Sign in to follow this  
Johnnie

Vegan Lifestyle

I've been Vegan for a while now and I must say that I love it. I feel very good: physically and mentally. Never was I a big fruit and vegetable fan but boy was I missing out. They're so good! Anywho..for my own personal reasons I've chosen to avoid meats and dairy. If you'd like to know why just visit MeetYourMeat.com. I'lll never look at food the same way ever again. Woo! sleepyhead.gif

My meals consist of fruit/nuts for breakfast, vegetables for lunch, beans/vegetables/grain for dinner, and nuts/fruit as snacks. I also restrict my beverage intake to water only. Preferably, lemon water.

The best things I've noticed is the increase in my energy levels, I sleep better, no more headaches and I've lost 10lbs without trying lol.gif

I'd like to know if anyone else is living Vegan and if you'd like to share, why?

Good for you! I would actually like to give up meat but I just love the taste too much. I could totally do without pork, but I will never be able to pass up a great steak. And chicken and turkey tastes too good as well.

That doesn´t mean that i have to eat meat every day, but after a while I´d miss it. It´s hard enough eating healthy sometimes, I wonder how hard it must be to eat vegan...when you go to restaurants or something, and just in every day life

I was a vegetarian for 6 months about 6 years ago, but I lost too much weight (I was down into the 80's in lbs) and I started getting really sick because of it. So I started eating chicken and eggs again (and turkey on Thanksgiving and Christmas just to appease my mother), but I never got back into eating other meats.

While I'm far from vegan, I do hardly ever eat meat. Personally, I hate pork, it always hurts my stomach afterwards, beef is okay but I love chicken. But, I think I eat meat maybe 2x a week and it's almost always chicken. I'm fine eating all vegetables and fruits, which I actually prefer the taste off. A good steak is too hard to resist personally lol. Kudos to going all vegan and I'm glad it's really worked for you smile.gif

Originally Posted by Andi View Post
Good for you! I would actually like to give up meat but I just love the taste too much. I could totally do without pork, but I will never be able to pass up a great steak. And chicken and turkey tastes too good as well.

That doesn´t mean that i have to eat meat every day, but after a while I´d miss it. It´s hard enough eating healthy sometimes, I wonder how hard it must be to eat vegan...when you go to restaurants or something, and just in every day life

Thank you! I thought it'd be hard too because most restaurants don't have a vegan menu so I stick with the salads when I eat out. I can tell you that it's not hard for me. Especially, since it's more of a moral thing. If I were doing it just to lose weight then I think it'd be hard but it's not hard at all, really.

Originally Posted by StereoXGirl View Post
I was a vegetarian for 6 months about 6 years ago, but I lost too much weight (I was down into the 80's in lbs) and I started getting really sick because of it. So I started eating chicken and eggs again (and turkey on Thanksgiving and Christmas just to appease my mother), but I never got back into eating other meats.
Wow! 80lbs? That's tiny! I'm sure I will hear it from my mom too about my weight and she'll probably drill me about eating meat again.

Originally Posted by Adrienne View Post
While I'm far from vegan, I do hardly ever eat meat. Personally, I hate pork, it always hurts my stomach afterwards, beef is okay but I love chicken. But, I think I eat meat maybe 2x a week and it's almost always chicken. I'm fine eating all vegetables and fruits, which I actually prefer the taste off. A good steak is too hard to resist personally lol. Kudos to going all vegan and I'm glad it's really worked for you smile.gif
That's good you prefer vegetables/fruit too. I wonder why pork gives you an upset stomach...?

Originally Posted by nanzmck View Post
I would love to give up meat, but I don't get how to make family meals without it.
There are many vegan recipes online that can help you out. I used quite a few for my meals but I'll still cook meat for my honey because he's far from Vegan like everyone else...lol. Perhaps you could serve yourself Vegan meals and add meat to the others?

Originally Posted by Karren View Post
That's awesome, Jonnie!! But I <3 cows too much!!
Thank you Karren icon_cheesygrin.gif I don't know of any man that could live without meat...lol. I'll miss the "taste" of chicken, steak and turkey too but I...just...can't...do...it....lol brsh.gif

Wow, I admire you.. that's something I always wanted to try, but I honestly don't have the willpower to do it.

