Do You Like Your Name?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Growing up I hated mine so bad. It was so uncommon in my area for a girl to be named Adrienne and I would constantly hear "Isn't that a boys name?" Plus, it was one of those names with so many different spellings too. I didn't like the fact the I didn't have a middle name. I was one of the only ones growing up with two names. Now I've found that it isn't that uncommon, I'm glad my parents didn't bother with middle names (much less to fill in on any of my paperwork) and I love my name. The only thing I do hate is hearing my name yelled out in classic Rocky style "ADRIENNE"

Growing up did you ever wish for any other name? If so what was it?

I hated my name growing up, I still don't like it very much. It sounds so weird when people say it for some reason like it isn't my name or something.

I think my big thing is my last name, which I got a lot of crap for while growing up, it's Miles so I got tons of jokes like 'how many miles can you run' and stuff like that but now it's no big deal now that I'm older.

Nope.

If I had a penny for the amount of times I've heard "So, Katie...is that short for Katherine or Kathleen?" I'd be rich.

People always spell it with a y instead of an ie too.

Plus when I was at school there was about 6 other Katie's in my year which was really annoying.

I prefer my middle name which is Louise. A few of my friends and family call me Katie-Lou rather than Katie. And my aunty always calls me Lou.

I like my first name well enough. My middle name is Korean, so it's weird for an American name, but the only reason I don't like it is because of how they spelled it on the birth certificate.

(oddly enough, it was mostly the teachers/administration at my elementary schools who joked about the name. The kids were too young to really understand/think that up, but I guess it did affect me enough to nickname it down to a 'normal' name now.)

...oh. great.

I just google searched it and came across an article: "More silly or unfortunate names" and it's listed on there

although it mentions a few other names: Barb Dwyer, Anna Sasin, and Carrie Oakey (barbed wire, an assassin, and karaoke, respectively)

Which one? Lol. Actually I love my name.. Names.. My given name was an uncles name... He was killed in WW II, but I have a differnet middle name and my chosen fem name is a variation of my given name..

As common as my name is, Jennifer, I love it. There is only one person that I will allow to call me Jenny. I've never been a fan of Jenny. My co worker calls me Jenny May..which isnt even my middle name. My parents almost named me Casey, because my last name is Diaz...sound it out hahahahahaa. MEAN!

That really sucks Annelle! It's ironic that it was in the worst names list.

Am I right Jennifer?

quesadilla.jpg

Mmm. I hated Diaz as my last name. No one could pronounce it correctly for anything. It was always said Die-Ass with a heavy southern accent. But yet anyone could easily say Cameron Diaz...

When I was in grade school I hated my name because it wasn't "pretty" or "elegant" like Victoria or Elizabeth.

But when I got older I liked being the only Kelli in class and even if they misspelled it "Kelly" I could just be like "no, you spelled it wrong."

Also, I am happy my name has a pretty bada** meaning, "Warrior woman, land warrior, warrior queen," etc.

However,

the fact that my middle name is Leigh and my first name is Kelli, it's a little annoying.

phonetically it's : Kel-Lee-Lee with my first and middle name. -___-;;

I never really liked my name growing up, but I like it a lot now. There aren't many with the name Nicole here.. I know one or two, but that's about it. I wish my mom would have given me a middle name though.

I LOVE my name!

Growing up ppl always messed up the pronunciation and they still do, so I just tell them to call me "Reese." In primary school, it wasn't my first name, but rather my surname that children would play with and called me "Sylvester Stallone." After that, I started changing around their names and making THEM cry... So all in all, I made my point and they stopped teasing me
biggrin.gif

I also hated mine growing up. People had, and still do have, trouble pronouncing my name. I have no idea why, because Leticia isn't exactly a tongue twister. Now I really like it. I am lucky that coming from a mixed family that I was the only one to get a Spanish name.
wink.gif
I chose a Spanish name for my daughter as well. Everyone compliments her name, which is Paloma.
smile.gif

My proper name is Laura Faye, which I like..but I don't really like Laura on its own because it's really common..I don't mind people calling me it though.

My name is Bianca i dont hate it and i dont love it. Im neutral i guess. The only thing i dont like is sometimes when the i isn't dotted properly theyll say BLanca.

Originally Posted by magneticheart /img/forum/go_quote.gif Nope.If I had a penny for the amount of times I've heard "So, Katie...is that short for Katherine or Kathleen?" I'd be rich.

People always spell it with a y instead of an ie too.

Plus when I was at school there was about 6 other Katie's in my year which was really annoying.

I prefer my middle name which is Louise. A few of my friends and family call me Katie-Lou rather than Katie. And my aunty always calls me Lou.

that is prob an england thing (the misspelling) because in america the name Katie is a lot more common than the name Katy.
as for me i love my name it is Jayme, so the pronunciationg is normal, and the name is not super common. but the spelling is a little atypical which i like

It´s ok, nothing special. My mom´s other choice would have been Helena but she thought it sounded too "extraordinary". I´m still mad at her for chickening out lol

Lol !!

Mine is nice. I thought it was too heavy to bear as a kid, but although it's a classic french name it's really rare, so i'm happy to have it. There are still some people (*stupid* people) to ask how it is written, or to add an M to make "Maude", or Cl for "Claude". That annoys the hell out of me, 4 letters and you still find it too complicated for you !

But my first name has never bothered me, i guess it's because i've been more teased about my family name.

Yes, I like my name. Most men have it but proud to be one of the few girls who do too
wink.gif

I like my name for an Indian name because it's short and you can really only pronounce it one way. But I do often get it mispronounced.

It's Eeesha but a lot of times I get Esha (short sound for e). Or they pronounce the E as a long A sound. So now when I tell people what my name is I just say it's like Keisha but without the K lol. It would be funny during school though, you always knew a new teacher or a supply teacher was at my name on the attendance list when there was a huge pause before they said it lol.

I've always loved the name Maya and wished that was my name. Or something that was more common that people could pronounce. But now I don't know how I could handle being the 4th or 5th Jennifer or Laura in the room. Laura A, Laura R, Laura Y, Laura G... oh elementary school.. how people were known when had a very common name.

I didnt like it because I thought it was boring but now I like it because its classic so whatever. lol

Back