Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Johnnie

Vegan Lifestyle

Recommended Posts

I've been Vegan for a while now and I must say that I love it. I feel very good: physically and mentally. Never was I a big fruit and vegetable fan but boy was I missing out. They're so good! Anywho..for my own personal reasons I've chosen to avoid meats and dairy. If you'd like to know why just visit MeetYourMeat.com. I'lll never look at food the same way ever again. Woo! sleepyhead.gif

 

My meals consist of fruit/nuts for breakfast, vegetables for lunch, beans/vegetables/grain for dinner, and nuts/fruit as snacks. I also restrict my beverage intake to water only. Preferably, lemon water.

 

The best things I've noticed is the increase in my energy levels, I sleep better, no more headaches and I've lost 10lbs without trying lol.gif

 

I'd like to know if anyone else is living Vegan and if you'd like to share, why?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good for you! I would actually like to give up meat but I just love the taste too much. I could totally do without pork, but I will never be able to pass up a great steak. And chicken and turkey tastes too good as well.

That doesn´t mean that i have to eat meat every day, but after a while I´d miss it. It´s hard enough eating healthy sometimes, I wonder how hard it must be to eat vegan...when you go to restaurants or something, and just in every day life

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was a vegetarian for 6 months about 6 years ago, but I lost too much weight (I was down into the 80's in lbs) and I started getting really sick because of it. So I started eating chicken and eggs again (and turkey on Thanksgiving and Christmas just to appease my mother), but I never got back into eating other meats.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While I'm far from vegan, I do hardly ever eat meat. Personally, I hate pork, it always hurts my stomach afterwards, beef is okay but I love chicken. But, I think I eat meat maybe 2x a week and it's almost always chicken. I'm fine eating all vegetables and fruits, which I actually prefer the taste off. A good steak is too hard to resist personally lol. Kudos to going all vegan and I'm glad it's really worked for you smile.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by Andi View Post
Good for you! I would actually like to give up meat but I just love the taste too much. I could totally do without pork, but I will never be able to pass up a great steak. And chicken and turkey tastes too good as well.

That doesn´t mean that i have to eat meat every day, but after a while I´d miss it. It´s hard enough eating healthy sometimes, I wonder how hard it must be to eat vegan...when you go to restaurants or something, and just in every day life

Thank you! I thought it'd be hard too because most restaurants don't have a vegan menu so I stick with the salads when I eat out. I can tell you that it's not hard for me. Especially, since it's more of a moral thing. If I were doing it just to lose weight then I think it'd be hard but it's not hard at all, really.

 

Originally Posted by StereoXGirl View Post
I was a vegetarian for 6 months about 6 years ago, but I lost too much weight (I was down into the 80's in lbs) and I started getting really sick because of it. So I started eating chicken and eggs again (and turkey on Thanksgiving and Christmas just to appease my mother), but I never got back into eating other meats.
Wow! 80lbs? That's tiny! I'm sure I will hear it from my mom too about my weight and she'll probably drill me about eating meat again.

 

Originally Posted by Adrienne View Post
While I'm far from vegan, I do hardly ever eat meat. Personally, I hate pork, it always hurts my stomach afterwards, beef is okay but I love chicken. But, I think I eat meat maybe 2x a week and it's almost always chicken. I'm fine eating all vegetables and fruits, which I actually prefer the taste off. A good steak is too hard to resist personally lol. Kudos to going all vegan and I'm glad it's really worked for you smile.gif
That's good you prefer vegetables/fruit too. I wonder why pork gives you an upset stomach...?

 

Originally Posted by nanzmck View Post
I would love to give up meat, but I don't get how to make family meals without it.
There are many vegan recipes online that can help you out. I used quite a few for my meals but I'll still cook meat for my honey because he's far from Vegan like everyone else...lol. Perhaps you could serve yourself Vegan meals and add meat to the others?

 

Originally Posted by Karren View Post
That's awesome, Jonnie!! But I <3 cows too much!!
Thank you Karren icon_cheesygrin.gif I don't know of any man that could live without meat...lol. I'll miss the "taste" of chicken, steak and turkey too but I...just...can't...do...it....lol brsh.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, I admire you.. that's something I always wanted to try, but I honestly don't have the willpower to do it.

