MAC discontinuing Russian Red?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was in a MAC store in London the other day, buying my monthly supply of their Russian Red lipstick, and the MA told me that MAC were discontinuing it at the end of April/May (can't remember which).

Has anyone else heard about this?

Is anyone else absolutely devastated? It's my favourite red lipstick, I can't imagine why they'd want to discontinue it!

What? But surely that's one of their iconic products! It would be like NARS discontinuing Orgasm
kopfkratz.gif

My favourite MAC red is Lady Bug - it's LOVE for me , Russian Red wasn't quite right for my skintone.

That's what I thought - that surely they wouldn't discontinue it, considering everyone loves it! The girl who worked there said she was really upset about it, but maybe she misheard something somewhere along the lines.

At least, I hope she did.

Wow... no way, I don't think they'll ever discontinue it. I hope not anyway... I have to get one ASAP.

I´ve wanted to try Russian Red for ages as I´ve seen it in magazines and it looks so nice. They can´t be discontinuing it?!

I wouldn't have thought so, but it'd be big news if they did! so let's hope not!

Considering it's one of MAC most popular reds, I can't really see them D/C it. You never know though.

I feel reassured by the fact that nobody else can imagine it. I'm going to assume the girl got something mixed up, and go about my life happy.
smile.gif

I don't see the point of discontinuing it since a lot of people love it. but we have 3 MAC stores in our country. been to all three of em and the 2 stores were out of stock and the other one had one last stock left, which i was able to buy! lol

Yes I read on Kim K's blog that its gonna be discontinued but they're coming up with a new one called Ruffian Red. Im not sure if its limited edition or what

I looked on the website and it doesn't have the triangle of death next to it but you never know...
frown.gif

I keep meaning to get this color. It's such a classic and I'm a huge fan of red lipstick. Guess I better go ahead and snatch one up just in case.

I looked up Ruffian Red and it's more of a yellow-red and it is LE. This is what I found:

Fall'09 Demands Cherry Red Lips

red_lip_trend-thumb-500x231.jpg

After the Ruffian show during New York Fashion Week, I walked away with a Ruffian Red lipstick from MAC and am now obsessed with having cherry red lips.

Apparently, so are all the make-up artists at London Fashion Week. Backstage at Danielle Scutt the models' lips were meticulously painted the perfect red; Jourdan Dunn, Catherine McNeil and Jessica Stam walked Giles Deacon's runway with shiny red puckers; red lips matched the stark designs at Nathan Jenden and earlier in the week red lips were an elegant contrast to Charles Anastase's grunge collection.

Looks like my Ruffian Red lipstick's going to be my number one accessory for Fall - if I can make it last that long!

red_lips_danielle_scutt-thumb-499x322.jpg

Source

In MAC’s exclusive partnership with haute design duo, Ruffian, they’ve created a very-limited edition lipstick in Ruffian Red. It’s an amplified formula in a delicious warm, tomato red hue. Ruffian designer Brian Wolk says, “The shade truly captures the Franco-American Allure of our Fall 2009 collection.”

The shade is inspired by a red lacquer 18th century Chinese vase and I cannot wait to see how this lip color will be incorporated on all the models during Ruffian’s runway show happening tonight! Here’s how I’m wearing it this morning - all the modeling agencies will be blowing up my cell phone, I’m sure - LOL!!

Wolk also notes that the color will be incorporated into the collection as well as in other secret, surprising ways. How do you think it will be woven into the show? Let’s dish and see if we can figure it out before the models strut down the runway today?

I wish I could say that this creamy crimson lip color will be available for purchase, but only 500 tubes exist. If you’re attending the Ruffian show in New York tonight, you might be able to snag one for yourself.

mac-ruffian-red_1.jpg

mac-ruffian-red-swatch.jpg

Source

aaa_mac_6.jpg

3907b744724ad5bc_Picture_4.xlarge.jpg

AO4-thumb-200x328.jpg

Nowhere could I find that Russian Red was being discontinued nor that Ruffian Red was replacing it.

Back