Something that annoys you about certain mu gurus on youtube

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Please no names lol dont wanna start a riot and dont be mean. This is just saying what in your opinion you find thats annoying that certain gurus do.

For me its annoying when a certain guru reviews a e/s product and claims she has some on but has applied it so lightly you cant see the true color. Theres one guru i love her when she reviews other products but eyeshadows not so much she hardly applies any so i cant see the color. Her excuse is that she likes her makeup to be understated but if its a hot pink then at least put on enough for the viewers to see the color arrrrg.

See something like that not being mean just a personal opinion
smile.gif

It can be annoying when I'm watching a vid and waiting for a tricky hard to do part, like putting on lashes, then the video skips ahead and the person did it off air.

I hate it when they become a semi-celebrity just because they have a video camera and a collection of makeup. Not too long ago, I saw a news program that featured one of these "makeup artists" on YouTube. WHY?? Call me jealous or crazy, but I seriously do not think people deserve fame just from posting a couple You tube videos.

Originally Posted by Scarlette /img/forum/go_quote.gif I hate it when they become a semi-celebrity just because they have a video camera and a collection of makeup. Not too long ago, I saw a news program that featured one of these "makeup artists" on YouTube. WHY?? Call me jealous or crazy, but I seriously do not think people deserve fame just from posting a couple You tube videos. i can agree to a certain pount. I am sooo glad for people doing these videos!!!! But, the semi-celebrity status is a bit too much I think.
And, it annoys me when a certain guru can turn what could be a 5min video into a 15min video. It´s great tips and information wrapped into lots of blabla

Originally Posted by Andi /img/forum/go_quote.gif i can agree to a certain pount. I am sooo glad for people doing these videos!!!! But, the semi-celebrity status is a bit too much I think.
And, it annoys me when a certain guru can turn what could be a 5min video into a 15min video. It´s great tips and information wrapped into lots of blabla

I totally agree with you there. I'm so impatient, LOL. If they're gonna babble on, at least be entertaining.

Originally Posted by ticki /img/forum/go_quote.gif I totally agree with you there. I'm so impatient, LOL. If they're gonna babble on, at least be entertaining. LOL I agree!!

Originally Posted by ticki /img/forum/go_quote.gif I totally agree with you there. I'm so impatient, LOL. If they're gonna babble on, at least be entertaining. This is my pet peeve too!! I'm thinking about starting to make videos, and I will have my channel called GetToThePoint or something like that. I'm not going to talk about my haul and my dog and my _______ (insert annoying, irrelevant topic here), just GET TO THE POINT about the title of the video. Seems like 9 times out of 10 you have to wait 5 minutues to actually see a pallette or a demo in a video titled ''Coastal Scents 88 pallette demo''
kopfkratz.gif

yeah i forgot to add that I don´t mind the babbling if someone is just very entertaining, bubbly and fun. But some people aren´t just that entertaining.

Now that I have my new laptop I´m also thinking of doing videos on Youtube, but I wouldn´t wanna have people critisizing my videos lol

Originally Posted by ticki /img/forum/go_quote.gif I totally agree with you there. I'm so impatient, LOL. If they're gonna babble on, at least be entertaining. Can we get a "Amen?"
I really do hate that... And doing the stuff ppl watched your video to see, OFF CAMERA! The celeb status thing too... There's one in particular who just puts makeup on... No tips, no tricks... But anyhoo...

I hate the Youtube "reviews" also... Some co sends you their product and suddenly it's the best thing we never had so we all must run out and buy it... Booo...

And the ghetto gurus... Oh my goodness... If you can't talk properly, why are you making videos? I wanna learn something, not spend time trying to decipher what you're saying or you cursing every next 2 words... Very unnecessary...

I agree with everything that's been said.

Especially about people blabbing on and not being very entertaining.

I have a short attention span, I want them to shut up and get it done.

I hate it how some gurus (well ones that have a kinda celeb status like it's been mentioned in this thread) will stop in the middle of a tutorial and go "oh btw..." and give an update on what's happening in their life. That bugs me. They should make a seperate video.

It frustrates me how a lot of makeup gurus drag out a look that I could do on myself in about 5 minutes into a 12 minute video.

And I'm with laurie_lu about the bad lighting. I know it's sometimes difficult for people to get good lighting but when they say "oh in real life this look is beautiful but you can't see it cos my lighting sucks" it's kinda like well why bother watching if I'm not gunna be able to see what it looks like?

Originally Posted by Scarlette /img/forum/go_quote.gif I hate it when they become a semi-celebrity just because they have a video camera and a collection of makeup. Not too long ago, I saw a news program that featured one of these "makeup artists" on YouTube. WHY?? Call me jealous or crazy, but I seriously do not think people deserve fame just from posting a couple You tube videos. Ha Ha, so agree! But honestyly; i love that the ladies are putting themselves out there
glasses.gif

So far, i had a lot of help from the rewievs. And the "um-ing, ah-ing and eh-ing" are very funny. too! : P

I agree with what everyone else has said but I think what gets on my nerves is so many smaller companies are sending the well known gurus their products and then they'll rave and rave and rave, do one look with those products and you never hear of them using it again. If the product was so freaking good, then why only do one look with it? I don't even listen to what those gurus rave about anymore. I would rave too if it was for free.

I also hate when a 5 minute video is turned into a 20 min one.

I also hate when they show swatches or products and the lighting is really crappy or they hold it up not long enough to actually see it.

Originally Posted by reesesilverstar /img/forum/go_quote.gif Can we get a "Amen?"
I really do hate that... And doing the stuff ppl watched your video to see, OFF CAMERA! The celeb status thing too... There's one in particular who just puts makeup on... No tips, no tricks... But anyhoo...

I hate the Youtube "reviews" also... Some co sends you their product and suddenly it's the best thing we never had so we all must run out and buy it... Booo...

And the ghetto gurus... Oh my goodness... If you can't talk properly, why are you making videos? I wanna learn something, not spend time trying to decipher what you're saying or you cursing every next 2 words... Very unnecessary...

~claps~ thank u lol I think i know which one(s) you are talking about .....but i did laugh when one said "burn her scalp to the white meat" i just all most died of laughter
laughing.gif

Wow I didn't think that such negative comments would come out about people who try to help us.

I personnaly love the blabbing and the long videos of gurus I like.

I simply don't suscribe to gurus whom I would not watch for a long time or don't care for.

Gurus were the reason why I didn't came close to make-up... hidious styles, hidious talking, hidious make-up and hidious ideas about clothing.

thanks to more sensible friends I do like make-up now

When they spend a whole lot of time talking about a whole lot of nothing. I saw one yesterday that was just shocking. It sounds like someone is doing construction in the back ground and the girl doing the video couldn't express herself without foul language. Don't get me wrong I can out curse a sailor but I really don't want to hear that on a makeup tutorial.

Back