 

That's awesome Johnnie!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good for you! I've wanted to give up meat for a few years and I tried for a few months but like Shaundra I lost a load of weight and ended up eating meat again because I was like a bag of bones.

I wish I could though!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How to say this... When i cook for myself, i eat vegan. When my mom cooks, she makes sure i eat some meat because she fears for my health (aka protein myth). Sadly i obey as i need all the iron i can get.

But my family has made a place in the fridge for soy yogurts and milk, my beloved quinoa and agar agar has taken the place of gelatin in the cupboard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I very rarely eat red meat, and only eat chicken about once a month. I just don't like the taste of meat, and could happily never eat it again. I also don't like the texture of meat, I find it quite gross. I think this is because when I was a bub I had a lot of food allergies, so Mum only fed me fruit and veggies. Now, I love fruit and veggies, and happily eat them all the time. I don't have much dairy either, because I'm lactose intolerant.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by bella1342 View Post
Wow, I admire you.. that's something I always wanted to try, but I honestly don't have the willpower to do it.

 

That's awesome Johnnie!

Thank you icon_cheesygrin.gif

 

Originally Posted by magneticheart View Post
Good for you! I've wanted to give up meat for a few years and I tried for a few months but like Shaundra I lost a load of weight and ended up eating meat again because I was like a bag of bones.

I wish I could though!

Thank you too! So, you're saying that when you started to eat meat again you gained weight? What'd you eat that had protein when you weren't eating meat?

 

Originally Posted by magosienne View Post
How to say this... When i cook for myself, i eat vegan. When my mom cooks, she makes sure i eat some meat because she fears for my health (aka protein myth). Sadly i obey as i need all the iron i can get.

But my family has made a place in the fridge for soy yogurts and milk, my beloved quinoa and agar agar has taken the place of gelatin in the cupboard.

I don't know what it is about our moms...lol. I've wanted to try out soy but I need to read more about it. Since, I'm doing the whole alkaline/acid thing. What is quinoa and agar agar?

 

Originally Posted by speedy View Post
I very rarely eat red meat, and only eat chicken about once a month. I just don't like the taste of meat, and could happily never eat it again. I also don't like the texture of meat, I find it quite gross. I think this is because when I was a bub I had a lot of food allergies, so Mum only fed me fruit and veggies. Now, I love fruit and veggies, and happily eat them all the time. I don't have much dairy either, because I'm lactose intolerant.
It's funny you say that you don't like the texture of meat because ground beef, like hamburger meat, almost always grossed me out because of the texture too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I wasn't eating meat I ate bread and potatoes for protein but because I'm a picky eater I don't like vegtables, fruit or beans and things like that so meat is a big part of my diet which meant that when I tried to cut it out I realised there wasn't a lot else that I could eat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally Posted by Johnnie View Post
That's good you prefer vegetables/fruit too. I wonder why pork gives you an upset stomach...?
idk but it's just so fatty so maybe that's why lol. it might be just the way our family cooks it but even bacon makes me sick. I'll have pepperoni on my pizza and I love it but afterwards my stomach hurts as well. I think my stomachs just weird.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by magneticheart View Post
When I wasn't eating meat I ate bread and potatoes for protein but because I'm a picky eater I don't like vegtables, fruit or beans and things like that so meat is a big part of my diet which meant that when I tried to cut it out I realised there wasn't a lot else that I could eat.
Ah, no wonder! Thanks for sharing. Bread is a weakness of mine. I don't think I'd ever be able to give it up icon_cheesygrin.gif

 

Originally Posted by Adrienne View Post
idk but it's just so fatty so maybe that's why lol. it might be just the way our family cooks it but even bacon makes me sick. I'll have pepperoni on my pizza and I love it but afterwards my stomach hurts as well. I think my stomachs just weird.
Hmm...interesting. LOL though @ your stomach is weird. Thanks for sharing too ;-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by Johnnie View Post
I don't know what it is about our moms...lol. I've wanted to try out soy but I need to read more about it. Since, I'm doing the whole alkaline/acid thing. What is quinoa and agar agar?
Oh, i'm all about soy, lol. Milk, yogurts (so much tastier than that dairy stuff), sauce, tofu. I put cocoa powder, sugar and tofu in the food processor, mix everything, store in the fridge for at least an hour and tadaa ! Easy chocolate mousse without the cholesterol from egg whites. Yum !!

