Filling In Brows

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been watching quite a few youtube makeup tutorials lately and I loveee the pin up look but every time I see a tutorial on that sort of thing (either traditional Marilyn Monroe style ones or more modern Katy Perry style ones) the girls always fill in their brows and they look really great and they fit in with the look.

My question is, do you think this look is okay for girls with bigger brows?

I have quite thick brows and when I fill them in I feel like I look like I have two catapillers on my face. They just look too over powering and they make my eyes sink into my face.

I really love the look but it seems like it suits girls with thinner brows more, or maybe I'm just not used to it on myself and that's why I think it looks too much.

I've tried using brown pencil (I didn't like it), brown eyeshadow with a makeup brush (the colour was better but it still looked too much) and a eyebrow brush dipped in brown eyeshadow to comb onto the brows (doesn't really make any difference).

I feel the same way. If I try to fill them in they look so "heavy." Maybe I'm not used to it but it just looks weird. It's the only reason I hardly have any eyebrow products.

this sounds weird lol, but i fill in half of my eyebrows. this is because the first half of them is fine and quite thick, but the hairs after my arch are quite sparse and curly so i tend to trim them right down and then fill them in with eyeshadow. i do it first in one line which looks too heavy and then with a cotton bud sort of blend it into my skin so it doesn't look too fake.

You have to do it the way it suits your face. I have semi full eyebrows and I have to use a light powder and i only shade llike the last half. If i shade in the area closest to my nose it looks really overdone and crazy. So i think you can do it you jut have to play around with it.

I use NYX brow powder and a brush and if i do too much i get a spoolie to even out the color.

Megan Fox has healthy sized brows and she fills them in.
smile.gif
It's all about getting the right size/shape for your face!

I brush up the hair on my brows and use a brow brush and ardell brow powder to fill in any gaps that I have. I have thickish eyebrows and I dont t hink it looks too over-powering...who knows maybe im walking around looking like a clown and no ones telling me? lol

Maybe you're using a pencil that is not quite the right colour? Try the brown ardell ones if you can, they're really subtle but still good! I find wax is easier/less dramatic than pencil, generally - I have ardell pencils, which I like, and a model. co brow kit that I love.

If you look at a lot of my FOTDs, I'm wearing something on my brows. Maybe that will help you decide for yourself whether or not you think it's too unnatural
smile.gif
just check out my notepad

Hi there! I looked at your photo and it looks like you could totally fill yours in with powder. I'd go for something just a tad darker than your own brow color and get a really hard angle brow brush. I like to use MAC's eyeshadow Showstopper to fill in my brows... which is very matte. I put a little product on my brush and pat/stipple/brush it on , building layers until the color starts to show up. I also use brow stencils which help give me a really defined look.

Thanks for all the tips! I'm gunna have a go at the things you guys suggested and see if I like any of them
smile.gif

Filled in, or made up brows are totally the look this year. The tricks is to use powder, that's 1/2 shades lighter than your hair color. If you match, it always looks way too heavy, or too dark. You'll get a more natural look that way, along with the 'made up' brow. Also, if you need pencil to fill in, apply pencil AFTER you've appled shadow where you need it. Also, a more natural look that way.

hope that helps!

elke

i think as somone else stated you have to fill in to suit your face..i have thin brows...years of plucking caught up with me..so i have to fill in to give my eye makeup that pop...but if you have natural full brows groom them and rock on..

i use milani eyebrow pencil in taupe, its perfect for my lighter eyebrows. i only use it to emphasize the arch ( i wish i had those really high eyebrows, so i try)

someone that needs a clue about filling in eyebrows is Becky Buckwild on VH1's 'I Love Money 2'
smile.gif
they are severe!

I never start filling my brows starting from the beginning. Doing that will deposit too much powder in the beginning and look very harsh. I used to have the same problem you have but I started to thin out my eyebrow and start filling my brows starting 1/3 way in and using the remainder of the shadow on my brush to lightly fill in the beginning.

I always brush my brows up with a clean mascara wand, then i fill them in and as they're getting fuller now, i can concentrate on the "tail", that's where i put the color. Tap, tap, tap and build up.

I like dark brows and have never been comfortable with lighter shades to fill them in, so i use my shade which is a dark almost black brown (MAC's Stud pencil), then i blend with my #266 brush. I finish with wax on top and a last combing if needed.

Also, Elke has made a video you can find on YT about eyebrows, she explains the different guildelines you can use and i always use her tips to tweeze and fill in mine.

i also only fill in half of my eyebrows, i have blonde hair but i have a LOT of it.

so i only fill in the area where the hairs are thick enough that they are visable typicly. the areas above and below that i just leave so i dont get a caterpillar look.

Yup, that's my new routine now too.. I fill in from the tail end of my brows... It really does help them not looking overpowering.

Back