That's awesome Johnnie!

Good for you! I've wanted to give up meat for a few years and I tried for a few months but like Shaundra I lost a load of weight and ended up eating meat again because I was like a bag of bones.

I wish I could though!

How to say this... When i cook for myself, i eat vegan. When my mom cooks, she makes sure i eat some meat because she fears for my health (aka protein myth). Sadly i obey as i need all the iron i can get.

But my family has made a place in the fridge for soy yogurts and milk, my beloved quinoa and agar agar has taken the place of gelatin in the cupboard.

I very rarely eat red meat, and only eat chicken about once a month. I just don't like the taste of meat, and could happily never eat it again. I also don't like the texture of meat, I find it quite gross. I think this is because when I was a bub I had a lot of food allergies, so Mum only fed me fruit and veggies. Now, I love fruit and veggies, and happily eat them all the time. I don't have much dairy either, because I'm lactose intolerant.

Originally Posted by bella1342 View Post
Wow, I admire you.. that's something I always wanted to try, but I honestly don't have the willpower to do it.

That's awesome Johnnie!

Thank you icon_cheesygrin.gif

Originally Posted by magneticheart View Post
Good for you! I've wanted to give up meat for a few years and I tried for a few months but like Shaundra I lost a load of weight and ended up eating meat again because I was like a bag of bones.

I wish I could though!

Thank you too! So, you're saying that when you started to eat meat again you gained weight? What'd you eat that had protein when you weren't eating meat?

Originally Posted by magosienne View Post
How to say this... When i cook for myself, i eat vegan. When my mom cooks, she makes sure i eat some meat because she fears for my health (aka protein myth). Sadly i obey as i need all the iron i can get.

But my family has made a place in the fridge for soy yogurts and milk, my beloved quinoa and agar agar has taken the place of gelatin in the cupboard.

I don't know what it is about our moms...lol. I've wanted to try out soy but I need to read more about it. Since, I'm doing the whole alkaline/acid thing. What is quinoa and agar agar?

Originally Posted by speedy View Post
I very rarely eat red meat, and only eat chicken about once a month. I just don't like the taste of meat, and could happily never eat it again. I also don't like the texture of meat, I find it quite gross. I think this is because when I was a bub I had a lot of food allergies, so Mum only fed me fruit and veggies. Now, I love fruit and veggies, and happily eat them all the time. I don't have much dairy either, because I'm lactose intolerant.
It's funny you say that you don't like the texture of meat because ground beef, like hamburger meat, almost always grossed me out because of the texture too.

When I wasn't eating meat I ate bread and potatoes for protein but because I'm a picky eater I don't like vegtables, fruit or beans and things like that so meat is a big part of my diet which meant that when I tried to cut it out I realised there wasn't a lot else that I could eat.

Originally Posted by Johnnie View Post
That's good you prefer vegetables/fruit too. I wonder why pork gives you an upset stomach...?
idk but it's just so fatty so maybe that's why lol. it might be just the way our family cooks it but even bacon makes me sick. I'll have pepperoni on my pizza and I love it but afterwards my stomach hurts as well. I think my stomachs just weird.

Originally Posted by magneticheart View Post
When I wasn't eating meat I ate bread and potatoes for protein but because I'm a picky eater I don't like vegtables, fruit or beans and things like that so meat is a big part of my diet which meant that when I tried to cut it out I realised there wasn't a lot else that I could eat.
Ah, no wonder! Thanks for sharing. Bread is a weakness of mine. I don't think I'd ever be able to give it up icon_cheesygrin.gif

Originally Posted by Adrienne View Post
idk but it's just so fatty so maybe that's why lol. it might be just the way our family cooks it but even bacon makes me sick. I'll have pepperoni on my pizza and I love it but afterwards my stomach hurts as well. I think my stomachs just weird.
Hmm...interesting. LOL though @ your stomach is weird. Thanks for sharing too ;-)

Originally Posted by Johnnie View Post
I don't know what it is about our moms...lol. I've wanted to try out soy but I need to read more about it. Since, I'm doing the whole alkaline/acid thing. What is quinoa and agar agar?
Oh, i'm all about soy, lol. Milk, yogurts (so much tastier than that dairy stuff), sauce, tofu. I put cocoa powder, sugar and tofu in the food processor, mix everything, store in the fridge for at least an hour and tadaa ! Easy chocolate mousse without the cholesterol from egg whites. Yum !!