 

Agar agar (Kanten in japanese) is a seaweed with a high gelatin power. You don't need much (2g/a teaspoon for 0.5 liter) and you get a firmer result than with gelatin. It's also used to make your deserts lighter.

 

Quinoa comes from South America, it was cultivated by the Incas. It is a small grain, with many properties : slow sugars, polyunsaturated fats, minerals, fibers and proteins ! It's also glutenfree.

Usually you find the yellow version which is the most common, there is also a red one.

I use it as a replacement for bulgur. The quinoa flour is great in cakes but mixed with others since it's glutenfree.

The quinoa cream is like cornstarch, great for sauces. I also eat it with a bit of sugar for a quick snack/breakfast.

Quinoa flakes are a nice alternative to oats.

The only thing i do not like is quinoa milk, yuck yuck !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

im interested in going vegan, but have never actually given it a shot cuz i just love my meat and seafood lol

 

i got a couple of friends who became vagans and soon gave up. i guess its a lifestyle choice that requires a strong determination and commitment so way to go girl! smile.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I found a tip that works well : replace the meat in your staple recipes by a vegan alternative.

 

One thing that convinced me to try out recipes are two lovely ladies named Isa and Terry, i bought two of their cookbooks and all the recipes i tried are to die for, especially the cupcakes. Yum !! I can't resist adding the link to the videos they made : The post punk kitchen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by magosienne View Post
Oh, i'm all about soy, lol. Milk, yogurts (so much tastier than that dairy stuff), sauce, tofu. I put cocoa powder, sugar and tofu in the food processor, mix everything, store in the fridge for at least an hour and tadaa ! Easy chocolate mousse without the cholesterol from egg whites. Yum !!

 

Agar agar (Kanten in japanese) is a seaweed with a high gelatin power. You don't need much (2g/a teaspoon for 0.5 liter) and you get a firmer result than with gelatin. It's also used to make your deserts lighter.

 

Quinoa comes from South America, it was cultivated by the Incas. It is a small grain, with many properties : slow sugars, polyunsaturated fats, minerals, fibers and proteins ! It's also glutenfree.

Usually you find the yellow version which is the most common, there is also a red one.

I use it as a replacement for bulgur. The quinoa flour is great in cakes but mixed with others since it's glutenfree.

The quinoa cream is like cornstarch, great for sauces. I also eat it with a bit of sugar for a quick snack/breakfast.

Quinoa flakes are a nice alternative to oats.

The only thing i do not like is quinoa milk, yuck yuck !

Ooh, this is useful information! Thanks for sharing. That chocolate mousse sounds scrumptious icon_cheesygrin.gif I wouldn't know where to find quinoa and agar agar though. ??

 

Originally Posted by makeup-lover View Post
I think that it's great that you're feeling so good! Just make sure you get enough protein and carbohydrates.
Thank you! Vegetables such as potatoes, beans, leeks, onions, yams and turnips are all good sources of carbohydrates. Also, beans and nuts are a great source of protein.

 

Originally Posted by purplejasmine View Post
im interested in going vegan, but have never actually given it a shot cuz i just love my meat and seafood lol

 

i got a couple of friends who became vagans and soon gave up. i guess its a lifestyle choice that requires a strong determination and commitment so way to go girl!

Thank you too! I agree 100% that it requires strong will power.

 

Originally Posted by magosienne View Post
I found a tip that works well : replace the meat in your staple recipes by a vegan alternative.

 

One thing that convinced me to try out recipes are two lovely ladies named Isa and Terry, i bought two of their cookbooks and all the recipes i tried are to die for, especially the cupcakes. Yum !! I can't resist adding the link to the videos they made : The post punk kitchen

I have to try that cupcake recipe...omg! I haven't had chocolate in forever! Haha!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Johnnie! I've been a vegetarian for over 2 years now and I would NEVER go back to eating meat. I don't ever feel gross or too full after a meal like I used to. I've read extensively about the meat industry so I feel like it's a very smart and thoughtful decision. I'm happy to see people embracing the lifestyle. I'm not a vegan because I have a very deep love for baked goods like cakes, cookies, brownies etc. However when I bake them myself I make them vegan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by mariascreek View Post
Hi Johnnie! I've been a vegetarian for over 2 years now and I would NEVER go back to eating meat. I don't ever feel gross or too full after a meal like I used to. I've read extensively about the meat industry so I feel like it's a very smart and thoughtful decision. I'm happy to see people embracing the lifestyle. I'm not a vegan because I have a very deep love for baked goods like cakes, cookies, brownies etc. However when I bake them myself I make them vegan.
I'm happy to hear that you no longer eat meat either wink.gif Ah, the sweets! Yes, those are very missed, haha!

