of 88 colours for around $25USD.

I agree Etiquette
smile.gif
Just checked out the Sigma brushes site, now considering buying a few as i need an upgrade and these are more within my price range. Thanks for the heads up!

What i find sad as that there doesn't seem to be many well known high quality manufacturers offering private label in Australia......
frown.gif

Back