'Things a person should do to avoid problems later in life' thread

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This thread is for all you people to tell us young people things that we should avoid doing at our young age to avoid problems later in life:

Example: -floss your teeth everyday

-exercise often

-drinking enough water

-don't smoke

dont quit a job unless you give two weeks notice first. You will regret not being able to put it on your resume.

dont fail out of college, it is extremely difficult to get back into school

Do something your not exactly comfortable with, it may benefit you. I.e. I was the quiest, shiest person,I would have panic attacks before doing anything that required me to present anything infront of a class...I would pace, shake, sweat and be very irritable. Then I enterted a program/competition that was intended to find an ambassador to represent the youth and the communtiy that was based on public speaking. My 1st time was infront of 200 people or so, followed by many other speaches that I was required to perform. I ended up winning that title, and advanced to competing on a provincial level in which I had to present several speachs infront of 500 people, and I even won an award for my public speaking skills.. Whats best is that when I preformed those last speaches, I was not scared, I was excited. Plus I got a great accomplisment to add to my resume.

try to plan for your future, it sneaks up on you! Best thing an Uncle told me, line up a new job before you quit the last one

Originally Posted by usersassychick0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif Do something your not exactly comfortable with, it may benefit you. I.e. I was the quiest, shiest person,I would have panic attacks before doing anything that required me to present anything infront of a class...I would pace, shake, sweat and be very irritable. Then I enterted a program/competition that was intended to find an ambassador to represent the youth and the communtiy that was based on public speaking. My 1st time was infront of 200 people or so, followed by many other speaches that I was required to perform. I ended up winning that title, and advanced to competing on a provincial level in which I had to present several speachs infront of 500 people, and I even won an award for my public speaking skills.. Whats best is that when I preformed those last speaches, I was not scared, I was excited. Plus I got a great accomplisment to add to my resume. wow that's great! Good advice

I totally agree with that darla, I mean, if I want to buy a car in 1.5 -2 years, I have to start thinking about saving up NOW.

Other than that...

don't rub your eyes, it ages your skin quickly
smile.gif
(i'm so paranoid about wrinkled eyes, LOL)

Procrastination is a disease, there is no cure! But it's bad. lol

My mom told me when I got my first job at 16 to start saving $20 a pay cheque for retirement.

Originally Posted by usersassychick0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif Do something your not exactly comfortable with, it may benefit you. I.e. I was the quiest, shiest person,I would have panic attacks before doing anything that required me to present anything infront of a class...I would pace, shake, sweat and be very irritable. Then I enterted a program/competition that was intended to find an ambassador to represent the youth and the communtiy that was based on public speaking. My 1st time was infront of 200 people or so, followed by many other speaches that I was required to perform. I ended up winning that title, and advanced to competing on a provincial level in which I had to present several speachs infront of 500 people, and I even won an award for my public speaking skills.. Whats best is that when I preformed those last speaches, I was not scared, I was excited. Plus I got a great accomplisment to add to my resume. Great advice!

Originally Posted by usersassychick0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif Do something your not exactly comfortable with, it may benefit you. I.e. I was the quiest, shiest person,I would have panic attacks before doing anything that required me to present anything infront of a class...I would pace, shake, sweat and be very irritable. I totally agree with this. I was almost exactly like that...it would get so bad that my voice would sound like I was about ready to break down and cry, and I'd hear it in my voice which would just make me feel even more nervous!
I joined choir and drama in junior high and then in high school I tried out for student council leadership and cheerleading! Growing up as the shy kid doesn't win you a popularity vote, but it was SOOO much of a difference how nervous I was in 6th grade doing a speech in front of 2 peers (our teacher separated us in groups of 3 so we wouldn't be as nervous "public" speaking...and I was still nervous!) than it was in front of 2,000 peers...and then SOOO much easier to do the 2nd time I ran and again spoke in front of 2,000 peers. our football team went to state finals, so I was cheering in front of THOUSANDS of people in the audience and it was televised too! so much fun and so exciting
smile.gif

Being in front of people is so much easier that I know exactly how the nervous ones feel and I can help them feel more comfortable too, instead of sitting alongside them squirming about it. By the time I got to college, classroom presentations were a breeze (I mean seriously, after giving a speech of my own personal thoughts and words to a couple thousand peers in a huge auditorium wondering what they'd think of me and my thoughts... giving a speech to 20 people over stuff I've researched and studied on...just ain't that bad haha), and now at my job, speaking up at a meeting with the CEO sitting 4 chairs down...just isn't as scary as it probably would have been without the experiences I forced myself through
smile.gif
just makes quite a different impression from the shy girl who sounds like she's about ready to cry the second she opens up her mouth!

all good ones! i second the saving!

and orange, i'd second your point too. old jobs will only help you if you leave them properly. no last minute quips back at the boss either, you never know they might turn up in your professional life again..

mine would be to always take 15-30 minutes a day to de-stress, whether it's just going for a quick walk in the evening or taking a nice long bath. relaxed people live longer and it's better for your mental health.

To people you love, like family, your mom or dad, your grandmother for example... do something sweet, give a nice compliment or buy them some flowers, help do the dishes or just a little thing that makes them feel happy.

It will always make you feel great too!

I like to surprise my grandmother (the only one left) with flowers or something, she is the sweetest person, I love her very much. I never know if it's the last time I see her.

You probably know this 'song' but this (still) is the BOMB and fits in here perfect LOL:

Karren you are so rigth about that. Ai remenber when my mom told me since i was little always tell the thrue and if you don't have nothing nice to say don't say it at all and is so true!!!!

wear sunscreen. i've always been very outdoorsy and i'm already seeing the effects in my face in the form of early wrinkles
frown.gif

Back