Agar agar (Kanten in japanese) is a seaweed with a high gelatin power. You don't need much (2g/a teaspoon for 0.5 liter) and you get a firmer result than with gelatin. It's also used to make your deserts lighter.

Quinoa comes from South America, it was cultivated by the Incas. It is a small grain, with many properties : slow sugars, polyunsaturated fats, minerals, fibers and proteins ! It's also glutenfree.

Usually you find the yellow version which is the most common, there is also a red one.

I use it as a replacement for bulgur. The quinoa flour is great in cakes but mixed with others since it's glutenfree.

The quinoa cream is like cornstarch, great for sauces. I also eat it with a bit of sugar for a quick snack/breakfast.

Quinoa flakes are a nice alternative to oats.

The only thing i do not like is quinoa milk, yuck yuck !

im interested in going vegan, but have never actually given it a shot cuz i just love my meat and seafood lol

i got a couple of friends who became vagans and soon gave up. i guess its a lifestyle choice that requires a strong determination and commitment so way to go girl! smile.gif

I found a tip that works well : replace the meat in your staple recipes by a vegan alternative.

One thing that convinced me to try out recipes are two lovely ladies named Isa and Terry, i bought two of their cookbooks and all the recipes i tried are to die for, especially the cupcakes. Yum !! I can't resist adding the link to the videos they made : The post punk kitchen

Oh, i'm all about soy, lol. Milk, yogurts (so much tastier than that dairy stuff), sauce, tofu. I put cocoa powder, sugar and tofu in the food processor, mix everything, store in the fridge for at least an hour and tadaa ! Easy chocolate mousse without the cholesterol from egg whites. Yum !!

Agar agar (Kanten in japanese) is a seaweed with a high gelatin power. You don't need much (2g/a teaspoon for 0.5 liter) and you get a firmer result than with gelatin. It's also used to make your deserts lighter.

Quinoa comes from South America, it was cultivated by the Incas. It is a small grain, with many properties : slow sugars, polyunsaturated fats, minerals, fibers and proteins ! It's also glutenfree.

Usually you find the yellow version which is the most common, there is also a red one.

I use it as a replacement for bulgur. The quinoa flour is great in cakes but mixed with others since it's glutenfree.

The quinoa cream is like cornstarch, great for sauces. I also eat it with a bit of sugar for a quick snack/breakfast.

Quinoa flakes are a nice alternative to oats.

The only thing i do not like is quinoa milk, yuck yuck !

Ooh, this is useful information! Thanks for sharing. That chocolate mousse sounds scrumptious icon_cheesygrin.gif I wouldn't know where to find quinoa and agar agar though. ??

Originally Posted by makeup-lover View Post
I think that it's great that you're feeling so good! Just make sure you get enough protein and carbohydrates.
Thank you! Vegetables such as potatoes, beans, leeks, onions, yams and turnips are all good sources of carbohydrates. Also, beans and nuts are a great source of protein.

Originally Posted by purplejasmine View Post
im interested in going vegan, but have never actually given it a shot cuz i just love my meat and seafood lol

i got a couple of friends who became vagans and soon gave up. i guess its a lifestyle choice that requires a strong determination and commitment so way to go girl!

Thank you too! I agree 100% that it requires strong will power.

I found a tip that works well : replace the meat in your staple recipes by a vegan alternative.

One thing that convinced me to try out recipes are two lovely ladies named Isa and Terry, i bought two of their cookbooks and all the recipes i tried are to die for, especially the cupcakes. Yum !! I can't resist adding the link to the videos they made : The post punk kitchen

I have to try that cupcake recipe...omg! I haven't had chocolate in forever! Haha!

