Foundation and powder confused

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone! First thank you for this active community.. I've been lurking and finally signed up because I have question! After searching I can't find my answers!

I don't wear foundation or powder but want to start because I've been noticing how uneven my skin tone is! I'm really pale but I have red areas sometimes, mainly because of acne (from hormones). I have combination skin.. oily in the T but it can be sensitive and it becomes dry after I use certain products on it. I have no idea what to wear! Foundation, powder, concealer what?? And I'm so pale I've never had luck with anything I've tried so I gave up a couple years ago. but now I'm trying again. lol I want something that won't clog my pores or dry it out too much, advice?!

Thanks!
rockwoot.gif

Welcome to mut
smile.gif

I'm not very good with specific products but I'll try and help with what they do. If you have uneven skin you might want to use a bit of concealer on your red areas and stuff, you could use regular concealer in a shade close to your skin tone or you could go for the corrector ones in the pallettes where they have green concealer because green apparantly cancels out redness.

People mainly use powder to 'set' their foundation so it lasts longer and doesn't look shiny but powder on its own usually doesn't give very much coverage.

Hope that made sense
smile.gif

I'll second the above that a green concealer does wonders for uneven skintone/redness as it balances out the colour.

I personally prefer loose powder mineral foundation to liquid or cream because I don't like heavy coverage and it doesn't break me out like a lot of liquid foundations have in the past.

A lot of mineral companies give out free/cheap samples so if you're wanting to try loads of shades/formulations this is a really inexpensive way to do it.

Lily Lolo is my favourite foundation but i'm not sure what the shipping costs are like to the states. Everyday minerals have a free sample kit which would let you try out 3 different foundations plus the green (mint) concealer.

i am also very pale, i suggest a concealer for the red, but this is not nessecary if you find a foundation that works well for you.

i would also skip the mineral or powdered make up. i find that i am so pale that even if the color is right for me you can see it sitting on my skin. I go straight to the tinted moisturizer. The reason i do this is because i find you have a little more give and leway with tinted moisturizers tha you do with regular foundation. I personally use bobbi brown, but they are kinda pricey, so you could also try looking at stuff in the drug store, ianother thing iw ould recomend that i would not normaly is some sort of blue toned primer. The reason i recomend this is because it gives you even more le-way with your foundation. I have one foundation that is ever so slightly to dark for me in the winter and by using the blue primer it lightens my skin more, which when blended with the to dark foundation it makes my skin the proper color.

Thanks everyone, that is so helpful!

I only have money for drugstore products right now so I will try to pick up something today and update you
smile.gif

yes, agreed, I think i would go for a tinted moisturiser for sensitive skin, the one by clinique is really quite good. Something with spf in it.

If you haven't worn foundation in a long long time then it will take some getting used to again, and tinted moisturiser is a great place to start. Then if you want more heavy coverage, use powder and concealer
smile.gif

(concealer first, then moisturiser, then powder)

If you are only concerned about uneven skin, and not acne, you should look for a tinted moisterizer. they are usually cheap and they can last a while depending if your skin is oily or not. I use them while I'm at home and I don't want to wear makeup so I don't look like the monster from the blue lagoon lol. I would try using maybe ELF tinted moisterizer to see how it feels and then try more expensive brands if you can't find a color you like :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Hope that helps. Also a lil powder on top should give you a good and matte finish

I googled tinted moisturizer and found out that you actually make ur own.

by mixing ur foundation (liquid or mineral) with your moisturizer. i tried it yesterday and it really works! amaazing
smile.gif

no mored dry face.

You can order mineral makeup samples online for less than you could buy a foundation in drugstore and get different color selections to blend with each other or even mix with your moisturizer to make your own tinted moisturizer. Use about 50/50 mineral powders to moisturizer. My favorite mineral foundations are Egminerals Youthful Glow. Their samples are less than $1.00

Latest posts

Back