Before make up preparations?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi,

I just wanted to ask what are the most do neccessary before make up preparations. I went ot the MAC store, and the artist told me I must use moisturizer or else the make up will eventually get screwed up due to my pores. However, thats all the artist mentioned about before make up preparation.

I was wondering if there are any other products I need to use... like exfoliator or toner? However, I mean must use products, as I am trying to save money. THanks

Yeah!! I wash my face (exfoliating every 2 or 3 days), then a moisturizer and then a foundation primer then makeup.. Waiting 3 or 4 minutes afre the moisturizer and the primer..

i would say primer is not nessecary but nice.

the only things that you should be doing every day regardless of makeup or not are washing your face and moisturizer with some sort of sun protection in it

I agree with Orange.

Necessary is washing your face (and trying not to scrub too much around your eye area) moisturising at night, and then moisturising again in the morning, preferably with a product with sunscreen protection in it.

I find that the quickest way to prepare is to put on my moisturiser, let that sink in and get dressed or whatever, then mix foundation with primer, apply, add powder
smile.gif

This will give you the smoothest, nicest looking finish, but like orange said, primer is not necessary.

For the sake of your skin later on (aging) I would say that moisturiser IS necessary though!

agreed!!

exfoliate 2-3x a week!!

always remove all makeup thoroughly (with cleanser not wipes!!)

toner/tonic is optional

but it is not too early for anyone to be using eye cream, the undereye is very delicate and your face cream is too rich for there!!

and then finally facial moisturiser!

Wash daily, exfoliate 2-3 times per week, moisturize. Primer is not necessary to me. But to stress the importance of moisturizing, I have oily, acne-prone skin and I still must moisturize twice daily or less the texture of my skin becomes rough which not only feels bad but makes a horrible canvas for foundation.
smile.gif

I see from this thread that moisturizing is definitely important! LOL I just learned that.
smile.gif
Anyone recommend a good moisturizer to wear with minimal makeup, aka no foundation and just mascara? My skin always feels itchy and dry, and gets oily fast.
frown.gif

Do you know your skintype ? That's the surest way to find a good moisturizer. If not, ask a salesperson. Look for a normal skintype's moisturizer, and see if that's enough for you, or if you need a moisturizer for dry skins.

For the oiliness, i suggest you see first if the setting powder is enough to control it, and if not, there are specific primers as well as oil controlling moisturizers available on the market, surely you'll find something that works for you
smile.gif

I just tried some Clinique Dramatically Different lotion today and my skin is WAY too oily for it. It's currently like a greasepit x_x Thanks for the suggestion! I will look around.

Everyone's skin prep will be different due to their skin and its needs... Mine is this:

- Wash face

- Toner (ONLY if your cleanser is NOT pH balanced to the skin's pH between 4 and 6. NOT 7...neutral is not a happy place for your skin so you do need a toner. If your skincare is pH balanced to the skin then no toner is necessary unless you feel like doing an extra step.)

- Moisturize (what type depends on your skin)

- Apply Prep+Prime Face Protect SPF 50 (I do this whether I wear makeup or not)

For me, foundation primer makes a huge difference in how my foundation wears through the day and looks as well, but everyone is different. I also exfoliate my face 2x a week and that is it...be careful if you are doing it more often than that, sometimes you can do more harm than good to your skin by over exfoliating.

Originally Posted by Glamunition /img/forum/go_quote.gif I just tried some Clinique Dramatically Different lotion today and my skin is WAY too oily for it. It's currently like a greasepit x_x Thanks for the suggestion! I will look around. I tried this years ago when my mom gave it to me...my skin did the same thing. I have never had luck with anything from Clinique honestly, I gave up on them a long time ago.
frown.gif

Originally Posted by Karren /img/forum/go_quote.gif Yeah!! I wash my face (exfoliating every 2 or 3 days), then a moisturizer and then a foundation primer then makeup.. Waiting 3 or 4 minutes afre the moisturizer and the primer.. Yep, me too. Except, I usually only use primer if I'm going out, and it's gonna be a long night.
smile.gif

Before makeup application, I always give my face a clean rinse... depending how dirty my face is and how I feel, I usually do a cold water rinse and use mild face wash if it's really dirty. I wash my face every night with cold water if I am not wearing makeup. IF i am wearing makeup, i use a gentle exfoliator to get rid of the residue. In the morning I wash my face with cold water as well. However, if I had to describe my "serious" makeup prep day for my skin, I will definitely give it a clean wash, toner, face cream, sunscreen, face primer, lip primer, and eye shadow primer underneath foundation, and loose powder for it to last all day and all night. Most days if I wear light make up, i just use cold water, face cream, sunscreen, and powder.

Morning makeup prep ritual:

1. Cleanse...every other day I exfoliate w/ a scrubbing cleanser

2. Spritz w/ vitamin C and water

3. Serum (changes, depending on how my skin looks, feels)

4. Moisturize

5. Sunscreen

6. Makeup primer (optional...some days I do, some days not...makeup always looks better at the end of the day if I do)

Back