Washing your hair everyday

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
OK, this is a really dumb question...

A few of my friends say it's better not to wash your hair everyday, and it'd be great not to have to straighten it all the time, but I gotta take a shower everyday.

If I put my hair up, it still gets all steamy and wet and I just end up washing it anyway.

And I run most mornings. I'd probably feel pretty gross if I didn't wash my hair after getting all wet and sweaty. My friends who spend a lot of time on their hair never workout, so they don't have any tips for me.

So what do most people do who say they don't wash their hair everyday? Do they use a shower cap or something? My one friend does ... I guess it just seems kinda weird to me.

I think ethnicity matters somewhat. Different races have different types of hair and oil producing patterns.

For example, it is common in my culture to wash one's hair once a week. Especially if the hair is relaxed and or processed.

When taking a shower, one would wear a shower cap.

I work out 4-6 times a week and still generally wash my hair once every 6/7 days.

In summer months sometimes I wash it each day, using just conditioner because shampoo can be too harsh and it can strip the hair of need nutrients and build-up.

I don't wash my hair every day....are you nuts?! I would spend my entire life washing and re-styling my hair! I work out daily as well and usually put my hair up in a high bun and quickly shower. As far as the 'fresh' feeling, I use a dry shampoo...its meant to be used inbetween shampoo's or as a refresher (ie. takes out cigarette smell if you've had a night out on the town)

Heres the one I use: Sephora: T3 Refresh Volumizing Dry Shampoo: Dry Shampoo

I wash my hair every second day, pretty sure I wouldn't have any hair left if I did it daily...I put my hair through a lot! lol

I wash my hair every second day and on the days in between I either put my hair into a bun when I shower or have a bath instead of a shower (but I put it in a bun more often).

I've never had a problem with keeping my hair out of the water...

I have a stupidly oily scalp and always have. Less than 24 hours after washing it really needs washed again. However I only wash it every other day. On the inbetween days I pull it into a ponytail and wear a thick headband so my greasy roots and 'rats' tails' are hidden. Dry shampoo has little effect for me and I've tried a few.

I've tried washing sparingly too, for a good while, to see if the costant washing was making my hair the way it is but it wasn't the case.

It's noy so much that I really think I shouldn't wash my hair everyday but I'm also kind of lazy. That makes me sound like I have poor hygiene or something. I shower every day, I promise, but just keep my hair out of the way!
biggrin.gif

Also, I don't straighten or style my hair. It either drys naturally or when it's a bit damp I'll quickly go through it with the hair dryer.

Anyway, to be on topic, if you feel your hair needs washed every day (as in it looks greasy) then do so. If your hair doesn't need it then freshen when needed with dry shampoo and wash every other day or when it needs it. I know some lucky buggers who could go a week without washing their hair and it would still look as nice as if they'd just washed it.

I wash mine every 2nd day also. My hair is too long to wash it everyday! haha on the days I haven't washed it I put baby powder on my roots to get rid of the greasiness and it works amazing! A lot cheaper then dry shampoo too! I just put mine up in a bun also and I've never had a problem with it getting wet.

I wash mine every other day. I typically just put it in a bun when I take a shower. I have a really oily scalp and what I would do is always put my hair up in those inbetween days. If your hair is that greasy and you feel uncomfortable, maybe just wash the hair an inch up around the hairline to that you oily hair isn't that obvious and do a hairstyle with a headband.

I wash my hair once or twice a week, so every 4 or 5 days. I am white if that matters.

I have loooong hair that has been dyed black for years, then bleached 10x to get the black out. So I have a lot of damage and the natural oils are good for my hair at this point.

Edit: Forgot to say that I use a shower cap. You can buy a pack of ten or fifteen caps at Wal Mart for $2..

I wash my hair at least twice a week and rather than taking a shower opt for a bath. If you must wash your hair everyday I suggest that you use a moisturizing shampoo if any at all and always always use conditioner and leave-in conditioner.

I wash my hair every other day. On the days I don't wash it, I either use a shower cap or put it in a bun...it just depends.

It's not really that my hair gets greasy. I put my hair up when I run, but the back of my neck still gets all sweaty. Maybe it's just an OCD thing.

I guess I'll have to try shower caps. Maybe it's because I take really hot showers, but my hair still gets really steamy and damp when I put it up to take a shower.

My hair's only shoulder length, so it isn't that big a deal washing it a lot, but it's still a kinda involved ritual.

I'm...too lazy to wash my hair everyday.

And actually my boyfriend tells me that my hair usually looks best on the 2nd/3rd day. First day it looks air-dried because it is. 2nd day the oils are starting to calm things down so things are starting to have a healthy shine but not oily looking. 3rd day it's getting a deeper shine. By the 4th day though it starts going more towards oily looking. I usually try to wash it by 4th day, give or take a day...usually about twice a week.

My stylist says it's better to wash it every other day. I do this also because I don't like to flat iron it everyday. And yes I use a shower cap. I just get those cheap processing caps at walmart, those tend to keep all my hair in better than a traditional shower cap.

i only shampoo my hair once a week, and i use conditioner about 3 times a week. the days that i dont let it get wet at all i use dry shampoo, this saves me the time of styling it and it does a really good job in my opinion of getting rid of the oiliness in my hair. plus they smell good. (i am cheap so i didnt buy stuff specificly made for hair i just use a lavender scented body powder)

As my hais is quite short and I use various styling products daily, I need to wash my hair everyday otherwise. I dont like the look and feel of my hair when I dont wash it daily.

It varies, I usually wash my hair everyday, especially when I was in high school. It just made me feel more awake and my hair doesn't neccessarily get greasy until the 2nd or even 3rd day. If I straighten my hair and want it straight for the next day I usually don't wash my hair so I'll use a shower cap.

I use a shower cap too... But that's because the office is cold and I'd catch a cold. If I were still in school, I'd rinse it in the shower everyday then moisturize and air dry... I think for my hair, that works cuz my hair NEEDS water... Actual washing tho, I do once a week with conditioner and once every 2 with shampoo...

Latest posts

Back