I'll have to read more about the whole vegan goodies because I just found the cupcake one but if there's more then I need to do more research icon_cheesygrin.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Johnnie, here's the recipe of their basic chocolate cupcake wink.gif

 

I find quinoa and agar agar in my local healthfood/organic food store. But i guess you could try a japanese grocery store, if you have one, for agar agar.

 

Have you tried the "cheese" called Tofutti ? I love cheesecakes, and i know where i could find some but the store is a bit far from home, is it worth it ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by magosienne View Post
Johnnie, here's the recipe of their basic chocolate cupcake wink.gif

 

I find quinoa and agar agar in my local healthfood/organic food store. But i guess you could try a japanese grocery store, if you have one, for agar agar.

 

Have you tried the "cheese" called Tofutti ? I love cheesecakes, and i know where i could find some but the store is a bit far from home, is it worth it ?

I'm going to have to do that...look through the health/food isles and see what I can find. I have no idea where there's a Japanese market in my area. Hmm.....

 

I've never heard of tofutti. I'm assuming it's made from tofu?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Id call myself vegan, been vegetarian for around 7 years and over the last six months (after reading a book called 'skinny *****')ive started giving up eggs and milk. Ill eat a banana most days for breakfast, lunch usually a vegeburger and dinner often a soup and or vegetables. I do treat myself every few days with something yummy, like vegan french toast, oreos (which are vegan) soy chocolate or soy ice cream. Apart from that i usually treat myself to yummy fruits, and as often as possible ill have a big bowl of green vegetables to fill me up before dinner. Ive lost around 26lbs from it so far, without exercising.

 

I think veganism can be hard to define because it is very difficult, and some say impossible, to become completely vegan. Even sugar is not considered vegan by some. Im starting to see it as a blanket term, or something to strive towards. I havnt gone as far as getting rid of my makeup that could have been tested on animals nor have i thrown away some of the leather things i own, like handbags or shoes, although im making a big effort to buy more animal friendly stuff from now on.

 

A littlle advice for anyone interested in becoming vegan.... pick up the book Skinny *****! Its not the sole reason i became vegan, but its definitely been the best resource for me. They also have a book called "skinny ***** in the kitch" which is a vegan recipe book that will put to rest any fears you have that vegan food might not be as tasty.

 

I would also recommend not trying to push your beliefs onto other people. Provide advice and assistance to anyone who is interested in having a go but you still need to understand that there will be people who will quite aggressively try to bring you down... its really not worth having a conversation with those types. Usually they just make wrong assumptions but sometimes they will argue and argue until your discussing philosophical things that you dont really care about. In the end whats right and whats wrong is down to the individual so if anyone tries to argue to the death with you about your beliefs my recommendation is to tell them to hit the web for the facts and leave it at that.

 

 

It makes me so happy to see more and more considering this lifestyle, indeed its made me feel like a better person, inside and out. I once said i couldnt give up chicken and when i became vegetarian i realised that wasnt true. Not long ago i was completely addicted to cheese and chocolate and nowadays i almost feel sick at the thought, and if i do get a craving for the flavour i have a soy cheese toastie or an oreo. Its great!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  



