MAC187 shedding

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Has anyone had a problem with MAC 187 brush shedding? I've had mine for 2 or 3 years but I didn't start to use it every day until about a year ago. It always leaves small hairs on my face when I use it, pretty frustrating.

How often do you wash the brush Edda? Btw Hi!!

Most often when it is a lot of short or tiny hairs, it can be bacteria actually snacking on the hairs of your brush. I would recommend shampooing the brush more often and then using a brush cleaner afterward that has a bit of alcohol to disinfect the brush bristles.

If it is a lot of long hairs, then it sounds like water has gotten into the base of the brush and has loosened the brush bristles from the glue that helps hold them in. Always make sure when you wash your brushes to keep the bristles facing downwards and let the brush air dry on its side, never with the bristles facing upwards.

If it is only a couple of long hairs and only every now and then, honestly that is normal...most high end brushes are handmade, and all of MAC's are excepting the brush sets. It will happen that some hairs will be lost, but the better care you take of your brushes, the better condition they will be in and will lose fewer hairs.

Originally Posted by MACGoddess /img/forum/go_quote.gif How often do you wash the brush Edda? Btw Hi!!
Most often when it is a lot of short or tiny hairs, it can be bacteria actually snacking on the hairs of your brush. I would recommend shampooing the brush more often and then using a brush cleaner afterward that has a bit of alcohol to disinfect the brush bristles.

If it is a lot of long hairs, then it sounds like water has gotten into the base of the brush and has loosened the brush bristles from the glue that helps hold them in. Always make sure when you wash your brushes to keep the bristles facing downwards and let the brush air dry on its side, never with the bristles facing upwards.

If it is only a couple of long hairs and only every now and then, honestly that is normal...most high end brushes are handmade, and all of MAC's are excepting the brush sets. It will happen that some hairs will be lost, but the better care you take of your brushes, the better condition they will be in and will lose fewer hairs.

Hey Leila, long time no see! How are you?
I wash it with baby shampoo 1 to 2 times a week, and let it dry on the side. It's very short hairs that are coming off. How often do you recommend washing it? I have the MAC brush cleaner so I could try using that also like you recommended.

I would keep up with the shampoo 2x a week at least, but whenever you run out of baby shampoo, I would recommend not using that. Get a shampoo for color treated hair instead, it keeps the bristles more moist and allows less dryness and breakage to happen.

After you wash, get a paper towel, put a little brush cleaner on it, and work the brush through it. Then lay it flat and let it dry.

For now, since you are still using the baby shampoo on your brushes, put a little conditioner on after you shampoo them, let it sit for a few minutes, then rinse really well. Let me know if that makes a difference. The little bristles might be coming from bacteria, but they also might be coming from the baby shampoo.

Back