Hi Johnnie! I've been a vegetarian for over 2 years now and I would NEVER go back to eating meat. I don't ever feel gross or too full after a meal like I used to. I've read extensively about the meat industry so I feel like it's a very smart and thoughtful decision. I'm happy to see people embracing the lifestyle. I'm not a vegan because I have a very deep love for baked goods like cakes, cookies, brownies etc. However when I bake them myself I make them vegan.

Originally Posted by mariascreek View Post
Hi Johnnie! I've been a vegetarian for over 2 years now and I would NEVER go back to eating meat. I don't ever feel gross or too full after a meal like I used to. I've read extensively about the meat industry so I feel like it's a very smart and thoughtful decision. I'm happy to see people embracing the lifestyle. I'm not a vegan because I have a very deep love for baked goods like cakes, cookies, brownies etc. However when I bake them myself I make them vegan.
I'm happy to hear that you no longer eat meat either wink.gif Ah, the sweets! Yes, those are very missed, haha!

I'll have to read more about the whole vegan goodies because I just found the cupcake one but if there's more then I need to do more research icon_cheesygrin.gif

Johnnie, here's the recipe of their basic chocolate cupcake wink.gif

I find quinoa and agar agar in my local healthfood/organic food store. But i guess you could try a japanese grocery store, if you have one, for agar agar.

Have you tried the "cheese" called Tofutti ? I love cheesecakes, and i know where i could find some but the store is a bit far from home, is it worth it ?

Johnnie, here's the recipe of their basic chocolate cupcake wink.gif

I find quinoa and agar agar in my local healthfood/organic food store. But i guess you could try a japanese grocery store, if you have one, for agar agar.

Have you tried the "cheese" called Tofutti ? I love cheesecakes, and i know where i could find some but the store is a bit far from home, is it worth it ?

I'm going to have to do that...look through the health/food isles and see what I can find. I have no idea where there's a Japanese market in my area. Hmm.....

I've never heard of tofutti. I'm assuming it's made from tofu?

Id call myself vegan, been vegetarian for around 7 years and over the last six months (after reading a book called 'skinny *****')ive started giving up eggs and milk. Ill eat a banana most days for breakfast, lunch usually a vegeburger and dinner often a soup and or vegetables. I do treat myself every few days with something yummy, like vegan french toast, oreos (which are vegan) soy chocolate or soy ice cream. Apart from that i usually treat myself to yummy fruits, and as often as possible ill have a big bowl of green vegetables to fill me up before dinner. Ive lost around 26lbs from it so far, without exercising.

I think veganism can be hard to define because it is very difficult, and some say impossible, to become completely vegan. Even sugar is not considered vegan by some. Im starting to see it as a blanket term, or something to strive towards. I havnt gone as far as getting rid of my makeup that could have been tested on animals nor have i thrown away some of the leather things i own, like handbags or shoes, although im making a big effort to buy more animal friendly stuff from now on.

A littlle advice for anyone interested in becoming vegan.... pick up the book Skinny *****! Its not the sole reason i became vegan, but its definitely been the best resource for me. They also have a book called "skinny ***** in the kitch" which is a vegan recipe book that will put to rest any fears you have that vegan food might not be as tasty.

I would also recommend not trying to push your beliefs onto other people. Provide advice and assistance to anyone who is interested in having a go but you still need to understand that there will be people who will quite aggressively try to bring you down... its really not worth having a conversation with those types. Usually they just make wrong assumptions but sometimes they will argue and argue until your discussing philosophical things that you dont really care about. In the end whats right and whats wrong is down to the individual so if anyone tries to argue to the death with you about your beliefs my recommendation is to tell them to hit the web for the facts and leave it at that.

It makes me so happy to see more and more considering this lifestyle, indeed its made me feel like a better person, inside and out. I once said i couldnt give up chicken and when i became vegetarian i realised that wasnt true. Not long ago i was completely addicted to cheese and chocolate and nowadays i almost feel sick at the thought, and if i do get a craving for the flavour i have a soy cheese toastie or an oreo. Its great!