Do it Yourself? or Professional?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was thinking.

Do you do your own brows? or do you get them done professionally??

I used to get them done by a professional. I loved the clean lines and the precise shape I got from waxing, but the salon became too expensive for me to justify. $25.00 for a 2 minute job? no way!

so, I slowly learnt how to tweeze by myself and still get a reasonable shape that I'm happy with. Sure, it's not as precise or as neat as the salon job, but if I screw up the shape completely I can go and get them redone and then maintain them myself at home, which is much cheaper!

SO! all my rambling ends with - do you do your own brows? or do you prefer to trust a salon?

and, why?

I pluck my own but would love to get them waxed I just haven't be brave enough to lol. I'm still trying to find the perfect brow for my face so maybe I should go and get them waxed by a pro that knows what they're doing.

$25 for brows is expensive!

I went to esthetician school and I don't favor waxing over tweezing. Waxing guarantees a fluid line but tweezing is more percise. Also, I've seen estheticians wax off whole brows by accident so you "professional" isn't always safest.

Having been behind the scenes of a salon I can say there are a lot of people who are making it up as they go.

I usually do them myself and I do a great job... but if I go a little too long without doing them, I'll lose the shape completely. Then I have to go and get them waxed. I'll get them waxed when I get my hair cut. $25 is a lot to get your brows waxed imo. I usually pay anywhere from 7$ to 15$. I was paying $7 for the longest time, but the girl that did them (I only trust her) left the salon about a year ago. Now I go somewhere else and pay like $10.

When I was younger I wouldn`t even attempt to do my own. And thankfully never encountered any that waxed off too much or all, eeek! lol. But after kinda jumping around due to people quitting, or too painful and my mom making a comment to one that I think would have waxed all my eyebrows off next time I saw her, haha, I just decided to learn myself.

I do get kinda lazy and just procrastinate with it a lot now that I do it myself, but I like how I know exactly how I want them shaped and what waxes work well with me and my skin. Plus, I hate plucking. I have a verryy low pain tolerance when it comes to it, and I can stop and go whenever I please when I`m tidying everything up after waxing.

Plus it did save me the $15+ and gas money to go get them done everytime I needed to, and mine like to grow back with a vengeance I think, lol.

I've never let someone else rather than me doing my eyebrows... even if I work with estheticians everyday and know them for 9 years now and have them done for free. I like how my eyebrows look like and even the estheticians I work with compliment me about my shape, so...

I personally think brows are best left to the professionals... I have always and still now, even though I have the skills to do it myself, get my brows done by somebody else.

Where I work it's $25 for a brow shape, and $15 for a brow tidy. Wax is expensive, it's also the time and effort the therapist puts in to give you the perfect shape. There's a lot of thought process when it comes to shaping brows, it's not necessarily a matter of wacking on some wax and ripping it off. You need to determine face shape, thickness of brows, wherre to correctly make the arch, where to taper, if the brows are over grown, you need to know where to start taking hair away, one wrong hair accidently waxed/tweezed out and you can completey stuff up the whole shape. So it may seem quite expensive for a job that takes 10 minutes, but you know you are going to be walking about with a perfect result.

I get them professionally done. I used to do them myself in high school and they looked shocking! I don't mind paying every few weeks or so, at least I know they will (usually!) look good
biggrin.gif

I have yet to find a professional that shapes my brows better than I can, so a while back I decided to just invest in high quality tweezers and do them myself. I think I do a decent job, and if I do mess up, I just wait for them to grow out. It takes like, a week for them to go bushy lol....arg!

I get mine threaded....I'm not a fan of waxing, I find threading to be more precise!

Originally Posted by HairEgo /img/forum/go_quote.gif I get mine threaded....I'm not a fan of waxing, I find threading to be more precise! I agree. Threading is so precise and gives a great shape. I used to get mine done and its not that expensive.
However, I have been waxing them myself for the past year and find that I do a better job. I spend more time than they would in a salon and I am much happier with the shape as I know what Im doing now.

I do mines myself. I do the razor/pluck method.

Originally Posted by lolaB /img/forum/go_quote.gif I have yet to find a professional that shapes my brows better than I can, so a while back I decided to just invest in high quality tweezers and do them myself. I think I do a decent job, and if I do mess up, I just wait for them to grow out. It takes like, a week for them to go bushy lol....arg! Hey Lola, what tweezers do you use? Mine doesn't grab the hairs as good anymore and they snap off instead of coming out.

I have been doing my own since I was 14. I don't let anyone touch my eyebrows ever. I have a unibrow and thick eyebrows with long hairs. Plucking is too painful, unconventionally--I use a thick hair remover that works great every time. I think that Ann Curry is my eyebrow idol!

I do mine myself. I've had them waxed before but I just find it easier to tweeze them myself and tidy them up when I need to.

I do my own brows. I use the wax strip kits and then just cut them to shape, and when I'm done I will pluck if there are any strays here and there. I cannot see letting someone else do it for me cuz I don't have the money for that.

I get mine threaded mostly aswell. When i can't get them threaded I will get them waxed. (now in saying that I haven't had my eyebrows done by professional going on about 6 months now lol I do them at home atm)

Threading is for free as my sil does this (trained beauty pro).

Waxing cost $15 last time i got it done.

I love how clean they feel after someone else does them, but Im fairly confident when I do them myself aswell.

I would like to get mine threaded, i had a bad experience when mom offered me to get them done professionally. My brows tend to be full and grow downwards so it's hard to know what to cut, what to pluck and what to let untouched. So i pluck mine, after some bad experiences i can only blame myself about, i know how to get the shape i want, and all i do nowadays is maintain that shape.

I've always done my own but I've been wanting to get them done professional for the longest. I'm mostly scared at where to go bc they take forever to grow out.

what i do is get a professional waxing, then i just try to maintain that shape by plucking the strays that pop up a few weeks afterwards..the key is to find a good waxer..lol..(or whatever you'd call them) & try to keep that shape.....eventually i get lazy & let them go out & get them waxed again...but the lady that does mine does a great job & only charges $8. not bad at all!
smile.gif

Back