  • Posts

    • I have been backsliding, but backsliding in a better way than before. The money has felt tighter than normal lately. I decided not to be too hard on myself, because part of that was from losing my second job due to COVID. Also I joined a new church, and really want to keep up with the tithing. That has become important to me. I found I need to tighten the budget and cut back on too much takeout/delivery [Door Dash is my vice]. That's hard for me. I was not budgeting well, and I found myself the week before Father's Day with not enough money for gifts and food that week, so I opened a new credit card. I used that to buy gifts and food, then some more food and takeout. I feel really badly about that.  BUT my old self would have just kept the card, and gone shopping for beauty items with it too, and I would have given up on my No Buy/Project Use It Up. NOW I caught myself after about two weeks of this backsliding, cut up the card, took the card number out of the computer. Because if it's there, it's too much temptation. And I kept right on using my old beauty stuff, I was not even tempted to buy new beauty stuff, just food!  Now I will wait for the bill for the new credit card to come in the mail and work on paying it off. The fact that I am rebounding like this instead of going back to my old behavior is a really good sign! I do need to work on the eating out. Getting Nutrisystem was not such a good idea. The dry food is hard to eat and it is pretty expensive too. But I will keep trying to change my food habits. Until now, I have not really had to do that to achieve my goals. We're moving into the higher goals now. 
    • Men with gray hair are often flattered for their distinguished looks. Timothy Olyphant, John Slattery and other stars demonstrate the attractive face of gray hair. We hope they help you discover the cut that will best suit your gray hair. Take a look at these three guys in the photo above. The photo on the right shows Adam Lambert (born 1982), who is the youngest of the three. He probably doesn't want to praise senior citizens, but instead prefers to wear his voluminous gray hair to stand out from the crowd. Some young stars like Adam Lambert and Kelly Osbourne love to wear gray hair and enjoy playing with cliches. Of course, such characteristic appearances draw the attention of young Hollywood-obsessed youth. The white hair mixed with natural colors in the heads of young stars attracts more sure looks that lilacs, pinks or greens and go unnoticed. In the photo Timothy Olyphant (born 1968) appears in the center, as does his hairstyle. His “salt and pepper” hair near his temples and on his beard makes him look naturally distinguished and adds the appeal of the hair growth products for african american hair mature man who knows who he is and what he wants. Why change something that works so well? This can also be applied to John Slattery (born 1962), on the left of the photo. Almost all of John Slattery's hair lacks pigment and is therefore close to the transition from silver to white. His modern hairstyle and carefree demeanor show a person who knows how to step forward without getting nervous. No wonder it arouses as much admiration as desire.  Best hairstyles for men with gray hair Whatever the way that stars and celebrities wear or (pretend to) assume their gray hair, since they discover their first gray hair, most men (or women) have only one emotional response: “Oh no! Get rid of them! ” After the first shock of noticing that time passes while we don't realize it, most men at least cut their hair or shave off their beard that is starting to turn gray. This reaction is very constructive. In the photo, Matt Damon demonstrates how interesting haircuts are for men with gray hair. This is also the most popular hairstyle of all time for men with gray hair. George Clooney teaches us how to wear gray hair with style and class.     It can take a while for people to get used to the idea of having gray hair. It is best to have a strategy when the first isolated gray hairs cannot be hidden or plucked for much longer. Why not let gray hair mix freely with the rest of your mane? Adam Lambert, Timothy Olyphant and John Slattery (see photo above) demonstrate how to do it with class. Jeff Bridges, with his shoulder length gray hair and thick beard, is the image of a nature lover, like his younger colleagues, Charlie Hunnam and Jake Gyllenhaal. https://folexin.info/ https://skincellpro11.weebly.com/
    • Love the placement and subtlety of the cat eye and subtle cut crease.  It looks gorgeous. I'm trying to perfect the cut crease with white eyeliner lately.  I've only practiced it twice so I have a long way to go.
    • Essential hydration The dermis is made up of 70% water and the epidermis 15%. To maintain a good level of hydration, it is therefore important to opt for daily moisturizers that balance the water level at the heart of the skin. You can also regularly use a moisturizing mask, it ensure both your face health and beauty by removing the excess using a mist of thermal water.

About MakeupTalk®

© 2003-2018 MakeupTalk.com®, an active online community and message board geared towards members wanting to discuss everything to do with makeup, cosmetics, product reviews, monthly subscription boxes and general beauty related topics. Our community provides product reviews, makeup and general beauty tips. Our most popular topics are subscription boxes and their monthly spoilers. Join our community for free to take part in the conversations and share your own beauty tips and product reviews with others. We look forward to seeing you online here at Makeuptalk®!

Follow us

Recent tweets

MakeupTalk Facebook - 911K Likes

×
×
  • Create New...